Do you use professional titles?

7 hours ago, ParkMan said:

However, I would welcome the BSA to show some leadership on questions like this.  Not a formal document - I certainly don't need a training on the use of professional titles.  But, I would welcome consistency in the BSA examples ...

This is often the case with so many issues that arise on this forum and it's why many of us are often here. So many of these issues could be resolved if BSA would clarify what it means. I understand that in many cases, legal liability is the reason for the vagueness or lack of a policy. But there are so many other issues where a a little more clarity or definitiveness would simplify things in the field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad was a retired Navy Chief.  I can hear him saying, "don't call me Sir...I work for a living." (or worse)  

I'm generally laid back, since I rarely hear my first name at work - I'm in the Army.  I'm a veterinarian, but don't really care if people call me Mr. or Dr.   My wife is a pharmacist and really hates

When I reference another adult to scouts, I try to use Mr./Mrs./Miss. I'm not perfect at this, but most of the time this is what I do. When speaking to adults, we're peers and I use first names a

2 hours ago, yknot said:

This is often the case with so many issues that arise on this forum and it's why many of us are often here. So many of these issues could be resolved if BSA would clarify what it means. I understand that in many cases, legal liability is the reason for the vagueness or lack of a policy. But there are so many other issues where a a little more clarity or definitiveness would simplify things in the field. 

IIRC, the BSA used to publish a book called The Language of Scouting that addressed titles.

The current online resources don't cover such things anymore.

https://www.scouting.org/resources/los/

I have a much older printed version around here somewhere...if I dig it up, I'll try to post an excerpt or two, if applicable.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I have a much older printed version around here somewhere...if I dig it up, I'll try to post an excerpt or two, if applicable.

I started thinking if I could find an authoritative source.  My effort was pitiful, but interesting.  I pulled up an old copy of the movie "Follow Me Boys".   The scouts called their scoutmaster Lem.  The adults were formal with each other (last name basis) until they knew each other as friends, close to an inversion of today's practices.  

On 1/24/2021 at 12:18 PM, yknot said:

Adult to adult --- First name 

Scout to adult -- Mr./Mrs./Ms. No professional honorifics

Adult giving instructions and referencing another adult -- Mr./Mrs./Ms.

I don't like it when kids address adults without a courtesy title, but that might be more a reflection of our demographics. Some of the kids around here could use reminders about basic manners and social courtesies, especially in formal communications. 

Agree, but there are a couple exceptions for us that come to mind.  One of our merit badge counselors is an Army Colonel, though retired.  I would not refer to him as Mr. _____, only Col. _____

The other is our Scoutmaster.  Once in a while I slip up and say Mr. T, but usually try to address him, when talking to scouts as Scoutmaster T.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:48 PM, fred8033 said:

I'm strongly a first name person, scout or adult.  It's about reducing barriers to communication.  I want the scouts relaxed and willing to discuss challenges.

I don't view this as teaching courtesy or manners.  I see that taught in a 1000% small lessons that we should be having throughout scouting. 

Set expectations to be consistent.  If you expect formal from the scouts, then also be formal to the scout.   Anything else sounds like a power trip.   

As a kid, I was always reluctant to address an adult by their first name.  It just seemed wrong, somehow.  So I found myself not addressing them at all, or finding awkward ways of getting their attention if I had to say something.

In our new community, there is a strong preference for calling adults Mr, Ms, or Mrs.  It felt weird to be addressed as Mrs. W at first, but it didn't take long to realize how normal it was for the kids to do so, and to see that it was easy for them.  It was nice to see how readily they approach you when there is a somewhat defined way of addressing adults.  As a coach, though, the commissioner for track and cross-country introduced us as Coach First-Name.  Then THAT seemed odd to me, lol.  It seems fine with the kids, though.  I've even had them call out to me in the grocery store.  So whatever is preferred, it seems like it's good for the kids if whatever it is, is consistent for all.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, swilliams said:

Agree, but there are a couple exceptions for us that come to mind.  One of our merit badge counselors is an Army Colonel, though retired.  I would not refer to him as Mr. _____, only Col. _____

The other is our Scoutmaster.  Once in a while I slip up and say Mr. T, but usually try to address him, when talking to scouts as Scoutmaster T.

Eh. When in scouts, I feel like the scout honorific has priority to build corps de sprit. I would never refer to someone as Dr. or Col. only Scoutmaster or ASM or Mr./Mrs. Some people here say they combine them together, such as Dr. ASM or Col. SM, but I think that is unwieldy. 

This conversation reminded me of an old staffer at my camp. He was a generation before me. His personal policy was he was Mr. Smith to those under 18 and Joe to those over. There was an exception, if you were an Eagle Scout under 18, he then said you could call him Joe.

Edited by mrjohns2