I have to laugh at some naïveté amongst the local councils

When the tort lawyers finish with the National Council, they will rank order the local councils from richest to poorest. They’re going to come after the richest councils, and they will do their damndest to break any covenants on gifts that they can. 

Mark my words. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, John-in-KC said:

When the tort lawyers finish with the National Council, they will rank order the local councils from richest to poorest. They’re going to come after the richest councils, and they will do their damndest to break any covenants on gifts that they can. 

I remain absolutely stunned that councils still think they can skate on this. They can't.

Just sit back and watch. These statutes are going to tear every BSA council apart.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1

In the not so distant future???

Jimmy, building a fire:  Mr. Scoutmaster, will you sign me off on the requirement for building a fire?

Me:  Jimmy, there aren't any requirements to sign off any more.  The Boy Scouts of America no longer exists.

Jimmy:  Uh, OK, may I still build the fire?

Me:  Sure, have at it ;) 

11 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

The Boy Scouts of America no longer exists.

I am more hopeful than I was, but I am still thinking there's a chance that Boy Scouts of America really does become the first ever Congressionally Chartered group that is liquidated.

Some councils are being somewhat upfront with information concerning the costs associated with the lawsuits but most are not. 

Very interested to see what the TCC releases to LC this week concerning what assets they can keep/sell and how much they are expected to contribute to the settlement.

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, 1980Scouter said:

Very interested to see what the TCC releases to LC this week concerning what assets they can keep/sell and how much they are expected to contribute to the settlement.

Even more interested in

1) I the LC will release that information to local scouters

2) If the LCs will still continue to insist that local donations will stay local. I believe I saw a council fundraiser as recently as this week still making that claim.

22 hours ago, 1980Scouter said:

Some councils are being somewhat upfront with information concerning the costs associated with the lawsuits but most are not. 

21 hours ago, CynicalScouter said:

Even more interested in

1) I the LC will release that information to local scouters

2) If the LCs will still continue to insist that local donations will stay local. I believe I saw a council fundraiser as recently as this week still making that claim.

I don't know how my LC came up with the figure, but they did. And at the moment that figure is not being released. The council is looking to sell properties to come up with the  money. some are worthless, i.e. property that has no road access and is split down the middle by the interstate, as well as the camps.. Anyone know what a B+ property is valued at?

1 minute ago, 1980Scouter said:

Local council staff are leaving in record numbers. I have been watching multiple LC and I think the staff realizes the end may be near.

If my organization was facing an existential bankruptcy, I'd be looking for the exits. I have obligations, I have no intention to be the last one on a sinking ship out of loyalty to any employer. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Sentinel947 said:

If my organization was facing an existential bankruptcy, I'd be looking for the exits. I have obligations, I have no intention to be the last one on a sinking ship out of loyalty to any employer. 

I agree 100%. The ship is sinking.

3 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I think many have been putting resumes and doing interviews just to hedge their bets.

Some are leaving poor councils and moving to ones that can withstand the lawsuits. If it is SOL laws  or just resources.

49 minutes ago, 1980Scouter said:

Some are leaving poor councils and moving to ones that can withstand the lawsuits. If it is SOL laws  or just resources.

I know that one saw that during the pandemic. Got to a very good spot, all things considered.