Music for Eagle Ceremony

I'm looking for music suggestions to accompany PowerPoint presentations at Eagle courts of honor. It's become somewhat of a tradition in our troop of late to show a brief presentation covering the boy's Scouting career. Personally I love seeing the old photos and watching them grow from Cub to Eagle. However; if I have to listen "Fly Like An Eagle" by Steve Miller one more time I just may lose it. Any suggestions out there? I'd like to make a list of these and put it into our troop ceremonies binder.

Any assistance is appreciated.

I did the same thing for my son! I used "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copeland. Great music. Very regal. I also used "God Bless the USA". There is a video that goes with this. I also used "The Entertainer" (theme to "The Sting") by Scott Joplin during the Power Point picture presentation.

The music doesn't have to be about eagles. It just has to fit the ceremony.

Let us know what you decide to use & how it turns out.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed & OGE, I really like those suggestions. "God Bless the USA" and "Chariots of Fire" would definitely get my goose-bumps going, and "Forever Young" would probably generate a kleenex shortage. Excellent choices.

Ed I like your point that "eagle" needn't appear in the title. I seems natural to want a song that mentions the word "eagle", but you're right it isn't necessary -- the music needs to fit the images.

Anyone else have any suggestions -- I've already got 5 in only 2 posts!

The opening from "Thus Spake Zarathruska (Strauss) aka the theme from Star Wars sets a ceremonial tone and will rivet the attention of the crowd. The higher the volume, the better. It runs about 2 minutes and is a great opening for a court of honor. Eds Copeland suggestion is excellent too.

Ever hear of Hot Butter by Popcorn? Its an electronic intstrumental that might be nice as well as the theme to Hawaii Five O by the Ventures (wonder if they were an early Crew?)

Classical Gas is an instrumental by Mason Williams which would work as well

Ooh oooh oooooh, as I read this, I really get the feeling all these song, classic or pop are really OLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDD School, maybe something from the era of the scout would be nice, I know its got a lousy official title but Good Riddance (Time of your Life) by Green Day might be nice and there is a chance the kids would recognize it. I used this as a reading at my son's Eagle Court. I was halfway through it before the scouts recognized it was one of their "songs" and pronounced it cool that a dad would take "their music" and use it as opposed to all that old stuff.

Its written as a ballad and is quite tame music

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road.

Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go.

So make the best of this test, and don't ask why.

It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.

I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind.

Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time.

Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial.

For what it's worth, it was worth all the while.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.

I hope you had the time of your life.

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Another suggestion. If you have Windows XP, download Microsoft Movie Maker. It's free. Other than being a little slow, it's a slick way of doing a slide show. It has some cool transitions, and works better with music. My 12 year old did a 15 minute movie on Summer Camp for our last COH. It played while the families were eating dinner. He did it all with practically no help from me (and he had never used it before).

Try to incorporate any songs that really get your heart going...they don't really have to relate to scouting or the USA; but rather, choose some songs that really intensify the scout's experiences and really "capture the moment" of the court of honor.

Here are some of my choices...

"Time of your life" by Green Day

"Alive" by POD

U2's "Beautiful Day"

I've seen a variety of great music used during Eagle Courts. John Williams' "Theme from Superman" was used once and prompted the SM to open his speech by saying "I'd like to remind these young gentlemen that it's 'Eagle' Scout not 'Ego' Scout."

Someone once got a soundtrack of TV themes and used songs like the Muppet Themesong or Looney Tunes during parts of their court. I've also heard several marches like "Bridge on the River Kwai", "William Tell" and other Western themes.

I always like it when the songs actually had some meaning during the scout's experiences in the troop. One group of guys always sang "Yellow Submarine" so the song also found its way into their Eagle Ceremony.

My advice is let the music fit the scout. Famous classical songs will work for some people and will go along with their pictures. Marches will work for other people. Oldies, TV themes, humorous songs, etc might fit someone else's scouting career.

I'm in the process of creating the very same type of slideshow - from Cub to Eagle - for a COH in November.

Music Choice - Theme from "Band of Brothers".

Reason - These scouts have been together since cub scouts, bridged over together, been to summer camp together, and been in school together since elementary school. They truly are a band of brothers.(This message has been edited by MTDScouter)

Hey ManyIrons,

You call what we did this past weekend camping? To me it was more like freezing. Only in the Midwest will it be nice and warm in the day, then the temp drop 40 degrees in two hours once the sun goes down. :)

Enough of the sarcasm. Hope you had fun at the conclave, I sure did!

I would go with something like "God Bless the USA" that has been suggested, or with "Stand By Me".