National releases membership numbers. All programs down 40-48%

37 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Here's the sad, sad part is that National cannot even keep its lies (no other way to put it) straight.

Last May, then the $66 increase was announced, several councils ALSO let the cat out of the bag that in fact BSA National was planning to hike fees in 2021 and 2022.

Middle Tennessee Council, for example.

BSA National went nuts, demanding Councils remove that, and denied that any such increase was approved. They claimed only that it was being "discussed".

I will put money on the table that the 2021 and 2022 increases will take place.

I remember this same discussion about increasing fees through 2022. It was discussed in several places. Was not aware BSA tried to hide it. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are also regional breakdowns http://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/commissioner/newsletter/2021_winter/KPI_NatlRegion.pdf

I can tell you, having been either DL or ADL for both of my boys from tiger to AOL, (They are two years apart in age) that the cub program is way to long & repetitive. IMO.  I'm just an amateur sc

As a Skipper for a ship that is connected with the people at national that run this because we are basically already running on our own.   There isn't inventory for Sea Scouts, the amount that BSA pay

Posted Images

Hello new Lion Scout. Here are your fees..

$25 - New Scout

$25 - current year registration 

$75 - Next year registration 

$25 - Council fee

$50 - Pack fee

$13 - Shirt

$10 - Lion kit

$223 ... you can make the check out to....

1 minute ago, Eagle1993 said:

Hello new Lion Scout. Here are your fees..

$25 - New Scout

$25 - current year registration 

$75 - Next year registration 

$25 - Council fee

$50 - Pack fee

$13 - Shirt

$10 - Lion kit

$223 ... you can make the check out to....

Forgot Scout’s Life. $235

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, yknot said:

I remember this same discussion about increasing fees through 2022. It was discussed in several places. Was not aware BSA tried to hide it. 

I was told, point blank, that the 2021 and 2022 increases were merely "discussed" and not "approved" by the National Board.

Of course, several councils posted the truth in 2020: the fee increases are coming in 2021 and 2022.

7 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

I was told, point blank, that the 2021 and 2022 increases were merely "discussed" and not "approved" by the National Board.

Of course, several councils posted the truth in 2020: the fee increases are coming in 2021 and 2022.

The 2020 fees are too high. Way too high for Cub Scouts.  

12 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

The 2020 fees are too high. Way too high for Cub Scouts.  

This is the membership death spiral I see in associations.

1) The number of members decline.

2) Boards hike fees to keep income flowing.

3) Now members leave because of the cost.

4) Cuts are made, some substantial, most superficial.

5) Now people leave because they have higher fees (2) and less services (4).

Rinse and repeat.

Can you pull out? Sure, if you are willing to offer reduced rate benefits. One organization I belong to, for example, targetted the heck out of Early Career Professionals. Literally wined and dined (special reception at annual conference). It worked: those ECPs got hooked, stuck around, and brought friends.

BUT the only reason the organization was able to do that was because they were able to take 2-3 years worth of losses. They had enough money in the bank, plus some timely donations, to make it through the bad times.

BSA's....not in a position to do that right now.