Adult leader accused of sexually harassing female parents

22 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

I got a bit more detail on the situation.

Yeah, this is the part where you find the nearest door and shove the parent out it. Just what you described violates, easily, 3 different Guide to Safe Scouting/Youth Protection provisions.

Oh, and since he is a volunteer? Scouter Code of Conduct as well.

I will not discuss or engage in any form of sexual conduct while engaged in Scouting activities.

And that is precisely how you need to address it to your Scout Executive (if the DE didn't respond before, skip the DE). Sexual harassment is a no. SEXUAL ACTIVITY during ANY scouting event is a big, giant, glaring, red NO.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It must be nice to have the luxury to fret over a “might try” of anything. But since you asked ... Your committee chair does not have to let anybody sign on as an adult leader to his committee. If y

Not really. The standard is "Who is going to contribute the most to den life?" A mom with a negative experience (in her mind), but willing to give a different pack a try, or. A "might-jo

EXACTLY! This is LITERALLY what they say during the YPT video: is it NOT your job to play investigator. It is your duty to report and let BSA handle it. I really, really do not understand wh

Wow ... this volunteer needs to go immediately.  I would report him as well.  There should be no place for him in any unit or any council.  There are some grey areas where someone may be perceived as flirty.  This one is clearly way over the line when multiple women are reporting that he is openly asking about sexual activities.  BSA is not Tinder.

55 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

The individual, who is married, was proposing a three-some with the consent of his wife on camping trips.  

12 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I would report him as well.  There should be no place for him in any unit or any council.  

Don't forget his wife.  If you are going to report him, report her too.

Edited by David CO
3 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Wow ... this volunteer needs to go immediately.  I would report him as well.  There should be no place for him in any unit or any council.  There are some grey areas where someone may be perceived as flirty.  This one is clearly way over the line when multiple women are reporting that he is openly asking about sexual activities.  BSA is not Tinder.

It apparently was reported to the district exec and the council exec.  Nothing was done.  The guy is pretty popular in the district.  This literally is why we have YPT now and are looking at significant damage to the movement.

We had a similar situation in our district 25 years ago. Everyone knew about it, but they couldn’t do anything because all adults involved were consenting to the situation. The troop and charter liked the guy as a SM, so council didn’t want to get in litigation over it. Council found a reason to kick him out when someone witnesses him offering a scout a beer.

Barry

1 hour ago, Armymutt said:

It apparently was reported to the district exec and the council exec.  Nothing was done.

If he is engaged in sexual activity at a scout event, or even trying, call 844-SCOUTS1 (844-726-8871) or email scouts1st@scouting.org immediately.

EDIT: I cannot stress this enough. As you rightly point out, it is stuff like THIS (good old boys/girls club letting people get away with stuff) that got BSA in the mess it is in now.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

If he is engaged in sexual activity at a scout event, or even trying, call 844-SCOUTS1 (844-726-8871) or email scouts1st@scouting.org immediately.

EDIT: I cannot stress this enough. As you rightly point out, it is stuff like THIS (good old boys/girls club letting people get away with stuff) that got BSA in the mess it is in now.

That's the hard part - never took place to my knowledge because the women were creeped out and left the unit.  

5 hours ago, Armymutt said:

That's the hard part - never took place to my knowledge because the women were creeped out and left the unit.  

That’s not “creeped out.” It’s patently offensive (even among sexually permissive circles) to assume that a single mom would be amenable to polygamy.

Stick up for your moms. Reject this guy.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, qwazse said:

That’s not “creeped out.” It’s patently offensive (even among sexually permissive circles) to assume that a single mom would be amenable to polygamy.

Stick up for your moms. Reject this guy.

They aren't part of my unit yet.  That was a different unit down the road and around the corner.  He can't join our unit, but he's buddy buddy with the Scouting mafia families in this district.

I would still call HQ that you have heard some things which are concerning. Let them investigate. Not our job to seek out or wait for evidence, that is the purpose of investigating. We report concerns.

• Upvote 2

As someone who had to report a longtime volunteer, I can tell you it is not easy. You will be in shock and disbelief. You will feel betrayed. You will not want to report. You will have doubts the situation happened. You will have others doubting it actually happened.

BUT YOU NEED TO REPORT IT FOR THE SCOUTS' SAKE!

You may even need to force the DE and SE to take action. 

Sadly you will also need to be prepared for the consequences. You will be viewed with suspicion by others. You may not be trusted by some. You may be asked to leave PORs. Some folks will be angry at you for reporting.

I was fortunate in that I was moving shortly after the incident. So I didn't have to suffer some of the above for too long. But my friend the SM, DID face the consequences above. 

3 hours ago, DuctTape said:

I would still call HQ that you have heard some things which are concerning. Let them investigate. Not our job to seek out or wait for evidence, that is the purpose of investigating. We report concerns.

I have zero confidence in BSA.  Too many good people have been removed on baseless and unfounded rumors.  Too many bad people have been left in because of influence and money.

19 hours ago, Armymutt said:

I want to reiterate what others have said and that in fact is directly from the Youth Protection Training.

It is not up to YOU to investigate or decide if there is/is not sufficient evidence. If you suspect something, you have to call 844-SCOUTS1 (844-726-8871) or email scouts1st@scouting.org immediately.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, David CO said:

I have zero confidence in BSA.  Too many good people have been removed on baseless and unfounded rumors.  Too many bad people have been left in because of influence and money.

That may be true, but just because others may not be responsible with following through on their part part does not absolve me from doing the right thing. 

• Upvote 2

@Armymutt, unfortunately, as clear cut as this is to you and me, this is not necessarily a YP issue. As my cousin Robbie has stumped for decades, adopting a permissive sexual ethic opens the gate for acceptance of polyamory and, consequently, adult-adult interactions involving proposals along those lines.

So, you are wise to check with council, in your right to select leaders who will put youth ahead of liaisons, and in your right to have a low opinion of someone else’s ethics. But, worrying about what folks at a district level or in another unit give you ulcers needlessly.