Archdiocese of New Orleans tells all of its BSA units to cease scouting activities.

31 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

I mis-remembered. This particular one was Methodist Scouting Common Table for December 2020. They talked about the new council-chartered system.

You can find it if you google Methodist Common Service Table BSA restructuring. It's on youtube. 

On 2/4/2021 at 3:55 AM, yknot said:

This is what I think is going to be the problem. A lack of easily obtainable, affordable, liability insurance. Who in their right mind would insure scouting right now. 

This might not be quite as bad as you'd imagine.  Insurance companies are well experienced with drilling through emotional reactions and public sentiment and just dealing with the data.  So once the bankruptcy is through, if the only risk "BSA 2.0" or the COs would face is from future problems, they are likely to just look at the current YP processes and price based upon the actual ongoing risk rather than outright refusing to offer insurance out of fear.  The one real "X factor" will be concern over stupid legislators passing more stupid laws like the states that removed the time limits on filing claims.

• Upvote 1

Running on a cash basis....

Backin my paleo scout days, in our Troop, each Patrol had a Treasurer.  I was my Patrol's  for awhile. The Patrol Treasurer collected the Scout's dues, so much a month and passed that on to the Troop Treasurer (an adult).   For campouts and such, each Patrol planned their own menus and bought grub each. Money collected that morning. No money? embarrassing, but you went home. With that collection, Scouts went shopping, ONTHE WAY TO THE CAMP !   If you couldn't afford the steaks that Scout chef planned, too bad, the kids going thru the Safeway bought hamburg.   Going winter swim at the indoor pool (what a concept !) in the fancy downtown hotel?  Collect fees on the spot. No fee, no go.   Summer camp?   Usually beyond the Patrol Treasurer's pay scale (?) so the parents did that.  Things were much more direct and simple if all you had to spend was what you had in your pocket.

Maybe going back to a cash society might be a good thing.

Grrr...

Several units in our council are not renewing.  No inquiries from council on "How can we help to keep you going?"  But several Key 3's (that I know) did get emails from council saying "Please write us a check for any remaining unit funds and close your unit bank accounts."  With a mention that they would hold those funds in trust for a period of time (not specified) to be given back to the units if and when they rechartered.  (Anyone believe that??)  No mention of the fact that that money technically belongs to the CO when the unit does not renew.

Grrr...

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Grrr...

Several units in our council are not renewing.  No inquiries from council on "How can we help to keep you going?"  But several Key 3's (that I know) did get emails from council saying "Please write us a check for any remaining unit funds and close your unit bank accounts."  With a mention that they would hold those funds in trust for a period of time (not specified) to be given back to the units if and when they rechartered.  (Anyone believe that??)  No mention of the fact that that money technically belongs to the CO when the unit does not renew.

Grrr...

I haven't seen that yet, but the push on recharter is much less than prior years.  We are late, as always, but have seen almost no emails/calls/etc.  (We change our COR annually which causes all sorts of issues during charter.)

Technically the assets must be used for scouting (if raised for scouting).  See below.

Rules_Regulations_Sept20 (netdna-ssl.com)

Council or Unit Assets Upon Dissolution

Consistent with the Bylaws, in the event of the dissolution of a council or the revocation or lapse of its charter, the Executive Committee may, at its option, authorize the National Council to assume charge of the affairs of the council and continue operation pending reorganization or re-establishment of the council or wind up the business of the council. All funds and property in the possession or control of such council must be applied to the payment of the council’s obligations. Any surplus funds or property may thereafter be administered as deemed to be in the best interest of Scouting.

In the event of the dissolution of a unit or the revocation or lapse of its charter, unit funds and assets must be used to first satisfy any outstanding unit obligations. Any remaining assets obtained with funds raised in the name of Scouting must be redeployed for Scouting use in the local area. Any assets obtained with funds from the chartered organization or parents of registered members may be redeployed as agreed upon by the chartered organization and local council.

Any property or funds acquired by the National Council upon the dissolution of a Scouting unit or local council will be administered so as to make effective, asfar as possible, the intentions and wishes of the donors.

Edited by Eagle1993
typos
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

No mention of the fact that that money technically belongs to the CO when the unit does not renew.

That hasn't been true since at least 2007.

Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America (2007)

In the event of the dissolution of a unit or the revocation or lapse of its charter, the unit committee shall apply unit funds and property to the payment of unit obligations and shall turn over the surplus, if any, to the local council, if there is one, or if there is no local council, dispose of the same in accordance with the direction of the Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America. In the case of a chartered organization, any funds or equipment which may have been secured as property of the unit shall be held in trust by the chartering organization or the chartered local council, as may be agreed upon, pending reorganization of the unit or for the promotion of the program of the Boy Scouts of America.

And the 2020 version essentially repeat this. The CO doesn't get to keep the money.

Council or Unit Assets Upon Dissolution

In the event of the dissolution of a unit or the revocation or lapse of its charter, unit funds and assets must be used to first satisfy any outstanding unit obligations. Any remaining assets obtained with funds raised in the name of Scouting must be redeployed for Scouting use in the local area. Any assets obtained with funds from the chartered organization or parents of registered members may be redeployed as agreed upon by the chartered organization and local council.

Edited by CynicalScouter
7 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Disagree...CO has control of the monies...but agree must be held for Scouting.  So, if the CO wants to give it to another unit, that is up to them...

"redeployed as agreed upon by the chartered organization and local council."

It looks like the CO cannot just go off on their own and they need to get agreement with the council.   Are any CO's pushing back at simply writing checks to close out their accounts?  I wonder how these conversations go.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 10:57 AM, Eagle1993 said:

"redeployed as agreed upon by the chartered organization and local council."

It looks like the CO cannot just go off on their own and they need to get agreement with the council.   Are any CO's pushing back at simply writing checks to close out their accounts?  I wonder how these conversations go.

I was the CC of an LDS pack and a CM of the corresponding troop when their charters were allowed to expire.  There was no "unit" bank account to write a check from (expenses were always reimbursed as incurred from the ward budget, except camp, where scouts sometimes raised some money for it the same year). I took a picture of the troop trailer (two flat tires and a flat spare, needed a paint job, contents had also been used for the Young Women program) and sent it to the Scout Executive who sent us the red form, asking if we should do anything with it. He never gave us any instructions about that.

Then two other COs for units I was related to ended their charters. But in each case the unit leaders had a new CO identified already (the troop merging with anther troop, the pack switching to antother CO). In both cases the old CO allowed the unit to take its "stuff" and bank account, without any complaint that I heard about.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, DavidLeeLambert said:

Scout Executive who sent us the red form, asking if we should do anything with it. He never gave us any instructions about that.

You'd think the SE would have read the red form, wouldn't ya?

4 minutes ago, David CO said:

You'd think the SE would have read the red form, wouldn't ya?

LOL, my daughter's Crew did not recharter this year.  They sent the form to my wife to fill out. 

She asked me what to do.  I said, "Are you a current registered member of the BSA?" 

"No." 

"Here, let me open the garbage can for you."

• Haha 1