Why Scouting Matters website

FYI:

" Why Scouting Matters is an independent grassroots organization, founded in 2021 by James Pooley, Mike S. Malone and Gordon G. Andrew, and dedicated to saving Scouting for future generations. Through its website, the initiative seeks to collect petition signatures and compelling stories that validate the importance and influence of Scouting in America. To show your support and your story, visit www.whyscoutingmatters.com "

Source:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/grassroots-initiative-intends-to-help-restore-nations-confidence-in-the-boy-scouts-of-america-301277726.html

"Only on-topic responses, please."

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1

We know there are negative stories associated with Scouting. We respect the validity of those stories, but we will not publish them. Our mission is to showcase the overwhelming number of positive experiences Scouting has delivered.

I tend to agree with this comment from the site.  There are countless news sources and forums (ahem) that blast scouting from all sides.  It's great to see a positive message for the tens of millions who benefitted.  I believe in scouting which is why I spend my free time leading a Den, Pack and Troop.  I haven't been fishing in months, haven't gone golfing in over a year as I spend much of my free time working on scouting.  I believe it is a unique experience and greatly benefits those who participate.  Can the BSA improve ... sure, but its the best program available at this time.  I think our country would be much better off if more youth went through scouting and unfortunately, it appears we are headed in the opposite direction.  Hopefully efforts like this can start turning this around.

57 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Why Scouting Matters is an independent grassroots organization

It says the founder of Why Scouting Matters is a council president.  Doesn't sound much like an independent grassroots organization to me.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, David CO said:

It says the founder of Why Scouting Matters is a council president.  Doesn't sound much like an independent grassroots organization to me.

I believe it is considered grass roots as it is not directed by a council or BSA.  The council president is a volunteer role ... so he is a BSA volunteer.

I'm actually surprised someone so high up in scouting (a Council President & National Board Advisor) is basically saying BSA may die.  To me, I wish more would step up and say this out loud.

8 minutes ago, David CO said:

While I agree I also think both sides of the bsa needs to be seen. Nobody is perfectly good or perfectly bad. Some of the best lessons come from grappling with the good and bad in people, or organizations. Nobody is ever simple.

That's a pretty slick PR website and package. I wonder where the funding did come from? At least one of those people has connections to a Council with cases of concern and very significant assets to lose. Also it's a pretty common PR strategy when you can't speak for yourself to find a so called objective third party defender. It was something I thought they should have tried a couple of years ago when this all started to counter the firehose of bad publicity.

However, my overall reaction is one of sadness. Whether it is genuinely just three sincere guys who love scouting and put their own money up to help, or some kind of behind the scenes proxy strategy, it seems too little, too late, and too vague. A petition with a million names would be nice, but of what possible real use could it be. 

I guess I am trying to understand what they hope to accomplish with this?  Is it to get TV ads?  From my personal interactions with the non-scouting public, everyone I talk to always seem to have positive feedback on scouting.  I don't think that is what we need to solve.  What we need to get something like this to figure out how to "get the butts in the seats".  What is it that mom and dad need sign their 1st or 2nd grader up for cub scouts?  If they can get TV ads and advertise to those parents, that would be great.  I was hopeful that the TV show would be better.  Sadly, it really wasn't a good show.  

1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

I guess I am trying to understand what they hope to accomplish with this? 

My prediction is they won't be able to resist the temptation to turn their site into a self-congratulatory NESA brag fest with 10, 000 eagle scout stories.  :confused:

If the BSA is taken out, history will show it as a victim of this culture. The noble reputation won’t change and it will be talked about with envy for many years. I’ve passed along countless stories of my dads scouting adventures during WWII. I’ve heard my sons pass along mine, as well as their own. My grandkids will pass them along as well. A fitting legacy for a great program.

Barry

• Upvote 1