1 hour ago, CynicalScouter said:

Nothing was announced, no. The phrase was used several times in terms of BSA's goals to expand "diversity, equity, and inclusion" in terms of board representation, outreach to scouts, etc. But not the merit badge.

I imagine they have significant scar tissue from the backlash it caused...best to let sleeping dogs lie for the moment.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO it would also be a good time to rethink "Eagle required" merit badges - subject areas, number, difficulty...

We just had a weekend group badge event, and from what the conselors told me, the youth were not concerned, and even had some serious comments.  Most importantly, I am noting that my own annoyance, wh

We recently did a Saturday badge session.  We had 25 Scouts attend.  The conversations were real, compelling, and friendly.  I think a key was setting ground rules that including this is serious, no t

Posted Images

On 1/7/2021 at 5:50 PM, John-in-KC said:

This just in

https://www.scouting.org/program-updates/proposed-eagle-scout-required-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-merit-badge-delayed/?fbclid=IwAR0vhrN-iX5aviqmDxkuy-5d3N4PMBMAelEQtXR1fpxz04nSkW00plCqGqQ

Proposed Eagle Scout Required Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Merit Badge Delayed

• January 7, 2021

The introduction of the proposed Diversity, Equity and Inclusion merit badge is being delayed to allow for the careful consideration and evaluation of feedback received from a wide variety of commenters on the draft requirements. Until further notice, all Scouts working on the Eagle Scout rank should continue to use current rank requirements. Once the Eagle-required Diversity, Equity and Inclusion merit badge is introduced, Scouts in the process of earning the rank of Eagle Scout will be given adequate time to earn it.

Updates regarding the merit badge will be shared with councils directly and via Scoutingwire. Specific questions are welcome via email at Officeof.ChiefDiversityOfficer@scouting.org.

What even is the purpose of this proposed merit badge? If they want to introduce it as an optional MB, fine. However, if they make it a required MB, they may find that many Scouts and their parents will just leave. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
58 minutes ago, Delphinus said:

What even is the purpose of this proposed merit badge? If they want to introduce it as an optional MB, fine. However, if they make it a required MB, they may find that many Scouts and their parents will just leave. 

Citizenship in Society has been Eagle required for a full year now.  I have conducted multiple small group sessions with scouts from multiple troops, and have not yet seen anyone who decided to leave rather than earn the MB.

• Upvote 4
37 minutes ago, qwazse said:

So far, I haven’t met scouts who settled for aging out at Life because of his badge.

And I've yet to quit my corporate job over the constant DEI and ESG pushes. That doesn't mean I'm 100% on board ~ I just like it when my paychecks clear and I can pay my mortgage and buy food. 🙂

I'd imagine it's the same deal for some boys ~ they do what they need to in order to earn the badge.

• Upvote 1
On 7/2/2023 at 10:13 AM, Delphinus said:

Echoing what others have already said, the Scouts for whom I've served as MBC over the past year or so have seemed to enjoy the discussions on our various similarities/differences with some very poignant and impactful stories about bullying in school, etc. for looking/talking/acting "different".  None of our Scouts or their families have indicated that this something that would cause them to leave, and considering we're in a geographic region where anything "different" is automatically suspect, that's saying something.  

TL;DR version - it's a nothing-burger from the perspective of your theory. 

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, Owls_are_cool said:

Hypothetical...If I am selling Scouts BSA to a prospective scout, would bringing up this merit badge increase or decrease the chances of them joining the program?

It's a nothing-burger is a mostly accurate representation.

Youth and parents won't join scouting because of the diversity MB.  IMHO, it's a check box for the modern era.  

It's a slight negative because it's yet another paperwork / school like MB.  Scouts can enjoy the conversation just like most people enjoy complaining about school / work or espousing expertise on hot air topics.  

Scout's join to have fun, be active and get bragging rights.  IMHO, this MB does none of that.  It strongly overlaps with school and 1000 other pipelines.  Generally, the MB is a nothing burger except that some will complain about politics or wasting time.  Some will have an interesting conversation; but then again, scouts should have having interesting conversations around every camp fire.  

IMHO ... for the love of all that is scouting ... Condense these school MBs into fewer MBs !!!  More bow and arrow.  More camp fire cooking.  More hiking.  More swimming.  etc, etc, etc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Owls_are_cool said:

Hypothetical...If I am selling Scouts BSA to a prospective scout, would bringing up this merit badge increase or decrease the chances of them joining the program?

Not hypothetically, I'd focus on any number of the outdoor components of Scouting before I'd mention any of the Citizenship badges, Family Life, etc.  But to the extent it's a topic of conversation, I can't imagine telling a prospective Scout, "At some point before you earn the rank of Eagle, you'll need to work on a merit badge where you'll be asked to think about and discuss similarities and differences between you and others."  

YMMV

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

IMHO ... for the love of all that is scouting ... Condense these school MBs into fewer MBs !!!  More bow and arrow.  More camp fire cooking.  More hiking.  More swimming.  etc, etc, etc

This, all day every day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Owls_are_cool said:

If it is a past camp staffer from the 1980’s and 1990’s who fell away from the program due to very conservative policies? Yes. For everyone else? Nah. I agree with the other poster that said camping and self / team reliance. 

6 hours ago, Owls_are_cool said:

It could help if they bring up anti inclusions stances BSA has had in the past; However, I don't think it sells the program at all.  I have never had no seen the need for it come up with prospective scouts.

• Upvote 2
On 7/6/2023 at 10:39 AM, curious_scouter said:

We recently did a Saturday badge session.  We had 25 Scouts attend.  The conversations were real, compelling, and friendly.  I think a key was setting ground rules that including this is serious, no teasing, and what gets discussed in the room stays in the room.  Everyone got the badge and said they had fun and learned something.  I think it all comes down to how it's presented.  I will admit when the badge was released I was pretty cynical about it, but having seen it delivered and the way the Scouts responded to it - I'm quite in favor of it.  I do share the wish we could compress some of the "school" type badges a bit and expand the focus on outdoorsy or hands-on badges, but I definitely have evolved my opinion on this badge. 

Curious as to how 25 Scouts completed all the requirements as stated in one Saturday session?

I worked on this with a Patrol of 10 Scouts in our Troop and it took 5 sessions of 1.5 hours each.  Every Scout had to complete the requirements, as stated.  

So, for example, we had 10 different presentations for requirement 7.  That takes a good deal of time.

I think 10 Scouts was way too many for one class for this MB.  BSA recommends a "small group", but does not say how small is "small".

"Due to the maturity and skill needed to serve as the counselor of this badge, it is recommended that this merit badge not be offered in a summer-camp setting. It is not intended to be added onto the existing duties of summer-camp staff members or included in a class setting like a merit badge college. The intent is for the true learning to be experienced through the Scout’s own research. It will work most effectively in the Scout’s discussions with their merit badge counselor or in a small group setting. The goal is to have openness and depth of conversation. (This can be offered in a small group setting or with the merit badge counselor following Youth Protection two-deep leadership requirements of two adults and one youth.)."

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/merit_badge_reqandres/CitizenshipSociety_Counselors.pdf

• Upvote 1