Hello again, It's been awhile

Howdy!  It's been a long time since I've been active on this forum.  I was active when forming my son's scout troop about 7 or 8 years ago.

We decided on a new troop because most of the other troops in our district were large, troop-method, very adult-led troops.

It's been a challenge for sure:

Some of the adults that thought they wanted a youth led troop and insistence on "no less, no more" would bolt after their scout ran into his first challenge.

We evidently received a reputation in the district for prioritizing our own unit over district activities.

Through it all, we've been very proud of the scouts that stuck with it.  We've had about 7 make Eagle and the troup has never really been larger than 2 patrols.

I've learned alot by visiting this forum and many times topics posted here gave me time to think about issues before they confronted me in our troop.

I ramped down my involvement with the troop about 2 years ago as I was getting burned out with parents, the number of activities I was attending, and missing time with my two daughters.  My son achieved Eagle rank last year and joined the Marines.

I took my daughters camping last fall.  One hated it and pouted the whole time, my youngest had a ball and wanted to go again.  She's in 5th grade.  So I said "Ya know how you could go camping A LOT?"

(cue Aerosmith's Back in the Saddle Again)

My daughter had her first Scouts BSA meeting on Monday and we're camping tonight.  I'm volunteering as an ASM.  I have no intentions on starting a new troop and the number of girl troops in our area are still limited.  I'm going in with an open mind and for now will not be volunteering my opinions on Scouting, Politics or whatever.  If I'm asked my opinion I will be truthful.  

I'm looking forward to my daughter's scouting career.  I'm praying I can live with the "norm" of our district and hoping we can increase focus on the patrol method to rise up to the level of focus on advancement.

It's good to see some familiar folks still here.  It looks like the forum is running a little slow today and I have some work to do before I kick off for the afternoon.

It's good to be back.  I'll need some help I'm sure!

YIS,

koolaidman

• Upvote 3