Greater Wyoming Council and Long Peaks Council merge

5/2/2021

"The talks to consolidate both councils began late last year after leaders decided the merge would make the councils more efficient and sustainable."

No new name yet.

https://www.kpvi.com/news/regional_news/greater-wyoming-council-merges-with-colorado-boy-scouts-council/article_059e28ba-6bf1-5bd7-a27a-f9ac600905d3.html

• Upvote 1

That's us. The greater wyoming council had the Northern 2/3 of the state and longs peak had the rest, along with parts of colorado and nebraska. I was told the greater Wyoming council is down to less than 100 people. That's scouts and adults. But they do have a camp right outside of Yellowstone.

I lost track of it, but I was trying to find/refind that list of the new BSA Territories and the councils in each and trying to figure out using that which were the next council mergers to happen. I can think of at least half a dozen councils similar to what you are describing with membership collapsed and/or with financial stress that will kill them unless they merge.

EDIT: Found it. https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Restructure-of-Councils-by-Territory.pdf

So a C500 merged into a C300. Interesting.

NST 2

Great Southwest (C400/G2)
Greater Wyoming (C500/G2)
Pikes Peak (C300/G2)
Denver Area (C100/G2)
Yucca (C500/G2)
Montana (C300/G1)
Longs Peak (C300/G2)
Las Vegas Area (C300/G2)
Crossroads of the West (C300/G2)
Rocky Mountain (C400/G2)
Nevada Area (C400/G2)
Conquistador (C500/G1)
Grand Canyon (C200/G2)
Catalina (C400/G2)

1848043567_Restructure-of-Councils-by-Territory1-page-0011.jpg

Edited by CynicalScouter

This merger is just the start.

There are 112 Girl Scout Councils in the USA ... and their youth membership is at ~1.8 million.  I expect they lost numbers due to Covid, but likely much more than the <800,000 left in the BSA.

16 territories and 7 councils per territory gets you to the 112 number.  I wouldn't be surprised if we are headed that way.  So we may see 100+ councils disappear in the next 2-5 years.

1 minute ago, Eagle1993 said:

This merger is just the start.

There are 112 Girl Scout Councils in the USA ... and their youth membership is at ~1.8 million.  I expect they lost numbers due to Covid, but likely much more than the <800,000 left in the BSA.

16 territories and 7 councils per territory gets you to the 112 number.  I wouldn't be surprised if we are headed that way.  So we may see 100+ councils disappear in the next 2-5 years.

I pulled this conversation into another thread.

• Thanks 1