Chapter 11 announced - Part 3 - BSA's Toggle Plan

9 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Watching now.

All I can say is: wow. Wait until the video drops tomorrow. Wow.

Just finished.  A couple of newsy time things I heard.

- I expected we could have guessed this, but TCC & the Coalition are working together on their proposal.

- They have a good idea which camps have deed restrictions.  For example, every camp BSA councils came up with as an example as deed protected, was not part of the TCC's settlement offer (they already excluded the camp).  This is regarding LCs.

- They will demand an outside party review and have authority to change BSA's Youth protection policies

- They will start contacting each council next week to provide them their detailed analysis of what camps they will need to sell, what cash they will need to give to settle with the TCC.

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forums work well in many ways, but it is probably not the best way to discuss the difficult feelings of this bankruptcy while also discussing the impact to child sex abuse survivors.  However, there a

The mental fallout from my abuse was mostly dormant prior to the current lawsuit. It would still torment me in idle moments. Or at night sometimes when I lay in bed trying not to blame myself after so

I would like to not lock the thread but we seem to be in a rut that we need to get out of before any progress can be made. Here are some observations that might help. First, human dignity is the

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Just finished.  A couple of newsy time things I heard.

[...]

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

702 attendees.

And a number of the questions in Q&A suggested some askers hadn't attended previous Town Halls. Still far below from the Zoom meeting limit, and well under either the number of state-court plaintiffs or the pre-petition estimate of claims.

Expect at least a dozen more letters from victims on the docket in the next few days.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

- They will demand an outside party review and have authority to change BSA's Youth protection policies

This was what I was expecting, but I'm not clear is it

1. Someone who comes in one time to re-write YP and then leaves
  2. A semi-permanent fixture (like a consent decree compliance monitor) who monitors BSA's compliance for a set period of time
  3. Both?
13 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

- They will start contacting each council next week to provide them their detailed analysis of what camps they will need to sell, what cash they will need to give to settle with the TCC.

Which means the week after that, time to start calling your LCs and see if they will share the information. I think there's a lot of stomachs are about to drop in LCs.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Which means the week after that, time to start calling your LCs and see if they will share the information. I think there's a lot of stomachs are about to drop in LCs.

Which I will be doing as well, both directly and to their attorneys. I’ve already drafted the email. I’m 99% sure I won’t get it, but I’m going on record as having made the request. It may be an “early and often” scenario if they refuse. I can be a very pesky gnat with shape-shifting ability if/when a rhino becomes more appropriate. 

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

This was what I was expecting, but I'm not clear is it

1. Someone who comes in one time to re-write YP and then leaves
  2. A semi-permanent fixture (like a consent decree compliance monitor) who monitors BSA's compliance for a set period of time
  3. Both?

It isn't the TCC's job to revise the BSA's YPT program, it's the BSA's.  The fact that the BSA has offered NOTHING to this point while acknowledging and apologizing for past abuse speaks volumes.  Safe to assume this is the TCC's way of saying "DO SOMETHING."  That said, the TCC has also stated that the monetary issues are foremost for now and until they are resolved other issues won't be used as bargaining chips needlessly.  Only then will YPT and IV Files come to the forefront.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

The fact that the BSA has offered NOTHING to this point while acknowledging and apologizing for past abuse speaks volumes.

As far as BSA is concerned, their modern YPT program is the best, most perfect thing and needs no improvements.

And just coincidence I am sure, but the entire YPT program is being "updated" effective June 1.

May be an image of text that says 'On June 1, 2021, the BSA will be updating the material in the Youth Protection Training modules The addition of the revised modules will erase all partial training when they become active. If you have completed some of the modules, but not completed the entire course, please complete your remaining Training prior to June 1st. That will ensure you get credit for all the Training you completed WITH YOUTH YOUTH PROTECTION SNIEES POSENOS BEGINS WITH YOU!'

46 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

The fact that the BSA has offered NOTHING to this point while acknowledging and apologizing for past abuse speaks volumes. 

YPT has changed every couple of years. Examples include not allowing Scouts more than 2 years apart from sharing tents. A couple of years before that, you need 2 21 year old adults, not just 1. Also all registered users need YPT, vs direct contact. 

Even recently, troops can’t have any adults in Scoutbook that aren’t registered (and YPT). 

These are just off the top of my head. It is an ongoing thing. It is far from NOTHING. You must not be a current leader, as we have to stay up to date on the rules and constantly correct those who forget about the new rules vs the old. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
8 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

constantly correct those who forget about the new rules vs the old. 

As I said before: I want to see Clery style reports in which councils are required to report how many YP violations occur per year and the results (aggregated so no names).

I'm betting that the number of "corrections" is absurdly low to this day.

58 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

As far as BSA is concerned, their modern YPT program is the best, most perfect thing and needs no improvements.

And just coincidence I am sure, but the entire YPT program is being "updated" effective June 1.

May be an image of text that says 'On June 1, 2021, the BSA will be updating the material in the Youth Protection Training modules The addition of the revised modules will erase all partial training when they become active. If you have completed some of the modules, but not completed the entire course, please complete your remaining Training prior to June 1st. That will ensure you get credit for all the Training you completed WITH YOUTH YOUTH PROTECTION SNIEES POSENOS BEGINS WITH YOU!'

My understanding is that they are making the training better for mobile applications and updated some test questions.  One of the councils had that info. 

23 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

As I said before: I want to see Clery style reports in which councils are required to report how many YP violations occur per year and the results (aggregated so no names).

I'm betting that the number of "corrections" is absurdly low to this day.

I agree. You don’t need to be thrown out depending on the violation, but a trend would be useful. It is done in industrial safety systems all of the time. At my work you could have 1 minor safety infraction and it would just go on your record. A trend of minor infractions, is a problem. For a medium infraction, you may get sent home for a day without pay. You can get fired for a major infraction. We are not talking an injury here, just not following the rules. I know there is another thread on how to improve YPT. This would be one. 

I might have said this before, but no “corrections” or “near misses” would say you are not looking hard enough and your system isn’t healthy. 

Edited by mrjohns2
8 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

It is an ongoing thing. It is far from NOTHING. You must not be a current leader, as we have to stay up to date on the rules and constantly correct those who forget about the new rules vs the old. 

I think you misunderstood what MYCVAStory meant. BSA has “done nothing,” as in produced not even a sentence of revision or commentary about how YPT will be improved in response to the TCC’s non-monetary demand to upgrade the program. “Done nothing” within the context of the bankruptcy negotiations, mediation, conversations, Plan documents and etc. I believe that is what he meant. The town hall statement is another invitation, less gentle, to tell the BSA to get off the dime on this and put forth some detailed commitments. 

Edited by ThenNow
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, ThenNow said:

I think you misunderstood what MYCVAStory meant. BSA has “done nothing,” as in produced not even a sentence of revision or commentary about how YPT will be improved in response to the TCC’s non-monetary demand to upgrade the program. “Done nothing” within the context of the bankruptcy negotiations, mediation, conversations, Plan documents and etc. I believe that is what he meant. The town hall statement is another invitation, less gentle, to tell the BSA to get off the dime on this and put forth some detailed commitments. 

I’m not sure what’s in it for BSA. Will the dollar amount of the settlement be lowered if they provide a plan?

16 minutes ago, qwazse said:

I’m not sure what’s in it for BSA.

Plan approval? Respect the wishes of the victims? Improved public goodwill? Basic smart PR move?

Oh, yeah. What about greater youth protection?

Edited by ThenNow
  • Upvote 2
46 minutes ago, qwazse said:

I’m not sure what’s in it for BSA. Will the dollar amount of the settlement be lowered if they provide a plan?

The plan will not be approved without changes to BSA's youth protection.  The TCC was clear, they need at minimum, the amount from BSA as if they were liquidated + the YPT changes and release of all IVF (redactions as appropriate).

• Upvote 1