Jump to content

Girl Scouts accuse Boy Scouts of 'damaging' recruitment tactics


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, yknot said:

Interesting. They were in an English speaking Scouts Canada unit near Montreal. One of my cub scout dens face timed with them to fulfill a requirement to interact with scouts from another country. One of the things my cubs found most shocking was that Canadian scouts have to pledge allegiance to their Queen lol.

The youngest nephew tried to continue with his old U.S. unit when he returned over breaks but it was not easy or inexpensive to do. Another way scouting could boost membership in a small way would be to make a scouting registration more portable and seamless between units.

Ask, and you shall receive...???

You can now transfer and multiple between units using your My.Scouting account

National 11/16/2020

Now users are able to transfer from one Scout unit to another without having to take a new application into the Scout office. On the “My Application” tab you can transfer yourself as an adult volunteer or your youth member from unit to unit. Unit leaders will be able to transfer youth by going to the new “Roster” feature in “Member Manager” and “Organization Manager” and select the youth who need to be transferred, then click the “Transfer” icon. This will create a transfer application which will be sent to the new unit with the ability to be approved in “Application Manager”.Transfers will take 48 hours to sync with the new unit.

The “Roster tool” also allows unit leaders to email other leaders in the unit directly from the tool. Editing youth/adult profiles, and printing rosters/membership cards is also available in the updated tool.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the GSUSA had marketed their Gold Award half as effectively as they've promoted 'Thin Mints' and 'Do-Si-Do's' we wouldn't be in this mess.

If you recall Surbagh's Town Hall video, he as much admitted they (National gang) was pretty much out of ideas on how to add members to the program.  The adding girls was a hail Mary.   In realit

In my opinion the source of GSUSA's anger, or sour grapes, is embedded in how the whole issue unfolded.  I don't know if anyone remembers the lead up and roll out of this but at the time we were

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Ask, and you shall receive...???

You can now transfer and multiple between units using your My.Scouting account

National 11/16/2020

Now users are able to transfer from one Scout unit to another without having to take a new application into the Scout office. On the “My Application” tab you can transfer yourself as an adult volunteer or your youth member from unit to unit. Unit leaders will be able to transfer youth by going to the new “Roster” feature in “Member Manager” and “Organization Manager” and select the youth who need to be transferred, then click the “Transfer” icon. This will create a transfer application which will be sent to the new unit with the ability to be approved in “Application Manager”.Transfers will take 48 hours to sync with the new unit.

The “Roster tool” also allows unit leaders to email other leaders in the unit directly from the tool. Editing youth/adult profiles, and printing rosters/membership cards is also available in the updated tool.

That is very good news. Where, when and how was that communicated if you don't mind sharing? I generally pay attention to news but totally missed this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yknot said:

That is very good news. Where, when and how was that communicated if you don't mind sharing? I generally pay attention to news but totally missed this. 

If you log into my.scouting.org at any point in the last 6 weeks.

It was also pushed to councils, Scoutbook forums, etc

 

Untitled.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

If you log into my.scouting.org at any point in the last 6 weeks.

It was also pushed to councils, Scoutbook forums, etc

 

Untitled.png

Thanks. That explains it. Council does not communicate and every time I have logged onto my.scouting recently I've been so focused on the @#%!  YPT button for the @$%!  YPT training that I have not seen anything else. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 10:46 AM, MattR said:

Yep. Kind of like breaking up  the phone company. If it helps the youth then I'm for it.

Besides, the term scout is bigger than either of the 2 organizations. And I'm not talking about Israeli Scouts or Polish Scouts, both of which reside in the US and nobody seems too bothered by. Let Trail Life call themselves a scouting organization, because they are. Same for BPSA. Who doesn't think the S stands for Scout? There has to be a legal principal that if it walks like a scout, talks like a scout and eats like a scout, then it's a scout.

Agree, consider this recent story, does it really matter if these girls who are scouts are GSUSA or Scouts,BSA Troop 222 "girl scouts".

Boy and girl scouts pick up nearly 100 Christmas trees to recycle

https://kobi5.com/news/local-news/boy-and-girl-scouts-pick-up-nearly-100-christmas-trees-to-recycle-143210/

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Agree, consider this recent story, does it really matter if these girls who are scouts are GSUSA or Scouts,BSA Troop 222 "girl scouts".

Boy and girl scouts pick up nearly 100 Christmas trees to recycle

https://kobi5.com/news/local-news/boy-and-girl-scouts-pick-up-nearly-100-christmas-trees-to-recycle-143210/

My $0.02,

@RememberSchiff, this goes to the crux of the suit. GS/USA would argue that this constitutes continuing use of their brand: allowing a headline with “girl” and “scout” to garner goodwill toward any organization other than their own.

It’s not relevant that you and I are hungry for a story of scouts of both sexes working together in a chipper mood. :D

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

How has the Boy Scouts allowing girls into their organization affected the Girl Scouts, if at all?

It hasn’t significantly affected us. Girls enjoy being in a girl-only organization. Our model is centered on being girl-led, learning-by-doing and cooperative learning, which resonates strongly with today’s girls. Girl Scouts remains focused on building courage, confidence and character.

Marie Gieringer, CFO of Girl Scouts-Diamonds of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas

https://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/137157/girl-scout-cfo-marie-gieringer-opens-doors-to-opportunities

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

It hasn’t significantly affected us. Girls enjoy being in a girl-only organization. Our model is centered on being girl-led, learning-by-doing and cooperative learning, which resonates strongly with today’s girls. Girl Scouts remains focused on building courage, confidence and character.

Marie Gieringer, CFO of Girl Scouts-Diamonds of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas

She has to say that...whether the facts are otherwise or not.  Notice, no stats or raw numbers in the article...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday, Sept. 15, 2021

"10:30 a.m. - U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein will hold a telephonic oral argument on the Boy Scouts of America's attempt to end a trademark case brought by the Girl Scouts of the United States of America. The Girl Scouts alleged in Manhattan federal court that the Boy Scouts' rebranding as "Scouts BSA" following its decision to allow girls infringes its trademarks. The Boy Scouts moved for summary judgment last year, arguing among other things that it hasn't caused and won't cause consumer confusion, and accusing the Girl Scouts of bringing the lawsuit as part of a "ground war" over its decision to include girls.

The case is Girl Scouts of the United States of America v. Boy Scouts of America, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, No. 1:18-cv-10287. For the Girl Scouts: Bruce Ewing of Dorsey & Whitney. For the Boy Scouts: Rachel Kassabian of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/transactional/week-ahead-intellectual-property-sept-13-2021-2021-09-10/

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

She has to say that...whether the facts are otherwise or not.  Notice, no stats or raw numbers in the article...

Right, because there's no way to get the statsor data in a way to make that kind of a statement. Not without heavy lifting.

1) Membership in GSUSA and BSA had already been declining for years due to social changes on how young people and their parent spend their time.

2) Then the BSA's move regarding girls

3) Then COVID

So, how much did EACH of these impact GSUSA numbers? You'd have to do a fairly sophisticated marketing and membership model factoring in these multiple aspects to try and pull out what impacted what and how much.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Covid alone throws the data out-the-window. The other stuff, at best, would just be polling opinions.

The smart action would be for the BSA to stay the BSA for a while and for them to work together with the GSUSA on a national marketing campaign to promote scouting. More difficult for the BSA because it is a co-gender program, but it could still be done if the two groups worked together.

Barry

Link to post
Share on other sites

Judge Likely to Rule for Boy Scouts in Trademark Case With Girl Scouts
 

Quote

 

The judge said the Girl Scouts can’t prove those claims and suggested the suit was filed only to hamper the Boy Scouts’ push to recruit girls.

“‘Girl Scouts’ is a brand. ‘Boy Scouts’ is a brand,” Hellerstein told the Girl Scouts’ lawyer, Bruce Ewing, in a hearing in Manhattan. “But ‘scouting’ describes an activity.”

The judge didn’t say when he’ll issue a formal ruling in the case.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Good.  This was a bad lawsuit by a bitter organization.  GSUSA's reaction to this change was sad and I hope they and their councils grow up and allow us to work together again.

That said ... BSA can't come back and sue other orgs if they use the word scouting when working with boys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...