Why can't there be coed Scouts, BSA units? Answer from lastest Scouts, BSA Office Hour - because 50% of boys will leave

21 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

If you measure by numbers nationally then maybe it could be not successful.

2% of all youth registered. Pretty much a failure as a movement goes. This is NOT something that should be used as a model of co-ed success.  I hope national only spends 2% of its resources on it (or less since many youth & adults are dual enrolled and thus not paying extra for it). 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The message I am getting here is that we want girls for their membership numbers and money but not because they add anything to the program or because we really want to serve them. It's jaw dropping t

I haven't read the full thread (work conference call in a few minutes) but an observation from here in the UK. I run a coed troop and a few years ago we had a joint meeting with the Girl Guide tr

We deserve everything coming our way. Unbelievable. 

16 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

2% of all youth registered. Pretty much a failure as a movement goes. This is NOT something that should be used as a model of co-ed success.  I hope national only spends 2% of its resources on it (or less since many youth & adults are dual enrolled and thus not paying extra for it). 

Given from what I have seen, they don't even spend 1% of resources on it.

9 hours ago, David CO said:

That's not my sword.

Silly...can't even have a mock sword (light saber) fight with pool noodles??  I see this in the pool at Summer Camp every year...

G2A Prohibited Activities:

14.  Activities where participants strike at each other, including martial arts, boxing, combat games, gladiator games, and reenactment activities such as live action role-playing games (LARP) and Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) activities (exception: tai chi)

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss07/#b

1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Silly...can't even have a mock sword (light saber) fight with pool noodles??  I see this in the pool at Summer Camp every year...

G2A Prohibited Activities:

14.  Activities where participants strike at each other, including martial arts, boxing, combat games, gladiator games, and reenactment activities such as live action role-playing games (LARP) and Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) activities (exception: tai chi)

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss07/#b

I'm guessing the non-supervised stick fights we had as kids are a non-go.  Used to be fun.  You find a stick and smack it against someone else.  If yours breaks, you retire and find another.  on second thought, technically, you aren't striking other participants.  You are striking their stick.  Maybe we were following the guide even in the 80s.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

And thus expired the LARPing crew that one of my scouts thoroughly enjoyed ...  next time you ask where did all of the venturers go ... point to that.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I thought judo was allowed, too...when did they take that out??

2019. All martial arts Page 41-42

The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the following activities (with exceptions in italics):

13. Activities where participants strike at each other, including martial arts, boxing, combat games, gladiator games, and reenactment activities such as live action role-playing games (LARP) and Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) activities (exception: tai chi)

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416.pdf

"You can’t earn this badge any longer, but from 1911 to 1912, Scouts could earn the Master-at-Arms Badge by “attaining proficiency in two of the following subjects:”

• Single-Stick
  • Quarter-Staff
  • Fencing
  • Boxing
  • Ju-Jitsu
  • Gymnastics
  • Wrestling

According to MeritBadge.org, The Master-at-Arms badge was one of the original 14 “Badges of Merit” issued by the Boy Scouts of America in 1910 in the temporary “Original edition” of the BSA Handbook.

It was not included in the 1911 edition of the Boy Scout handbook."

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

"You can’t earn this badge any longer, but from 1911 to 1912, Scouts could earn the Master-at-Arms Badge by “attaining proficiency in two of the following subjects:”

• Single-Stick - CHECK ✔️
  • Quarter-Staff - CHECK ✔️
  • Fencing - CHECK ✔️
  • Boxing
  • Ju-Jitsu
  • Gymnastics
  • Wrestling

According to MeritBadge.org, The Master-at-Arms badge was one of the original 14 “Badges of Merit” issued by the Boy Scouts of America in 1910 in the temporary “Original edition” of the BSA Handbook.

I WANT THIS BADGE!  🤺 ⚔️

Edited by The Latin Scot
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

• Single-Stick
  • Quarter-Staff
  • Fencing
  • Boxing
  • Ju-Jitsu
  • Gymnastics
  • Wrestling

One of the original stated uses of the scout staff, was self defense.

I'm curious about the inclusion of Gymnastics in the list. Was there an understood martial aspect to gymnastics in 1910?

46 minutes ago, Rick_in_CA said:

One of the original stated uses of the scout staff, was self defense.

I'm curious about the inclusion of Gymnastics in the list. Was there an understood martial aspect to gymnastics in 1910?

West Point still has gymnastics as a core PE requirement for all cadets (although they call it "military movement") and they have the infamous Indoor Obstacle Course Test that is essentially a series of gymnastics events.  I have to assume the inclusion in the Master-at-Arms badge came from that same school of thought.

1 hour ago, BlueandSilverBear said:

West Point still has gymnastics as a core PE requirement for all cadets (although they call it "military movement") and they have the infamous Indoor Obstacle Course Test that is essentially a series of gymnastics events.  I have to assume the inclusion in the Master-at-Arms badge came from that same school of thought.

I just think you have to show the Scouts the move the Matrix and they'll be ready for all the martial arts the BSA could throw at them.  

2 hours ago, BlueandSilverBear said:

I have to assume the inclusion in the Master-at-Arms badge came from that same school of thought.

At one time, scouting was so popular they had to beat boys away with a stick.  Obviously, that badge is no longer needed.  

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

2019. All martial arts Page 41-42

The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the following activities (with exceptions in italics):

13. Activities where participants strike at each other, including martial arts, boxing, combat games, gladiator games, and reenactment activities such as live action role-playing games (LARP) and Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) activities (exception: tai chi)

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416.pdf

The prohibited activity in that paragraph is "strike at each other" and nothing more.  I'd take that to mean martial arts, boxing, etc. are all fine as long as the scouts are striking at training dummies, heavy bags, pig carcasses, etc.  It works for this Girl Scout troop in Iowa.

Edited by walk in the woods
cleaned up link language
  • Upvote 2