Introduced to target shooting at age 12 and now top marksman at age 16

On January 24, Nathaniel Ware, an honor roll student at Narragansett Regional, placed third in the 2021 Massachusetts Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) 3 Position (standing, kneeling and prone) Air Rifle (3PAR) State Championships. On Feb. 13, Ware again placed third, this time in the 2021 Massachusetts State Junior Olympic 3PAR Championships.

aed48fe1-8550-4c4f-a1d3-853d345228a9-Nat

Not too shabby for a young man who was introduced to the sport as a 12-year-old by the Boy Scouts of America.

“I’ve loved shooting from the first time I tried it back in the Boy Scouts; it’s a lot of fun,” Ware said. “So, since it’s fun and I’m good at it, I decided to stick with it. Ever since I first picked up a rifle, I’ve been getting very high scores, even though I had never shot before.”

Much more at source:

https://www.thegardnernews.com/story/sports/2021/03/02/templeton-resident-nathaniel-ware-making-his-mark-sport-competitive-air-rifle-shooting/6876741002/

Unfortunately The Boy Scouts of America has Scoutmasters who now tell their Scouts that they're 'not allowed' to go to shooting ranges.  One of our local Troops has an annual visit to a shooting range.  Another Troop does an annual  2nd Amendment trip for their 14 and older Scouts.  When my Scout suggested it to his PLC and one of the liberal ASMs, he was told that he didn't think they were allowed to go to gun ranges.  Uninformed or imposing his views on the Scouts?  What about the rifle and shotgun shooting merit badges that we offer?

Another Scout was a member of his school's riflery team.  When he talked about going to a range with a family member, one of the adult leaders took it upon himself to write to our COR about it, saying he was disturbed by it and that there's 'no place for gun discussions in Scouts'.   I wish I could say I was joking here but sadly I am not...

• Sad 2
19 hours ago, FaithfulScouter said:

Unfortunately The Boy Scouts of America has Scoutmasters who now tell their Scouts that they're 'not allowed' to go to shooting ranges.  One of our local Troops has an annual visit to a shooting range.  Another Troop does an annual  2nd Amendment trip for their 14 and older Scouts.  When my Scout suggested it to his PLC and one of the liberal ASMs, he was told that he didn't think they were allowed to go to gun ranges.  Uninformed or imposing his views on the Scouts?  What about the rifle and shotgun shooting merit badges that we offer?

Another Scout was a member of his school's riflery team.  When he talked about going to a range with a family member, one of the adult leaders took it upon himself to write to our COR about it, saying he was disturbed by it and that there's 'no place for gun discussions in Scouts'.   I wish I could say I was joking here but sadly I am not...

Sad...

We were, in the past few years, "shopping" for a new CO (another story).  Our local fish and game allowed us to meet there for a time.  They loved having our Scouts participate in their rifle and archery events.  But, a minority of parents would not let their Scouts participate, nor would let their Scouts attend any events (including meetings) on the property while the ranges were open.  I was not a leader at the time.  The Committee, at the time, had a discussion with those parents.  It came to the point where our unit had to find another meeting location or lose them.  We moved.

Later, when I became a leader, I asked some of the parents what was the issue?  At least five different families voiced a fear of guns and gun owners.  They were afraid their kid was going to get shot while attending there.  You cannot counter emotional responses with logic and facts, so I didn't bother.  The move had already been done.

The Scouts absolutely loved it while we were at that venue.

SMH

• Thanks 1

It’s one thing to take a principled stance and not let your kids do an activity that concerns your family. It’s another thing to try to deny other families those opportunities.

• Upvote 2
On 3/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, InquisitiveScouter said:

But, a minority of parents would not let their Scouts participate, nor would let their Scouts attend any events (including meetings) on the property while the ranges were open.

Just curious if those same parents refused to let their scouts participate in summer camp because ranges were open?

• Like 1

Interesting question.  

Safety is of primary importance.  As a Cub Camp Archery Range Officer, I can tell you some stories, both good and not so.

As a Quaker Scout Chaplain, I have had to explain our testimony about war, violence and weapons more than once.  Our kids understand that.  Older stepson (never a Scout) (greatly influenced by his father and Gfather) joined the army and came back the  better for it. His philosophy was greatly formed both by his mom and my faith and his time in many places overseas.  Younger son (Eagle Scout)  did very well at Archery, served as a Scout Range assistant.  He earned his Riflery and Shotgun Merit Badges, much to his mom's amazement, and learned how destructive such weapons can be.  

I feel the need to LEARN the need for safe use of firearms (there is no such thing as a totally safe firearm) is very important.

I respect the family's desire to keep their child safe. The example is necessary.  Sandy Hook, Columbine and the Pennsylvania Amish school examples need to be remembered. 

I could go on, but I have to leave for work now.  Stay warm and dry , everyone. 

• Like 1
On 3/12/2021 at 3:54 PM, walk in the woods said:

Just curious if those same parents refused to let their scouts participate in summer camp because ranges were open?

Yes, they did...and some of their Scouts took rifle and shotgun shooting and archery.  Again...

On 3/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, InquisitiveScouter said:

You cannot counter emotional responses with logic and facts, so I didn't bother.