This just in

https://www.scouting.org/program-updates/proposed-eagle-scout-required-diversity-equity-and-inclusion-merit-badge-delayed/?fbclid=IwAR0vhrN-iX5aviqmDxkuy-5d3N4PMBMAelEQtXR1fpxz04nSkW00plCqGqQ

Proposed Eagle Scout Required Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Merit Badge Delayed

• January 7, 2021

The introduction of the proposed Diversity, Equity and Inclusion merit badge is being delayed to allow for the careful consideration and evaluation of feedback received from a wide variety of commenters on the draft requirements. Until further notice, all Scouts working on the Eagle Scout rank should continue to use current rank requirements. Once the Eagle-required Diversity, Equity and Inclusion merit badge is introduced, Scouts in the process of earning the rank of Eagle Scout will be given adequate time to earn it.

Updates regarding the merit badge will be shared with councils directly and via Scoutingwire. Specific questions are welcome via email at Officeof.ChiefDiversityOfficer@scouting.org.

Edited by John-in-KC
Adding content
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMHO it would also be a good time to rethink "Eagle required" merit badges - subject areas, number, difficulty...

We just had a weekend group badge event, and from what the conselors told me, the youth were not concerned, and even had some serious comments.  Most importantly, I am noting that my own annoyance, wh

We recently did a Saturday badge session.  We had 25 Scouts attend.  The conversations were real, compelling, and friendly.  I think a key was setting ground rules that including this is serious, no t

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMHO it would also be a good time to rethink "Eagle required" merit badges - subject areas, number, difficulty...

I don't think we are ready for opening that can of worms.   It seems to me that there is a decent mix now for the required merit badges.  I can't say that I can think of any MB that must be there that isn't and ones that exist that shouldn't be there.  There are ones that the scouts may not like but they cover and reinforce part of the scout law and oath.  

When I ask scouts at their EBOR what merit badges they think are the most important ones it surprises me when they say Personal Management or the Citizenship MB's.  But this answer happens a lot.  I never get the answer of Swimming or Camping.

• Upvote 1

My hope would be (though not likely) is that they actually take one of 2 paths for this new set of requirements.  Whether one thinks the DEI initiative is a good thing or a bad thing, it is likely not going away.  BSA National has opened the door, so they will not be able to close that door

2 Hopeful Paths

• Restructure the Citizenship Merit Badges to include some new items.  Some of the DEI requirements could relate to community, nation, or world.
  • Remove the Citizenship in the World MB from Eagle required and insert the (obviously reworked) DEI merit badge in it's place

Doubt that will happen, but it would be a good path

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

When I ask scouts at their EBOR what merit badges they think are the most important ones it surprises me when they say Personal Management or the Citizenship MB's.  But this answer happens a lot.  I never get the answer of Swimming or Camping.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Swimming and Camping emphasize skills associated with keeping you safe, warm, and alive.

Citizenship and Personal Management are about higher level functions. They may never camp or swim the day after the EBOR. They will, however, be a part community, nation, and world the rest of their lives. They will have to engage in personal management (to one extent or another).

Maslows-Hierarchy-of-Needs[1].jpg

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

Maybe they have learned to give the expected answers, please the questioner.  I typically get they feel first aid, the shooting sports, climbing, and camping as important.

3 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

My hope would be (though not likely) is that they actually take one of 2 paths for this new set of requirements.  Whether one thinks the DEI initiative is a good thing or a bad thing, it is likely not going away.  BSA National has opened the door, so they will not be able to close that door

2 Hopeful Paths

• Restructure the Citizenship Merit Badges to include some new items.  Some of the DEI requirements could relate to community, nation, or world.
  • Remove the Citizenship in the World MB from Eagle required and insert the (obviously reworked) DEI merit badge in it's place

Doubt that will happen, but it would be a good path

Yeah, I get the impression from what's already been done that this isn't a question of either path. They've committed to a DEI merit badge; if they outright fail to produce a DEI merit badge it will be a disaster (path 1). Junking Cit World could have been an option, but they already committed to keeping it.

I could be wrong,  but the question is on the MB's content, not structural changes.

1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

Maybe they have learned to give the expected answers, please the questioner.  I typically get they feel first aid, the shooting sports, climbing, and camping as important.

Who knows.  I certainly expected different answers but I have been in around 20 EBOR for scouts in multiple districts so I don't think it is coaching from a single source.    I expected to hear first aid like the answers that you have gotten but got different ones.

1 hour ago, CynicalScouter said:

IF this is accurate, the last time there was any kind of major overhaul was 1999? 1972?

http://usscouts.org/usscouts/eagle/EagleHistory.asp

IMO, 1972, 1999 was a return to choice. In some cases, a scout could select a preferred "required" merit badge from a subject groups as I did back in the day.  

At my EBOR, I would have answered that Lifesaving was most important as I was a lifeguard and rescued a few people. Today, I might say Public Health.

Would I have First Aid, Swimming, Personal Fitness, Cooking merit badges? Nope. First Aid should be a yearly re-certification with each year requiring more skills. Every FC scout should be strong swimmer, physically strong, and a passable patrol cook.

What groups for Eagle required merit badges? Hmmm, one or two from each group- a few required but most scouts select.

Emergencies: Emergency Preparedness, Search and Rescue, Fire Safety, Lifesaving

Outdoor:  Camping, Backpacking, Hiking, Wilderness Survival, Orienteering, Pioneering, Canoeing, Kayaking,...

Health (well-being): Safety (add tool safety), Public Health, Medicine, Disabilities Awareness

Personal Finance:  Personal Finance

Citizenship:  focus on responsibilities and rights. Service, voting, petition, remedies. Interaction with government particularly police..

Environment:  Fish&Wildlife Management, Forestry, Environment Science (ugh), Sustainability (ugher), Soil & Water, Nature

Maker skills : Cooking ( as in make family dinner! :D), Home Repair, Woodwork, Robotics. Dradting (CAD, Wood carving, Electricity, Plumbing...

OR

Science:  Chemistry, Engineering, Architecture, Aviation

my $0.01 for rambling

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

IF this is accurate, the last time there was any kind of major overhaul was 1999? 1972?

http://usscouts.org/usscouts/eagle/EagleHistory.asp

1972 was the BIG change.  Many of the core badges (swimming / camping / cooking) were part of the group that could or could not be earned.  That was the change wherein one could become Eagle and not have camped at all and basically not have gone outside at all

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

IMO, 1972, 1999 was a return to choice. In some cases, a scout could select a preferred "required" merit badge from a subject groups as I did back in the day.  

At my EBOR, I would have answered that Lifesaving was most important as I was a lifeguard and rescued a few people. Today, I might say Public Health.

Would I have First Aid, Swimming, Personal Fitness, Cooking merit badges? Nope. First Aid should be a yearly re-certification with each year requiring more skills. Every FC scout should be strong swimmer, physically strong, and a passable patrol cook.

What groups for Eagle required merit badges? Hmmm, one or two from each group- a few required but most scouts select.

Emergencies: Emergency Preparedness, Search and Rescue, Fire Safety, Lifesaving

Outdoor:  Camping, Backpacking, Hiking, Wilderness Survival, Orienteering, Pioneering, Canoeing, Kayaking,...

Health (well-being): Safety (add tool safety), Public Health, Medicine, Disabilities Awareness

Personal Finance:  Personal Finance

Citizenship:  focus on responsibilities and rights. Service, voting, petition, remedies. Interaction with government particularly police..

Environment:  Fish&Wildlife Management, Forestry, Environment Science (ugh), Sustainability (ugher), Soil & Water, Nature

Maker skills : Cooking ( as in make family dinner! :D), Home Repair, Woodwork, Robotics. Dradting (CAD, Wood carving, Electricity, Plumbing...

OR

Science:  Chemistry, Engineering, Architecture, Aviation

my $0.01 for rambling

I love this idea.  Allows Scouts to find their own path, but make sure they balance between the various scout skills, oath & law.  

• Upvote 1

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Swimming and Camping emphasize skills associated with keeping you safe, warm, and alive.

Citizenship and Personal Management are about higher level functions. They may never camp or swim the day after the EBOR. They will, however, be a part community, nation, and world the rest of their lives. They will have to engage in personal management (to one extent or another).

Oh, for the days when Maslow's pyramids were sketched with scrawled labels on transparencies and pinned on bulletin boards in the halls of academia! I should have taped pictures of fresh sandwichs under them and a rotting ones outside of them. ;) It's not that I disagree with the concept, it's that people mistakenly put intellectually demanding actions at the top of the pyramid. Can't blame them, it's an academic concept.

For example, I think you've placed Swimming and Camping too low on that hierarchy. Those two in particular are about fulfilling the vision of the pinnacle scouting experience of hiking and camping independently with your mates. Sure it's kinda nice to forestall your own death, but the requirements for these MB's in particular are to gain the strength and skill to keep others in your care whole ... thereby achieving a sense of love and belonging, esteem, and self-actualization.

Scouts should camp and swim the day after their EBoR If I recall correctly, we once rescheduled a trek for the sake of an SPL's EBoR . The following weekend's weather subjected us to a maniacal winter storm hellscape. When we were all finally home safe, I told the scout he owed us big time. Kid's, invite your district reps to visit your campsite and convene your EBoR around a nice fire. We scouters will love you forever, thereby enabling your full self-actualization. ;)

• Upvote 1