Cooking Merit Badge Earned in Half a Day!

• 3 weeks later...

These stories infuriate me as we continue to "dumb-down" the requirements and/or have Scouters involved who are too willing to give away "achievements".   There is NO WAY a Cooking MB can be earned in a single day.   MB requirements are to be completed "as written"... which requires multiple meals to be done "at camp" and other multiple meals to be done while "on a trail hike".

Even with "prerequisites" like First Aid done ahead of time, there is no way any Eagle-required badge can be done in a single day.   

2 hours ago, seguru said:

These stories infuriate me as we continue to "dumb-down" the requirements and/or have Scouters involved who are too willing to give away "achievements".   There is NO WAY a Cooking MB can be earned in a single day.   MB requirements are to be completed "as written"... which requires multiple meals to be done "at camp" and other multiple meals to be done while "on a trail hike".

Even with "prerequisites" like First Aid done ahead of time, there is no way any Eagle-required badge can be done in a single day.   

First off, Welcome to the forum.

Agreed, although Swimming and First Aid could be be earned in a day.  It would be a full day but could be completed in a day.  I think most Eagle MBs have requirements that would keep them from being able to be completed in a day.  I wouldn't recommend them to be rushed through though.  I recently had scouts go through proper Red Cross training for First Aid, CPR/AED, and Wilderness First Aid.  I wondered to myself how well they would sit through the 16 hour Wilderness course but our 5 scouts did great.  We had a great instructor and the scouts were more mature.  (We are Sea Scouts so they are older than Troop scouts.)

The point I have is they should do the requirements as stated, if they can do them in a day, great.  But they still need to actually do them.

• Upvote 3
On 4/15/2021 at 4:29 PM, Jameson76 said:

There is a lot to cooking.  Just the discussions on jobs, meals, safety, etc can take a couple of hours.  The cooking and cleaning, getting feedback takes time.  It can be fun and not onerous, but it does take time.

Yes in deedy.  

For easy clean up, rub soap on the OUTSIDE of the pan...  ""I SAID THE OUTSIDE>>>>""