New North Dakota law requires BSA be allowed to address public school students during class hours

1 minute ago, SSScout said:

Yes, but I don't think they'll allow you to start a fire in the classroom. This is more about getting scouts and scouters 10-15 minutes in front of a captive audience (public school students during instruction time) once a year.

• CynicalScouter changed the title to New North Dakota law requires BSA be allowed to address public school students during class hours

hmmm. While I agree with the concept of recruiting for scouts, I am not sure it is a good idea to require a public school to have a private organization recruit to a captive audience. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

hmmm. While I agree with the concept of recruiting for scouts, I am not sure it is a good idea to require a public school to have a private organization recruit to a captive audience. 

Shhh! It's ok, because it is BSA!

As someone pointed out during the debate on this bill - by enacting this you are ensuring ANY private entity (or at least ANY not for profit) can come in and demand equal time/equal access to the students

Several large school districts opposed the bill, saying the legislation would open the floodgates for all kinds of clubs to claim they're owed class time for recruitment. Fargo Public Schools board member Robin Nelson said during testimony that the bill is a misdirected effort "to benefit one organization that may be experiencing difficulty in recruiting and retaining membership."