Be The Change, Inaugural Class of Female Eagle Scouts, Feb 21, 8pm ET

"IRVING, Texas, Feb. 18, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Nearly 1,000 young women from across the country are taking their place in history as the first female Eagle Scouts after collectively earning more than 30,000 merit badges and providing an estimated 130,000 hours of community service - even amid a pandemic.

The Boy Scouts of America will honor this inaugural class of female Eagle Scouts during a virtual event on February 21st titled 'Be the Change'—a celebration of these young women and their achievements, and a call to action for all young people to continue working to make a positive impact on their communities and the nation. ..."

More at source links

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nearly-1-000-young-women-soar-into-history-as-the-first-female-eagle-scouts-301231120.html

https://www.scouting.org/bethechange/

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1) We honor Rosa Parks for refusing to give up her seat on that bus. Too much "fanfare" about her. Too much "Grandstanding". White people had been sitting on buses for years! 2) We honor Susan B.

I respectfully disagree with this. 1. There has been plenty of fanfare about boys reaching Eagle in the past 110 years. That is what has made it one of the single-most recognizable and lauded you

Thank you for your opinion.  Everyone has one.  The fanfare and grandstanding is the fault of the BSA. Over the top.  The bragging is the fault of the girls or their parents doing so. 

Well done.  It was good to see some prominent older adults congratulating them.  Now that the "initial class" is recognized, hopefully we can settle into a bit more normal formats, recognizing them as they come, male or female.  Personally I still hope that we can reach the position of not segregating them within units, but just have troops of youth intereted in Scouting.  It has worked in Cubs, so I do not see a true reason to not have similar patrol based units of coed youth.  As long as YP is followed there really should be little reason to not do it, and it would allow even more young women the opportunity when there are no female units available.  It also could help rejuvenate the smaller units that struggle to stay alive in some communities.  While understanding the concerns about the maturity levels at the prime Scout ages, my observations have been in teaching that the girls draw out the boys often by their presence and challenges.  Groups in classes, even if taken over by girls in some manner, saw more boy participation, and at times reserved ones coming forward.  

From my perspective, we do not give the boys enough credit for accepting the challenge in Scouting if confronted with girls stepping forward.  It certainly has been of little issue in the senior programs over the years, even when they first went coed.

Anyway, it is great to see this step forward to more cohesive youth growth, and joining the larger world Scouting family more completely.

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, skeptic said:

...  Personally I still hope that we can reach the position of not segregating them within units, but just have troops of youth intereted in Scouting.  It has worked in Cubs, so I do not see a true reason to not have similar patrol based units of coed youth.  ...

The simple reason is that sex segregation is preferred among American youth. Based on my discussions with young people, there is not a great demand for full integration. Most youth in my area are fine with sex segregation and find it somewhat refreshing. That begins to shift at age 14 ... thus the shift toward venturing.

Of course, it’s a big country, and demand for a fully integrated program may rise with time. But, that hasn’t happened in the largest scouting associations around the world.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, qwazse said:

Of course, it’s a big country, and demand for a fully integrated program may rise with time. But, that hasn’t happened in the largest scouting associations around the world.

I think the question will be a lifting on the prohibition on co-ed units. Right now a unit CANNOT be co-ed and there are specific rules against it. I would be inclined to think in 2-4 years that the restriction will be lifted, resulting in B, G, and B/G units.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

The simple reason is that sex segregation is preferred among American youth. Based on my discussions with young people, there is not a great demand for full integration. Most youth in my area are fine with sex segregation and find it somewhat refreshing. That begins to shift at age 14 ... thus the shift toward venturing.

I find that, in general, adults ignore what the youth want. Certainly the National doesn't listen to their members of any age. But, I think the biggest driver of integration will be the need for volunteers. Truth is that true patrol method troops require very few volunteers. But in this helicopter parenting culture, patrol method isn't being driven in the program. 

Barry

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, tnmule20 said:

Boys have been earning the Eagle rank for the past 110 years or so without all the fanfare. Hopefully things will get back to normal without all the grandstanding. 

I respectfully disagree with this.

1. There has been plenty of fanfare about boys reaching Eagle in the past 110 years. That is what has made it one of the single-most recognizable and lauded youth accomplishments, and one that has carried into adulthood for 110 years.

2. Because girls have not had that opportunity for over a century, this occasion is historic, noteworthy, and therefore newsworthy.

3. A struggling organization like the BSA, both in finances and in public perception, would be somewhere between naive and negligent not to take advantage of this as a PR blast.

4. This is an excellent opportunity for an organization being sued by the Girl Scouts to amplify its message and delineate the proprietary nature of what girls in Scouts BSA means.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2