I'm interested in opinions on the requirement. for the new EPA/BSA award.

The requirement reads:

During the 2021 calendar year, participate in an environmental/ public health community service project as part of an approved Scouting program totaling at least 6 hours.

My question is this... If a Scout participates in a vaccine clinical trial and spends at least 6 hours doing so, would/should this count?

I'm on the fence. They are absolutely doing good for the community, it absolutely is for public health. Its a little....unusual. And they are also compensated somewhat for their time.

As someone whose livelihood depended on child participants in research studies, I’d say yes if the scout talks to a group about his/her experience.

The goal here is to get scouts to try out some MBs and they might not have considered and come up with innovative ways of serving.

• Upvote 1

This is slightly off-topic, but when I looked over the requirements for this award, I was expecting to see Environmental Science or Sustainability listed, rather than Public Health.  Has public health always been under the purview of the EPA?

Edited by swilliams
punctuation
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, swilliams said:

This is slightly off-topic, but when I looked over the requirements for this award, I was expecting to see Environmental Science or Sustainability listed, rather than Public Health.  Has public health always been under the purview of the EPA?

More directly by the U.S. Public Health Service (Surgeon General) which is part of Health and Human Services.