Mar. 25, Maine — Pine Tree Council President Jack O'Toole told scouting parents this week that the council is selling Camp Gustin in Sabattus and Camp Nutter in Acton to raise money for its share of a Boy Scouts of America fund for victims of sexual abuse.

O'Toole wrote. "We have been informed that we will be responsible for a very large cash contribution to go into a 'victims fund.' To put it into perspective, the amount the council will need to contribute will be much more than the total amount that Pine Tree Council has raised in a year."

...more at source link:

https://news.yahoo.com/boy-scouts-selling-sabattus-camp-223000285.html

https://www.sunjournal.com/2021/03/25/boy-scouts-selling-sabattus-camp-gustin-to-raise-money-for-abuse-victims-fund/

Separately earlier this week, a deal to purchase a third Pine Tree Council property, Camp Bomazeen fell through. Back in July, Pine Tree Council decided to sell Camp Bomazeen to raise funds to keep the council afloat. The council’s vote grew from an emergency task force’s recommendation to sell the property to raise money to help address the council’s bleak financial situation, which was made worse by the coronavirus pandemic forcing the cancellation of many Scout activities and fundraisers.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2021/03/21/potential-sale-of-beloved-belgrade-scouting-camp-falls-through/

:(

• Sad 2
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the problem, too, is that we are trying to create these country-club type experiences for people.  Swimming pools, air conditioning, hot showers and flush toilets, climbing towers, ATV program

Really? You're welcome to weed in my backyard any time. I have a great crop of bind weed and some nice thistle. Oh, and lots of mint.

My opinion… councils don’t care.  Mine seems more than happy to be considering dumping their remaining two camps.  They said… go to State Parks.  Camps are seen as a liability to some councils.  Counc

Posted Images

On 3/25/2021 at 10:12 PM, RememberSchiff said:

Mar. 25, Maine — Pine Tree Council President Jack O'Toole told scouting parents this week that the council is selling Camp Gustin in Sabattus ...

“We (Gustin family) ask once again that the council judiciously consider not selling Camp Gustin and that the council look elsewhere for financial securities to support the grossly sexual scandals that have resulted in BSA bankruptcy matters,” Thompson wrote.

Back in 2010, when selling Camp Gustin was first debated, the Gustin family got the advice of an Auburn attorney that “the language in the deed appears to be language of a ‘condition subsequent,’ which means that if breached, the heirs of the grantor have the right to take the premises back,” she said. “However, it’s not our families’ desire to take possession of the land but to keep Camp Gustin as its original full intention to be used as a campsite and for camping by the Boy Scouts as stated in our grandfather’s deed.”

More at source:

https://www.sunjournal.com/2021/03/29/gustin-family-urging-boy-scouts-not-to-sell-sabattuss-camp-gustin/

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 2:43 PM, 1980Scouter said:

Might as well add Lake Erie Council, Camp Stigwandish to the list. It was sold last year for 1.6 million and I am sure all the proceeds will go to the lawsuit as they have 450+ claims. The sale was supposed to support two other council camps and program needs.

“I am sure all the proceeds....” How  are you sure? Are you on the council’s Board of Directors?

On 4/11/2021 at 8:22 AM, Disillusioned said:

“I am sure all the proceeds....” How  are you sure? Are you on the council’s Board of Directors?

I am not. I have been following the BSA lawsuit closely and feel like LEC will have to contribute millions due to all the claims. They sold Stigwandish because they could not afford to operate it. They laid off staff this year, the membership is down significantly. They have not been upfront with what is going on. They may well go bankrupt due to lawsuits that are coming. Even with Ohio's SOL they have millions in liability.

10 minutes ago, jr56 said:

Are James West funds in the various councils subject to being taken in Bankruptcy?

It will all depend on how well they were accounted for. If I understand it right, if they were not comingled, they should be protected. Thus, we have no way of knowing. 

50 minutes ago, jr56 said:

Are James West funds in the various councils subject to being taken in Bankruptcy?

The thing to keep in mind at this point is that EVERYTHING is presumptively on the table unless it can be demonstrated it is restricted, encumbered, or something else.

So Friends of Scouting, West funds, camps, buildings, peanut sales, EVERY asset in a bankruptcy (or lawsuits against LCs for abuse if they cannot get an agreement) is on the table UNLESS a superior claim can be found (so sorry, XYZ Bank already has a mortgage on the summer camp) or a defense made (we can't sell the camp because the donor said if we ever did, the rights revert back to the donor).

Order of the Arrow's another example. I know that BSA National treats the National OA's account as a separate line item for which BSA is merely the custodian of the money. But there are a LOT of councils that treat OA's money as the Council's piggy bank or co-mingle funds like mad, in which case good luck sorting out that mess.

Edited by CynicalScouter
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

CFL's sale is going final.  The plan is to make it a high end family camp ground.  

In other words, it is the same plan that BSA has for its campgrounds.  

Edited by David CO
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, David CO said:

In other words, it is the same plan that BSA has for its campgrounds.  

I think this may be the way a lot of camps are headed.  Sale to a third party that leases back to BSA and other groups.  Highest and best use from a real estate for some of the remote properties probably is as a camp.

So how many people think this will be the last summer for most BSA summer camps? I feel the lawsuits will reach LC's by 2022 and will be the end for most camps.

I do not see an agreement ever passing to protect LC's from liability.

Councils should go all out to have great camps this summer as it may be the last.