BSA Territories Plan

3 hours ago, David CO said:

OK.  My concern has always been that councils do not have enough independence from national.  Councils are supposed to be separate entities.  But they're not.  They are totally controlled by national.  The new territory plan is just more of the same. Read the target goals.  Why is the territory setting council targets?  If councils are independent entities, shouldn't they be setting their own targets based on local needs?

If the bankruptcy court needs proof that BSA actually runs the councils, it has to go no further than the new territories plan.

I sometimes sit and wonder where National ends and Council begins when they happen to office it the same city.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's try and get this back on topic: the new territories plan and tangentially how to staff it. It's not about tenting regs and yp. I believe there are other threads on that topic. I looked at t

BSA enrollment is dropping like a rock.  I guess BSA has gotten an answer.  Not the one it wanted, but an answer all the same.

And yet when offered an opportunity to engage within the Service Territory structure (national) and be part of the solution moving forward look at the responses that followed.

5 hours ago, David CO said:

OK.  My concern has always been that councils do not have enough independence from national.  Councils are supposed to be separate entities.  But they're not.  They are totally controlled by national.  The new territory plan is just more of the same. Read the target goals.  Why is the territory setting council targets?  If councils are independent entities, shouldn't they be setting their own targets based on local needs?

If the bankruptcy court needs proof that BSA actually runs the councils, it has to go no further than the new territories plan.

I think you have to define "totally controlled by national."

I've been involved long enough now at the district/council level that I know well that our council is most certainly not controlled on a day to day basis by national.  I seriously doubt that national even cares about our camporees or other council level activities.

Sure, there are some places where national has established firm rules that must be follow - such as YPT.  But those are not all that prevalent.

I can tell you that in my volunteer work, I see almost no control by national.  

8 hours ago, David CO said:

Not any different than a franchisee would see.