National releases membership numbers. All programs down 40-48%

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are also regional breakdowns http://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/commissioner/newsletter/2021_winter/KPI_NatlRegion.pdf

I can tell you, having been either DL or ADL for both of my boys from tiger to AOL, (They are two years apart in age) that the cub program is way to long & repetitive. IMO.  I'm just an amateur sc

As a Skipper for a ship that is connected with the people at national that run this because we are basically already running on our own.   There isn't inventory for Sea Scouts, the amount that BSA pay

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

I wonder if it is "first year" or is it they don't "re-up" at the turn of the year. For cubs that cross over in March, it is "free" to continue with very little effort. The big question is who *really* signs up for Scouts when they have to choose.

The "re-up" as you call it, wasn't a significant number until after around 2000 when National added to the Webelos requirements of visiting a SM and filling out the application form before crossover. Yes, there were a few even before that, but not the significant number compared to scouts who do attend their first meetings and drop out within a year. Scouts who start going to meetings and drop out in the first year is easy to track. The problem is that the solution isn't easy.

Barry

4 minutes ago, GrubKnot said:

I can tell you, having been either DL or ADL for both of my boys from tiger to AOL, (They are two years apart in age) that the cub program is way to long & repetitive. IMO.  I'm just an amateur scouter but if I could change it i would say:

Drop lion & tiger ranks

Keep the Bobcat requirement

Have Wolf, Bear & Webelo ranks

This is the list I sent to National back in 2000. Especially drop Lions and Tigers. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, GrubKnot said:

I can tell you, having been either DL or ADL for both of my boys from tiger to AOL, (They are two years apart in age) that the cub program is way to long & repetitive. IMO.  I'm just an amateur scouter but if I could change it i would say:

Drop lion & tiger ranks

Keep the Bobcat requirement

Have Wolf, Bear & Webelo ranks

Make AOL a specialaward for over/super achiever

Introduce ALOT more patrol method in the Webelo rank

This is the program I was in 1975-1978.

• Upvote 1

Most 2020 crossovers never attended summer camp to 'seal the deal' on membership.  And those who crossed over with their Webelos den (as mrjohns2 rightly pointed out) may not have been interested in rejoining because they didn't do much due to COVID.    

Our Unit Leaders fail to reach out to the kids when they stop attending meetings & events (even prior to COVID).  I always asked the Scoutmasters around re-charter about members and they didn't know or care.  I would reach out to the parents but the Scout's relationship is with the Scoutmasters and they should  pick up a phone and find out what is going on with the Scout.  I know of one Scout who received a certificate for many years of perfect attendance with meetings and outings.  He suddenly stopped attending and not one person from the Troop reached out to find out why.  What does that say about us as an organization?  

29 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

The big question is who *really* signs up for Scouts when they have to choose.

I don't think this is a good question. Webelos are told over and over that Boy Scouts is more fun because they get to make all the decisions. So, yes, they are excited to join.  The problem occurs when they find that not only do the scouts tell each other what to do in the patrols, they are also responsible for their safety in the cold dark scary woods. "It's going to be OK" is not a sufficient answer to their real fear. There are ways to help this problem, but this isn't the right thread for that discussion.

Barry

5 minutes ago, FaithfulScouter said:

Our Unit Leaders fail to reach out to the kids when they stop attending meetings & events (even prior to COVID).  I always asked the Scoutmasters around re-charter about members and they didn't know or care.  I would reach out to the parents but the Scout's relationship is with the Scoutmasters and they should  pick up a phone and find out what is going on with the Scout.  I know of one Scout who received a certificate for many years of perfect attendance with meetings and outings.  He suddenly stopped attending and not one person from the Troop reached out to find out why.  What does that say about us as an organization?  

Are you suggesting the organization prevented YOU from calling the scout? Shesh. Let's keep the discussion balanced, shall we.

Eagledad - I'm a Committee member who does not interact with the Scouts on a regular basis.  When the re-charter is done you check a box saying that each non renewing member has been contacted.  I will gladly reach out to a parent but don't you think the Scoutmasters have a responsibility or duty to call the Scouts to find out what is going on?  

Edited by FaithfulScouter
Typo
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, KublaiKen said:

Right. He said drop Lions and Tigers. I was a Wolf in 3rd grade, Bear in 4th, Webelos in 5th. AOL was above and beyond and earned while a Webelos.

Yes, but adding the Tigers program tipped the balance of managing the program. So, it is significant.

Barry

7 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Yes, but adding the Tigers program tipped the balance of managing the program. So, it is significant.

Barry

Sorry, I'm confused. I just meant that the program he proposed was the program as it existed when I was a Cub Scout during those years: no Lions, no Tigers, three years, AOL was extra.

13 minutes ago, FaithfulScouter said:

Eagledad - I'm a Committee member who does not interact with the Scouts on a regular basis.  When the re-charter is done you check a box saying that each non renewing member has been contacted.  I will gladly reach out to a parent but don't you think the Scoutmasters have a responsibility or duty to call the Scouts to find out what is going on?  

I don't think it is a organization problem as you put it. I think it is good advice for units.

I wonder if your SM already knew why the scout left without adding an exit meeting. I generally knew why most of our scouts dropped out before they left because of my discussions with them and their parents. More often than not, it was the parents.

I  have often suggested on this forum that parents should get a meeting with the BOR committee when their son has one so that the committee can get to sides to the story. Scouts generally don't like to tell adults something the think adults don't want to hear. But, the parents are usually more giving with the information if they think it will make a difference.  But, that is adding another bureaucratic layer to an already busy advancement process.

As to this specific discussion, in general the parents were supportive of their son dropping out for the various reasons. Our fix was to work with the parents along side the scouts. But, that , as I said, is a different topic.

4 minutes ago, KublaiKen said:

Sorry, I'm confused. I just meant that the program he proposed was the program as it existed when I was a Cub Scout during those years: no Lions, no Tigers, three years, AOL was extra.

Ah, my apologies, I misunderstood (very embarrassed). Yes, you are correct. That was the program before National started dumping more on the program.

Barry

• Upvote 1

Sorry to veer off topic. Just making a suggestion for possibly improving the Cub Scout program & possibly keep scouts engaged.  I keep reading the previous post "tipped the balance of managing the program". Enlighten me.