• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, tracking advancement is a different animal than listing each requirement for every award that a scout could earn. Frankly, one doesn't need any pre-printed material to track advancement. Line

My only wish is that all requirements were in one plain-old-ascii file. Same thing for annual reports.

I've worked with boys and girls and their tracking of things is indeed a high order of chaos. I'm not saying that the "blank ticket" approach is the way to go. I'm just using it to point out that

7 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

I wish we had a heart emoji here.   It's how it should be.  A scout is thrifty.  We just don't need printed versions every year. 

There are a number of Scouters who give me the stick eye with I reference something like this on my phone. With all of this moving electronically, we need to change to culture to not be so turned off by phones, tablets, laptops at meetings/campouts/outings. 

Also, I have the 2019 and 2020 Kindle editions of the requirements. 2021 is not out. The BSA is "committed" to moving these to electronic resources. They keep using that word. I don't think it means what they think it means.

Edited by mrjohns2

"committed" = thinking about it for some undetermined time in the future; a possibility  E.g. putting insignia and uniform rules on line - BSA "committed" to that some years ago.  I was curious back thenwhen I was  teaching the "Uniforming" course at more than one "University fo Scouting."   I gave up waiting after eleven years had passed.  I even volunteered several professional writers to help, an offer not acknowledged in any way.   😐

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, fred8033 said:

I wish we had a heart emoji here.   It's how it should be.  A scout is thrifty.  We just don't need printed versions every year. 

❤️

Copy and paste as you like.

Now if I could just upload it into forum directory....

invision_classic_heart.png

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

If you think seriously about it, this is long overdue.  Not only saved money and resources, but you can find the section you need and print it and not have to buy a book seldom used for other than on occasion.  

• Upvote 1
Just now, skeptic said:

Not only saved money and resources, but you can find the section you need and print it and not have to buy a book seldom used for other than on occasion.  

It will be great if they provide one large pdf guide. The Kindle edition was the same cost, and based on each year (not auto updated).

Wonder how many millions will be saved and returned to the scouts.    The Requirements Book  ($5) is really a book the scout, leader, parent can sit down and read through to see everything they can earn.   Unless this is available as a single file, scouts need to click on each individual badge or award to see the requirements and peak their interest.   A number of MBCs and leaders use the book all the time as a reference out in summer camp or just regular meetings instead of flipping through their phones if they even have connection.

Might as well just put the handbook and filled in worksheets on the site too.
  • Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, PACAN said:
Wonder how many millions will be saved and returned to the scouts.

I think that folks need to realize three things:

1) Fees are not going down. Nothing is getting "returned to scouts".

2) Layoffs have already hit national and numerous councils and they are not going to stop. Part of the reason for switching to all online print-on-demand is to adjust to a permanent loss in BSA supply chain workers.

3) The introduction of these efforts is to adjust expenditures to the new reality of income/revenue. Not to reduce revenue sources/requests.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

3) The introduction of these efforts is to adjust expenditures to the new reality of income/revenue. Not to reduce revenue sources/requests.

It is interesting that some of these items, even if they seemed expensive, must not have been "self sustaining" meaning that they were selling these at a loss. 

• Upvote 1

@CynicalScouter  Obviously (or maybe not)  my comment was facetious.  I've never seen the BSA return anything to the customer...seen many comments where even getting a $5 refund for a cancelled event was a major production

I did like your #3   "adjusting expenditures to the new reality of income/revenue".  I think a lot of councils are still in a fantasy world.

On 1/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, qwazse said:

My only wish is that all requirements were in one plain-old-ascii file.

Same thing for annual reports.

I prefer PDF documents as it effectively looks and feels like a book.  Professional.  Illustrations.  Cover page.  Index.  Table of contents.  Cross references.  Searchable. 

Most importantly, printable into a real document.  

• Upvote 1