Birdfeeders like Scouts should be Clean :)

Each year, especially during late winter and early spring, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) receives reports of sick or dead birds at feeder locations. Buckardt Thomas, an avian ecologist for the DNR, says unsanitary conditions at birdfeeders can lead to the spread of several diseases including aspergillosis,, salmonella, and conjunctivitis amongst birds that frequent these feeders.

“Practicing good hygiene at feeder stations is the key,” she said. “Clean birdfeeders and waterers with a 10-percent bleach solution about once each month and make sure the feeder is dry before refilling it with seed.”

Cleaning up spilled seed and bird droppings below feeders is another important preventive measure those who maintain feeders should practice regularly.  ( I will be scout-like and not speak of squirrels. - RS)

“Be sure to wear rubber gloves while cleaning the feeders, since humans can contract some diseases, such as those caused by some salmonella bacteria, from affected feeders or sick birds,” Buckardt Thomas said.

If you find a sick bird or birds at your feeders, Buckardt Thomas recommends taking down the feeders for at least two weeks to help stop the spread of disease. She also encourages contacting your local wildlife agency.

In Iowa, members of Gilbert Boy Scouts Troop 157 have their  annual birdfeeder cleaning fundraiser from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 1, at Wild Birds Unlimited Nature Shop, 213 Duff Ave., in Ames.

Feeders can be dropped off today at the store or until noon Sunday. Feeders will be ready for pickup after noon Saturday or from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday.

The suggested donation is $5 per feeder, but additional donations are encouraged. All proceeds go to the troop. :D

Source link:

https://www.amestrib.com/story/sports/outdoors/2021/04/29/todd-burras-column-spring-feeder-cleaning-birds/4888780001/

• Like 1
7 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

If you find a sick bird or birds at your feeders, Buckardt Thomas recommends taking down the feeders for at least two weeks to help stop the spread of disease.

Social distance, flatten the curve.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

Social distance, flatten the curve.

This is no joke. This spring, during the pine siskin irruption and concurrent salmonella outbreak, online birding groups sounded just like online corona discussions. One I'm in had to ban "feeder shaming" when people who'd never seen a sick bird did not go above and beyond recommendations and remove all their feeders for a month. People posting old pictures of birds at feeders felt the need to qualify their descriptions by explaining that the photos were not recent. Lots of ugliness.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Sniktaw said:

This is no joke. This spring, during the pine siskin irruption and concurrent salmonella outbreak, online birding groups sounded just like online corona discussions. One I'm in had to ban "feeder shaming" when people who'd never seen a sick bird did not go above and beyond recommendations and remove all their feeders for a month. People posting old pictures of birds at feeders felt the need to qualify their descriptions by explaining that the photos were not recent. Lots of ugliness.

I don't know why people are even putting feeders out now. It's bear season. 

Another way BSA is so out of touch with current practices. They really need to pad out their advisory boards to include people outside of scouting from Audubon, Cornell, Sierra Club, etc. 

There are no bears where I live, and I don't think there are any in Ames Iowa --- or in most of the more populated areas of the country.

I have feeders out and filled all year round.  I do know to periodically clean them with detergent and water.

Edited by T2Eagle
  • Like 1