Lion/Tigers Field Trips - What have you liked? (Or hated)

Cub Scout visits/field trips....

Check with the parents.  Where do they work?  The mention of "Cub Scouts"  opens many doors.  When I worked for the local bus transit service, the maintenance garage manager welcomed us easily. He said it was a "good excuse to make everybody clean up and put stuff away." 

Local Racing Pigeon Club invited us to visit one of their race releases.  THAT was exciting, they talked about bird and care and then a hundred plus birds were released.

Trail hikes above mentioned.   Work up a scavenger hunt the parents can also get in on.  ABSOLUTELY introduce Poison Ivy to everyone..   

And remember the Cub Scout Mantra  KiS MiF, KiS MiF,,,, Keep it simple, Make it fun.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

All online...

You will need to do Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat.  On my.scouting Training, they are under "Expanded Learning" "Program Safety"  While you are there, recommend you go ahead and complete Hazardous Weather training.

Then, please read and comply with applicable sections of Guide to Safe Scouting "Aquatics Safety" section.

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss02/

Three biggest gotchas:  1.  Anyone not classified as a Swimmer must be in a boat with an adult classified as Swimmer.  2.  Cub Scouts may not do boating on moving water.  3. Participants must wear a life jacket for all afloat activities, including tubing.

Have a blast!!

7 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

If you want to increase your knowledge and skills, check in at your local Scout camp this summer and complete two courses:

Aquatics Supervision:  Swimming and Water Rescue - a day or two

Aquatics Supervision: Paddle Craft Safety  - a day or two

Next level is BSA Lifeguard... takes a week at a Summer Camp, if offered

Next level is go to National Camp School, Aquatics Director program.  Week long intensive course...  Lifeguard cert required before starting...

Got it. Thank you! That link answered all my questions. I'll be ready!

3 hours ago, SSScout said:

Cub Scout visits/field trips....

Check with the parents.  Where do they work?  The mention of "Cub Scouts"  opens many doors.  When I worked for the local bus transit service, the maintenance garage manager welcomed us easily. He said it was a "good excuse to make everybody clean up and put stuff away." 

Local Racing Pigeon Club invited us to visit one of their race releases.  THAT was exciting, they talked about bird and care and then a hundred plus birds were released.

Trail hikes above mentioned.   Work up a scavenger hunt the parents can also get in on.  ABSOLUTELY introduce Poison Ivy to everyone..   

And remember the Cub Scout Mantra  KiS MiF, KiS MiF,,,, Keep it simple, Make it fun.

That's not something I would have ever dreamed existed! How very cool! I'm trying for one den meeting, pack performance, and one activity per month--whether that activity is den or pack. Several months have two pack activities already. Does that sound like the right balance?

18 minutes ago, Momleader said:

Our Tigers went to the cable company’s public access station one night - they loved it. Maybe a college nearby has one they can give a tour of. Also planetariums are really cool. 

Very cool! I'll look into it!

Oh yeah, they once visited the editor of the local paper. She took their picture, then they helped her write a caption, and fit it on the page for the next edition.

10 hours ago, qwazse said:

Oh yeah, they once visited the editor of the local paper. She took their picture, then they helped her write a caption, and fit it on the page for the next edition.

That would be especially great for recruitment time!

Would that be May or August?

1 hour ago, GiraffeCamp said:

That would be especially great for recruitment time!

Would that be May or August?

The "official" Cub Scout program cycle begins in June.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/CubScoutMeetingGuide/PDF/Appendix/511-807.pdf

However, most Cub Packs "take a break" over the Summer.  IMHO, this is horrible ;) Scouting is, and should be year round.  This is also why, I believe, BSA created the Summertime Pack Awards, to encourage Packs to be active through the summer.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33748.pdf

I think you should begin recruiting in April and May...saying "Hey, we have a great summer program for you and your Scout-aged youth."  So, they start in June...there is no pressure from school activities, and you can get them into some kind of Summer Day Camp program.

But, most Packs try to recruit in August and September, right at the beginning or the school year, and then they wind up competing with all kinds of other school preparations (parents feel like they are running crazy) and programs.

BTW, many Scout Troops "take a break" in summer, too, and focus only on a summer camp program.  This is hogwash.  Not everyone vacations at the same time, so I have never bought the "we won't get any participation" argument.  Our summer events are the most attended, and we have the most daylight to work with for all kinds of great program.

Happy Hunting!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

BTW, many Scout Troops "take a break" in summer, too, and focus only on a summer camp program.  This is hogwash.  Not everyone vacations at the same time, so I have never bought the "we won't get any participation" argument.  Our summer events are the most attended, and we have the most daylight to work with for all kinds of great program.

We discussed this a lot in another post and demographics vary widely unit to  unit. A lot of our families have vacation homes or do extended and multiple vacations and clear out for the summer. We also have a lot of kids in private schools and the end and start of school is all over the map. Let's not beat people up for not doing things "our" way. What works for you is great. May not work for someone else.  We do offer summer pack events and we always send a small contingent to cub and troop summer camps but you can't run meetings. I will also say the volunteers sometimes really want a break. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

We have the same, and yet, our summer events are still the most attended...

That is great for you. That must be something  your population really wants and  you are doing well at meeting that need. Our summer events are always barely attended. Taking a break over the summer works for us.  We do a couple limited things but don't go full bore.

• Like 1

One I liked ... Tigers and Lions showing up at the elementary (after clearing with principal) and pulling weeds from bushes by the front door (for 15 to 30 min ... scouts 10 min ... dads 20 min or so) ... then playing catch with frisbee or foot ball ... and just so happens (by pre-planning) an ice-cream truck shows up at a specific time.  Yes, you can usually find one that will show up on a schedule if you call them in advance.  

• Thanks 1