Recent study on childhood sexuality and effects of our societal exposures to youth.

So, the Academy of Pediatrics is classifying some behaviors as "abnormal" solely because the behavior is demonstrated by less than 1.5% of children.  But how exactly can they think they have accurate information on those rates of prevalence?  Most parents are relatively oblivious to their children's activities in the first place, and now you think those parents are going to be both willing and able to accurately report behavior that their children are likely to be deliberately hiding?  And how exactly do they square up the idea that sexual behaviors are "highly abnormal" and less than 1.5% of children engage in them, when over age 6 when 12% of 12 year olds have had intercourse?

While I certainly don't have personal knowledge outside of my own life, I would imagine children have been "playing doctor" since before that phrase even existed; but in most cases it just got discovered by a parent at some point and dealt with without making a big fuss over it.

This just looks like an article by someone desperate to publish with essentially zero reasoned analysis involved.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:26 PM, David CO said:

The study may be recent, but the behavior isn't.  This has been going on for a long time.

Yes, I agree. But now the culture and community don't show agreement of the bad behavior because activist promote self expression of the youth. Not all that long ago, neighbors would stop and report concerning behaviors to the parents and the parents would take care of their children's issues. Today the community turns a blind eye to the behavior by youth because they don't want to get involved with a hostile response from the parents, and possibly the community. It doesn't even have to be sexual, often the police are called by concerned citizens when they see a child walking to school. 

Talk to any teacher, the trend now is to accept a students sexual choice behavior without reporting it to parents. Parents may be the last to hear their child has made a sexual lifestyle choice, even with their elementary age children. It may be just a brief experiment or phase for the child, but the culture will take it, guide and push them toward that choice.

Barry

• Upvote 1