Why can't there be coed Scouts, BSA units? Answer from lastest Scouts, BSA Office Hour - because 50% of boys will leave

6 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

I agree; the idea of fully co-ed Scouting is, in my eyes and in my opinion, the worst possible thing that could happen to the BSA

Except for kilts.  Uniform kilts would be an even worst idea.   :rolleyes:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The message I am getting here is that we want girls for their membership numbers and money but not because they add anything to the program or because we really want to serve them. It's jaw dropping t

I haven't read the full thread (work conference call in a few minutes) but an observation from here in the UK. I run a coed troop and a few years ago we had a joint meeting with the Girl Guide tr

We deserve everything coming our way. Unbelievable. 

8 minutes ago, David CO said:

Don't know. The Scottish troop I worked within the UK looked distinguished in their kilts, lovet hose, sporrans, and singh dubhs. I wouldn't mind wearing a Macleod of Lewis kilt.

• Upvote 2

A Scots troop on the way to a BSa  jamboree stopped by our service center to visit our museum.  One of them spotted the "fawn's foot" on the but of the axe on the stature of The ideal Scout.  Do you see what he noticed?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kkn7Jhr.png[/img]

Picture does not seem to show.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kkn7Jhr.png[/img]

Here is a "fawn's foot" butt on an axe:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/057f1E0.png[/img]

The sculpter was told that the axe should have a "fawn's foot" butt.  He did not break the code.

Of course, having the ability to post pictures would help.

21 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

I agree; the idea of fully co-ed Scouting is, in my eyes and in my opinion, the worst possible thing that could happen to the BSA; it flies utterly in the face of what Scouting for boys is supposed to be, to do, and to accomplish, and all the good it is intended to do for boys will be lost when they are forced to share this program with girls. If they can no longer even have their own, separate troops without girls being part of them, the program loses the very sense of ownership that empowers, emboldens, and encourages boys to try new things, stretch themselves, and push their limits without the crushing self-awareness that, as anybody who has ever been human can attest, affects young boys when girls are present. 

The day the BSA decides to fully integrate a co-ed model into Scouting must, so help me, be the day I finally hang up my hat. There are some principles with which we can bend, but others, against which we must stand. Robbing our youth of their separate-gender privileges is one of the latter in my eyes.

Well I suggest you don't look into Venturing or Sea Scouting.  They are co-ed and are very successful.

Venturing started out well here in NE Ohio and then, over the years, mostly disappeared.  The five closest crews, with which I helped as asked, all closed as of two years ago.  But, then, between finances and management, this has been a weak area.  All the five defunct crews mentioned are shown as active today oblue n the Council website, but the closest has not met in six years.  Nothing has been posted on their website since 2011.

Edited by RememberSchiff
edits in blue requested by poster
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, TAHAWK said:

Venturing started out well here in NE Ohio and then, over the years, mostly disappeared.  The five closest crews, with which I helped as asked, all closed as of two years ago.  But, then, between finances and management, this has been a weak area.  All the five defunct crews mentioned are shown as active today oblue n the Council website, but the closest has not met in six years.  Nothing has been posted on their website since 2011.

That sucks.  Here in central Texas our Venturing crews seem to be still going strong.

1 hour ago, mashmaster said:

Well I suggest you don't look into Venturing or Sea Scouting.  They are co-ed and are very successful.

That depends entirely on what you consider "success" to entail. Needless to say, I am extremely familiar with both programs, and I am not as impressed with them as you seem to be. I hope that doesn't come off too strongly, but it seems we measure success in different ways.

23 hours ago, David CO said:

HEY WAIT A MINUTE NOW

23 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Don't know. The Scottish troop I worked within the UK looked distinguished in their kilts, lovet hose, sporrans, and singh dubhs. I wouldn't mind wearing a Macleod of Lewis kilt.

MacLeod? MACLEOD?!?!? Augh, mine eyes!!! ARE YOU CRAZY MAN?!?!?

If, glory be, we ever did end up in kilts, (you know, post-Scouting apocalypse) I would think we would choose any tartan BUT MacLeod. We'd blind half the creatures in the woods, we would, in those blazing kilts! 

Personally, my own clan, Clan Ross, has a beautiful ancient hunting tartan that would go great with the Scout colors. Not that it would ever, ever happen, mind you, LOL. 😄

5 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

MacLeod? MACLEOD?!?!? Augh, mine eyes!!! ARE YOU CRAZY MAN?!?!?

If, glory be, we ever did end up in kilts, (you know, post-Scouting apocalypse) I would think we would choose any tartan BUT MacLeod. We'd blind half the creatures in the woods, we would, in those blazing kilts! 

Personally, my own clan, Clan Ross, has a beautiful ancient hunting tartan that would go great with the Scout colors. Not that it would ever, ever happen, mind you, LOL. 😄

You know, Clan Macleod and Clan Ross have never fought against each other. That can change you know. ;)

2 hours ago, mashmaster said:

Even before COVID, the numbers would say by at least that measurement, Venturing and Sea Scouting are not successful. This is from a national viability perspective. I bet there are many (hundreds) very successful crews and ships, so from the "on the ground" perspective it is great. 

10 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

You know, Clan Macleod and Clan Ross have never fought against each other. That can change you know. ;)

I am Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel.  And I am immortal.  😮

https://clanmacleod.org/

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, mashmaster said:

Completely different active age group for the most part.  The vast majority of active Scouts are aged 10 - 14, with an even more drastic drop off at 16.  Sea Scouts and Venturing doesn't even start till 14.  It's exactly that 10-14 age group that tends to get the most "weird" around girls.  By 15 or 16 they start to figure out how to "chill out" around girls.

13 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I am Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel.  And I am immortal.  😮

https://clanmacleod.org/

But can you pull a sword out from down-under at the drop of a hat?

13 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

Even before COVID, the numbers would say by at least that measurement, Venturing and Sea Scouting are not successful. This is from a national viability perspective. I bet there are many (hundreds) very successful crews and ships, so from the "on the ground" perspective it is great. 

If you measure by numbers nationally then maybe it could be not successful.  If I look at the many ships I work with in our region, it is a huge success.  Latin, I would be more than happy to discuss what you think is not successful with them but from our prior disagreement about our views on scouting, we will never agree.  I have worked closely with scouts in our district, region, and national, they have impressed me greatly.  I call that success.