Another 12 YO Eagle Scout

While I am pretty open to earning Eagle Scout early, I still struggle with the 12 year olds.  The good news is that it appears he plans to stick with scouts, vs a 12 year old who would earn Eagle and drop.  I don't believe I have met a scout, who at 12, would have the leadership I expect of an Eagle Scout ... but I guess some may be out there.

https://yubanet.com/regional/local-boy-becomes-one-of-the-youngest-to-earn-boy-scouts-eagle-scout-rank/

The Eagle Scout project seemed to be a bit on the smaller side (vs what I have seen/approved in my Troop).  I know the article says buying & installing benches, but hopefully there was a fair number of youth/adults to lead and some more aspects to the project.  It almost looks like the benches cost $3K each ... 

He installed two park benches along the Wolf Creek Trail in Grass Valley. In addition – with the help of generous, local donors – he fundraised $3000 to purchase and install a third bench.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The really smart or savvy scouts double-dip. Rank Fitness can be combined with Personal Fitness Merit Badge (with some minor modifications). Rank Swim can be combined with Swimming MB R

I don't think there is anything really wrong with what this kid did. He's obviously committed and he met all the requirements. My issue is that this kind of thing -- zipping through to Eagle and extre

Probably the best & only way to really consider this story.  I was 15yo when I went for my EBOR and faced a crotchety old scouter who thought you should be at least 16 and preferably 17 to earn Ea

That project would have been quickly rejected around here.  Digging 6 holes and leveling a bench as someone fills the hole back in would NOT provide sufficient opportunity to "Demonstrate Leadership".  Even if they dug the holes manually (which I doubt they did) that's only about 2-3 hours of work for 3 people.  I'm sure there was more time involved on the planning end, but still.

• Upvote 1

I try to not be judgmental.  I fail many times at that but I try. 

<Rant On>

Way too much focus on getting Eagle and collecting Merit Badges.  I wish that Scouts and Scouters would focus more on the Leadership, Service, and adventure part of the program.

My son's project is currently about 300 hours in and getting close to being finished.  

He actually used this line during his review with the committee about his project plan "I want to build a park, not just a park bench".  His words not mine.

I do recommend to my scouts that they choose a project that they will be proud of when they are a parent of a scout.  

Anyway, I am working on trying to be more accepting.  I am a work in progress.

<Rant Off>

• Upvote 1

I don't think there is anything really wrong with what this kid did. He's obviously committed and he met all the requirements. My issue is that this kind of thing -- zipping through to Eagle and extreme badge-ism -- is routinely held up as the ideal when it's not. 

• Upvote 3

Good for him to accomplish Eagle so early. On the other hand... 3k for benches? 

I agree with other comments, while above board, I don't know if it's the best experience for the Scout to zip through the advancement program so quickly. Hopefully this Scout stays involved so he can really benefit from all that being a Scout has to offer. 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, fred8033 said:

Each scout has their own path.   Celebrate his path included scouting.

Probably the best & only way to really consider this story.  I was 15yo when I went for my EBOR and faced a crotchety old scouter who thought you should be at least 16 and preferably 17 to earn Eagle.  He quizzed me on a number of knots & lashings until he relented.  I think I'm becoming that crotchety old scouter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, yknot said:

...  routinely held up as the ideal when it's not. 

:rolleyes:Instant access to every small town news item tough on kids. Little Johnny crosses over, Mom or Dad pulls up this article and tells him, "Unlike Adam, you're going to have 80 MBs by the end of next year!"

It leaves us scouters in a bind. We want to encourage our youth to go hard after their goals. But, we want parents to know that we don't measure "wins" on sashes. We work for smiles. And to that end, we want our scouts to develop unique gifts and talents. Sometimes that comes through a boatload of MBs, but sometimes it comes through digging in to one or two skills. Honestly, we esteem the 14 year old who finally earns 1st class as highly as the the 12 year old who earns eagle and 10 insta-palms.

I had this discussion in an outside-of-scouting (yes it happens) meeting. A friend wants to offer "basic training" on a monthly basis to as many as possible, while I am after "deep learning" for the few willing to commit once weekly over a number of years. So, we are asking ourselves: how we pull together to support both?

This is what happens because of the desired numbers for membership.  With the joining requirements at 11 OR finished the fifth grade, this will continue to happen.  With so many being home schooled they are completing fifth grade at earlier ages.  Had this situation several years ago when they first changed the requirements from AND to OR.  Then it was changed back to AND.  Now with the OR and a desire to increase members you will see younger Eagle.

53 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Are there still time limits "in rank"?  so many months in tenderfoot, etc. ?  

Not counting how you actually squeeze in all of the outings, campouts, tracking for personal mgt and fitness.  These are the time limits I am aware of.

30 Days - Tenderfoot Fitness

4 Weeks - 2nd Class Fitness

4 Weeks- 1st Class Fitness

4 Months - 1st to Star

6 Months - Star to Life

6 Months - Life to Eagle

• Upvote 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the time intervals for T-2-1 can all run concurrently, right?  (Meaning, you can be working on the First Class Fitness, while still a Tenderfood) Back in my day, you could not start work on a rank requirements until you had been awarded the previous rank.  The "First Class First Year" push changed all that...not in a good way, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the time intervals for T-2-1 can all run concurrently, right?  (Meaning, you can be working on the First Class Fitness, while still a Tenderfood) Back in my day, you could not start work on a rank requirements until you had been awarded the previous rank.  The "First Class First Year" push changed all that...not in a good way, in my opinion.

Right. Simultaneous.

That's why if you perfectly time everything out you can make First Class in the First Year and Eagle in either 19 or 20 months (as occurred with the inaugural female Eagle Scouts).

2 hours ago, scoutldr said:

Correct, except the fitness requirements are in series.  So, you cannot count the same 30 days/4 weeks of fitness for T - 2nd - 1st.  The fitness is really the primary reason you can't go from cross over to 1st class in 3 - 4 weeks. 

I actually think its fine to allow work on the ranks in parallel.  The vast majority of my scouts take 2 - 3 years to get to first class anyway (only scouts with a focus on rank can come close to the 12 - 18 months to 1st class).   If this was done in series, only the truly rank focused scouts would advance at all.  

• Upvote 2