14 minutes ago, tnmule20 said:

The Troop is starting to plan for this trip. With all the uncertainty about the BSA's future, if we pay a reservation deposit and maybe even a few payments what happens if there is a liquidation before our trip. Is the money lost?

My troop was planning to do Sea Base 2022. We are skipping it under the assumption there will be no Sea Base by that point.

And our Philmont 2021 trip is the Philmont 2020 trip that got postponed, otherwise we were not planning on doing any HA. We even debated this; when Philmont cancelled last year they offered a full refund. The families involved said they were willing to take the risk that Phimont would NOT be liquidated by July 2021.

Edited by CynicalScouter
53 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

My troop was planning to do Sea Base 2022. We are skipping it under the assumption there will be no Sea Base by that point.

Is anyone else operating under this assumption?  Not sure if we should even bother which totally stinks. Is there any alternative to Sea Base like there is to Northern Tier?

There is a Chesapeake Bay Sailing Adventure offered thru Rodney Scout Reservation in Del-Mar-Va council.

https://www.delmarvacouncil.org/high-adventure-opportunities/high-adventure-sailing-on-the-chesapeake/9297

Cost is less than Sea Base.

You can cut costs even more if you plan for and procure your own meals, which, according to my sources, is really all the Rodney provides for you....so, camp food.

You can charter with the Captain directly, provide your own meals, at substantially lower cost, and still get a High Adventure program, including merit badges.

DM me if you want more contact info.

• Upvote 1

Not sure where you live, but the los Angeles Meritime Institute (lami) has been our source for tall ship sailing. Our guys really enjoy it.

BTW, you rent the boat, and it holds 30. So you do need to find enough people to keep the cost down.

Edited by MattR
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree that loosing sea base would suck.  I’m hoping to take my venture crew there in 23   Already have other plans for 21 and 22.

if you want to create a non sea basescuba adventure and still visit the keys, you could talk to rainbow reef in key largo and see about a package.  Blackbeard cruises offers a live aboard sailing and scuba adventure that offers discounts to scouts. 

• 3 weeks later...

We have decided to move ahead with this trip after assurances from Sea Base that if they are unable to fulfill their commitment then all monies will be refunded. 

Now, those with experience, Out Island adventure or Keys adventure?  Really interested in hearing your likes and dislikes about both. Big Munson in the summer sounds HOT and BUGGY. 

Let me know your experiences. 

Thanks. 

• 1 year later...

Were you able to decide on Out Island or Key Adventure?  My troop is sending 2 crews to Sea Base next year and we are considering Coral Reef Sailing or Out Island Adventure. Which one is more adventurous?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

The Out Island Adventure is the "more" adventurous one.

Our group just came back from Out Island, and the kids enjoyed it, and I have to admit i had reservations because I am not a fan of having to be uncomfortable, but i actually enjoyed myself and my time on the island and the program activities that we did on the Out Island Adventure.    The Keys Adventure runs most of the same activities that you do on Out Island, but you spend your nights in air conditioned dorms instead of camping on the island (although you do camp one night on Munson with Keys Adventure)

It's a lot of work for the staff members to put on their program on the island, and everyone of them did an excellent job.