A hiker was lost. His cellphone was losing power. He txt'd a friend with photo explaining his situation. Friend called police who asked for help from public to identity location. :huh:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/missing-hiker-found-based-photo-he-texted-los-angeles-area-n1264199

Demonstrate different ways to send your location via your cellphone seems a good exercise for scouts.

1 hour ago, RememberSchiff said:

Regarding above story, wouldn't  extracting GPS properties of photo (feet dangling over cliff) have given hiker location?

Looks like it may be stripped out when texting photos unless they used iMessage.

Sounds like the making of a fun game. First, teach everyone how to send and receive the gps data in a photo. Next, play some sort of tracking game. The "fox" has to send images/gps info to the "hounds" every 5 minutes. The hounds try to run the fox up a tree while the fox just tries to get away. 

• Like 3

Oh the vagaries of today's population.  I am a sometimes guide on a local historic trail concerning the Underground Railroad.  At one of my "stations" I ask where folks would like to "escape" to.  Almost everyone will answer "North".  Okay, on the count of three, point NORTH ! 1, 2, 3....  and look at the lack of consensus.....

No, one cannot navigate by democracy.

The desire to leave one's direction to the mini computer in one's pocket is astounding.   My collection of PAPER road maps, (Alexandria Drafting,  AAA, etc.)  continues to be very useful.   Yes, the sun comes up in the east and goes down to the horizon in the west. Where are those? 

Why was the fellow lost?   That concerns me.  I am very glad he was found safe and sound, but did anyone try to find out HOW he got lost?   Burned down direction signs? Is that it?

Sounds like a good SM Minute (or five) ...  Carry the "essentials".  Prepare for the weather. Tell someone where you are going.  Think about where you are going.  Go with a "buddy".  Every so often look BACKWARD along the way you came, you MAY want to backtrack.  

Charge up your schmartphone?   "Ahoy ahoy? No, you want TWO. This is ONE,  Yes, that's right, two.  Farewell." 

• Upvote 1

There's a report on CBS This Morning, Saturday. Apparently, a comparison of topology between a map and photo was done to locate him.

From LA Sheriff's FB:

******UPDATE - FOUND SAFE******
#LASD has Found the Missing Hiker Safe in the Angeles National Forest

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Teams (SAR) were successful in safely locating missing hiker Rene Compean today, Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at approximately 3:45 p.m., in the Angeles National Forest.

Mr. Compean was reported missing yesterday, Monday, April 12, 2021 at approximately 6:00 p.m. SAR Teams were activated and immediately started to search for Rene in the Mt. Waterman area. They were worried for the missing hiker since it was getting dark and cold. They searched throughout the night without success and a new team was assembled first thing this morning to continue the search.

Unfortunately, Rene did not have his "location" on for his phone, so team members were unable to get his location code from the photo. We were able to send the photo out to the media and on social media platforms hoping someone would recognize the area in the photo and call us to help.

SAR Team members were able to comunnicate with a member of the community who is also an avid hiker in the Angeles National Forest. He shared information he knew about the area pictured in our posts.

Our Air5 started to search in the area of Twin Peaks East and Triplet Rocks where they flew low, and close to the mountain. Through the fog they found Rene safe. He was airlifted to meet with our rescuers and pose for a quick picture (included).

LASD wants to thank everyone that pulled together and helped us find Rene safe and sound so quickly. We greatly appreciate the many phone calls, emails and social media posts with information.

***Are You an Avid Hiker in the Mount Waterman Area?***

#LASD Search and Rescue (SAR) Teams need your help locating a #missing hiker. His car was found near Buckhorn Campground/Trailhead. It is unknown which trail he took from there.

Crescenta Valley Station received a call of a missing hiker from Angeles Crest Highway, Monday, April 12, 2021 at approximately 6:00 p.m.

The caller stated his friend (male Hispanic 45yrs old) text advising he was lost and his cell phone was dying.

The missing hiker sent this picture to his friend earlier in the hike. The hikers legs (in the picture) look dirty possibly from a burn area on the mountain. If you recognize the area pictured below, please call us 818-248-3464.

May be an image of outdoors

Edited by RememberSchiff
19 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

There's a report on CBS This Morning, Saturday. Apparently, a comparison of topology between a map and photo was done to locate him.

Unfortunately, Rene did not have his "location" on for his phone, so team members were unable to get his location code from the photo. We were able to send the photo out to the media and on social media platforms hoping someone would recognize the area in the photo and call us to help.

1 hour ago, SSScout said:

Sounds like a good SM Minute (or five) ...  Carry the "essentials".  Prepare for the weather. Tell someone where you are going.  Think about where you are going.  Go with a "buddy".  Every so often look BACKWARD along the way you came, you MAY want to backtrack.  

Charge up your schmartphone?   "Ahoy ahoy? No, you want TWO. This is ONE,  Yes, that's right, two.  Farewell." 

And enable LOCATION permission for all cellphone apps?

Edited by RememberSchiff

I’d recommend one of these per Patrol ... increasing over time from 1/troop. 

I also recommend part of trip planning include where is cell service?  I’ve included two coverage maps by a provider ... one of the Sierra Nevada near Tahoe, and one of the area near Philmont. 

40CFA093-06CE-4EB4-8B0D-39AA48A42065.png

C9D37FC0-1D91-4EBE-9B64-A0F888DAFFEC.png

• Like 1