Scouts, BSA calling Cub Scouts about joining the Troop?

So I was at roundtable this week and we were talking AoL crossovers. One SM indicated to the Pack folks "Your scouts should be expecting calls from my scouts." Apparently that troop held a Webelos/AoL event last fall, got contact information from the parents, and the SM is now directing his Scouts, BSA scouts to start calling the Cub Scouts.

Not scouts they personally know, just cold calling.

This just does not sound right to me at all. I am all for scout-led, but this seems...odd?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Edited by CynicalScouter

I have not heard of that in the context of their there not being a previous relationship (e.g., first year Scouts calling AOLs from their previous Pack). But I don't see anything very weird about it, though I readily admit I could be viewing it differently or wrongly. Can you articulate your thoughts on why you feel that way? It might help me see what I'm missing. Thanks!

Edited by KublaiKen
Gah! And I'm a professional writer!

IMHO, If it is the scouts calling, I think it is a good thing.  The Webelos scouts especially in this current disconnected time, might think it is pretty cool that an older scout is calling them and interested in them joining their troop.  Whenever possible, I encourage commination to new or prospective youth for our Ship to be contacted by one of our scouts.  

• Upvote 1

Ok, thanks. I've just never thought or heard of this. I know that in normal times, the Scouts, BSA would interact with the Cub Scouts at events and such in person and then the Committee Chair or Scoutmaster would call or email the parents as a follow up.

Just threw me a touch. Ok.

Edited by CynicalScouter