Why is it a Beaver?

3 hours ago, skeptic said:

Beavers are hard workers that expand the natural environment in positive ways in our watersheds.  They are also stocky and plump like most longer term Scouters.☺️

Might be time to change the name of the award.   Connotations have changed.   The award is still very honored, but it's followed with inappropriate jokes. 

The 20 Dec 1931 issue of the Houston Chronicle, describes the award ceremony of the first two men in Houston to receive the Silver Beaver Award.  The article contains this sentence:  "Each was presented with a silver beaver, emblematic of perseverance."  The article has a photo of the parchment certificate.

As an aside, my search also revealed that Ferris Bueller's father was a Silver Beaver recipient.  At the 1 hr, 8 minute mark of the movie, he claims that there is a framed Silver Beaver certificate in the hallway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, forrest747 said:

The 20 Dec 1931 issue of the Houston Chronicle, describes the award ceremony of the first two men in Houston to receive the Silver Beaver Award.  The article contains this sentence:  "Each was presented with a silver beaver, emblematic of perseverance."  The article has a photo of the parchment certificate.

As an aside, my search also revealed that Ferris Bueller's father was a Silver Beaver recipient.  At the 1 hr, 8 minute mark of the movie, he claims that there is a framed Silver Beaver certificate in the hallway.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2015/05/29/did-ferris-buellers-dad-earn-the-silver-beaver-award/

I have done a bit more Internet sleuthing.  Here are what a few sites say about the beaver symbol. Perseverance is a common theme, as is industry.

1) A description of an 1830s British wax seal of a beaver says that beavers are symbolic of abundance, industry & perseverance.

2) "The beaver builds dams and dikes in the river with branches and mud. It is aware that the river's current is endless, and that in many cases the result of its work will be affected by the movement of water, dragging away the materials with which the beaver built its creation. But that does not stop the beaver from building. The beaver is, therefore, in a continuous duel against the river, a river that never stops, so it's easy to understand the symbolism that relates this animal to perseverance."

3) "This charming fellow is known for its incredible building skills, family care and perseverance."

4) "The beaver denotes industry, perseverance and determination. It was officially adopted as Canada’s national symbol in an Act passed by the Canadian Parliament in 1975 and is often found in arms granted to families connected in some way to Canada."

5) "The beaver was also hailed as a Canadian symbol because it is known for its industry, skill and perseverance – all traits noteworthy of emulation. "

6) "... represents industry and perseverance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

By the way, did you know that a Silver Beaver is a real animal.  Back in 1982 I was traveling through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park late at night.  There was a line of cars.  While there was some fog late at night, the line had slowed.  As I proceeded, I saw what everyone had slowed to see.  A LARGE beaver ambling along the grass along the side of the road.  It appeared silver/white in color.  This was before regular cell phones and did not get a picture of it.  The next morning I asked a park ranger about it.  He said he had also seen it.  The coloring was due to its' age, similar to what you see in many dog's faces as they age.  

The beaver had to be old, well beyond the normal life span.

He was still working.  He was persevering.  A wonderful sight to see.