Remembering Steve Fosset

Born in Jackson, Tennessee, in 1944 and raised in Garden Grove, California, Fosset’s fascination with the outdoors and adventures began in the Boy Scouts when he was 12-years-old. Realizing that he did not have a natural ability for athletics or team sports, Fossett focused on activities that required persistence and endurance.

https://simpleflying.com/steve-fossett-around-the-world/

The article does not mention that Steve was an Eagle, only a Scout.  Minor issue, but sort of important I guess.  Interestingly, we have one of Steve's HS classmates and Eagle Scout living in our District.  Dale Syness became an Eagle in 29 Palms, California but moved to Garden Grove at the end of his freshman year in HS.  He was my SPL in the troop in 29 Palms that I joined when I moved there in 1958, and we were freshmen together.  He was the prod that pushed me to not drop out after the move and disorientation of  going to the desert from the San Gabriel Valley.  I wa Life, so his nudge was what I needed, and I guess he did a good job, as I am typing on this Forum.  Dale is now semi-retired, teaching a bit in the JC and still working PT at the Navy Base.  He is also a member of my troop committee, having had his stepson in the troop for a while.  

The scouting family is huge, yet surprisingly compact at times.

At age 13, Fossett earned the Boy Scouts' highest rank of Eagle Scout. He was a Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow, the Boy Scouts' honor society, where he served as lodge chief. He also worked as a Ranger at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico during the summer of 1961.