Oh goody, I need to plan a pack meeting in 20 hours.

Cubmaster had an emergency pop up with his move and hasn't had time to plan.  I'm the assistant.  Need some idea for a Pack Meeting tomorrow night (Thursday).  We have a very small pack - 2 Tigers, 2 Bears, and maybe 1 Webelos.  One of my tasks is to have an annual plan by July, but for now, I need some ideas.  We usually open with GaGa ball as a gathering activity.  No time for dens to plan skits.  We have some awards to give out, including 2 Bobcats.  We can review our recent campout, and maybe discuss our next one, but beyond that, I have no ideas.  I'm rusty on the Cub Scout thing - much more comfortable as a Scouts BSA leader.

Everyone has amazon boxes and packing junk at home right now, right? Tell them to bring boxes, bags, duct tape, whatever. Whoever creates the most amazing Recycling Creature wins a prize. However, if you can go outside, do something outside. Flashlights. Night hike. Talk about nocturnal animals. Even in cities you've got rats, raccoons and bats. 

Just to follow up in case someone else gets in a jam.  I had the kids play Ga Ga ball as a gathering activity.  We then came together and I had 1 den lead the Pledge and the other lead the Scout Oath and Law.  I then asked who enjoyed the Cuboree, favorite activities, and pumped them up for future camping trips.  After that, I had them play sharks and minnows as a team-building game.  We had a family join a few weeks ago, so I'm trying to help their Tiger and Bear get as many requirements knocked out as possible.  After a couple of rounds, the kids were tired - possible ulterior motive from a parent standpoint - so we came back to the gathering spot.  We discussed team work and how it was easier to catch the minnows when there were more sharks, and what other activities are made easier with teams.  Finally, we awarded belt loops.  The 2 new Scouts were supposed to be awarded their Bobcat, but their dad had to work and I knew he wanted to be there for it.  I'm pretty sure he flew over us, because 5 minutes after he was supposed to take off, a couple of UH-60s flew over at the minimum allowed altitude, and fairly slow.  Once we were done, I released them to go play until their parents were ready to leave.  

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

This is way after the fact but for future reference:

The easiest Pack meeting we do each year is a Paper Airplane Derby.

Bring a stack of printer paper, have the dens make planes and compete for distance, style, highest flyer, stunt planes, etc.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Tiny dens/packs can pose a problem. Usually the pack meeting should be built around the cubs and the dens rotate doing an opening, skit, song, refreshments, and closing. The advancement chairman takes care of the advancement ceremony (including inducting new cubs and their parents) and the committee chair or CM handles announcements. Once a rotation is in place it all pretty much goes on auto pilot.