DRAFT: DE&I merit badge requirements

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the Scouting FB groups that had these requirements posted, took down the post and 153 (last time I looked) comments down and is asking folks to report anyone who does post them. Sounds Orw

Careful please. Don't mistake my views vs. those of others. As I said, I believe as a MBC I could work with this MB. I can also very much see/know/observe in the Reddit and Facebook groups and ev

Impossible.  ... We value making connections with our scouts.  To make connections, we talk.  Maybe a few can discuss this topic at the ideal concept level.  But most will bring their politics into it

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, tnmule20 said:

Possibly. If they decide to continue to participate. 

Seriously. Drama aside, how many parents are even going to know this is going to happen? And how many are going to raise a fuss? And how many of THEM are going to get appeased/have their scouts pencil whipped through?

It's a box to be checked of that their scout is "woke". Aside from the sexual aspects of the MB (which as I said I have received assurances from my district advancement chair will be waived or parental option no matter what National says) everything else is box checking.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

I don't like the wordiness either, but there are ADULTS who work hard to find an easy out. I got into a polite argument with a district & NYLT staffer who insisted that if a Scout set up a tent in a cabin, it would count for rank advancement if they slept in it. I said, no, no it wouldn't, not in my troop; as the SM, that wouldn't fly. They went on to say that they checked with the council commissioner and that it was legit. I said, that, well, in my troop, that is not what we do. I then used it as a SM minute. I asked the troop to think about doing that, that was that the intent, and that would they all like me to sign them off on their next two ranks and go to the council office and buy them the badges? 

Then there is the other side. I met a SM this summer who said he wouldn't sign off on any first class scout who couldn't do 6 basic knots in under 1 minute. 

My thought is that the legal-eese of the requirements is to stop either these "supper loose" interpretations or the "supper stiff" interpretations. 

Very well said and I understand.  It's why I'd like to see a separate adult leader requirements guide.  Let's put the intent and legalese details in that document.  

I just want writing the scouts will really read.

1 hour ago, CynicalScouter said:

That will end in March 2021. At that point if they aren't in Scoutbook, they are not a registered MBC.

Conversely, if they are in Scoutbook you'll know they are valid.

I am a big Scoutbook person and would like it to work this way. I will sign up for another merit badge tonight and see how long scoutbook updates. My guess is that a manual upload to scoutbook is needed via the council....or manual entry to scoutnet. Council drops the ball and valid councillors do not appear in scoutbook. Units will do what they have to do for the scouts when councils/national let us down...though i am currently trying to be part of the solution.

21 minutes ago, Owls_are_cool said:

I am a big Scoutbook person and would like it to work this way. I will sign up for another merit badge tonight and see how long scoutbook updates. My guess is that a manual upload to scoutbook is needed via the council....or manual entry to scoutnet. Council drops the ball and valid councillors do not appear in scoutbook. Units will do what they have to do for the scouts when councils/national let us down...though i am currently trying to be part of the solution.

The idea is that you will no longer be able to add yourself as a MBC directly into Scoutbook. Your council, when it puts your application through Scoutnet, is official Then Scoutnet updates Scoutbook.

So yes, it still relies on Council (or District depending, I know some districts process MBCs) getting it into Scoutnet. But it also means that if you are not in Scoutbook, you are not officially registered as a MBC. It also eliminates units being able to put MBCs into Scoutbook (which was a problem as tons of "unofficial" MBC without YPT were working with scouts).

https://discussions.scouting.org/t/upcoming-scoutbook-mbc-actions/185362/3

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, CynicalScouter said:

The idea is that you will no longer be able to add yourself as a MBC directly into Scoutbook. Your council, when it puts your application through Scoutnet, is official Then Scoutnet updates Scoutbook.

So yes, it still relies on Council (or District depending, I know some districts process MBCs) getting it into Scoutnet. But it also means that if you are not in Scoutbook, you are not officially registered as a MBC. It also eliminates units being able to put MBCs into Scoutbook (which was a problem as tons of "unofficial" MBC without YPT were working with scouts).

https://discussions.scouting.org/t/upcoming-scoutbook-mbc-actions/185362/3

That is how it has been in our council for a while now.  

The new merit badge is not in scoutbook as of 12:20 am MST Jan 1. ;)

My council uploaded a MBC list to scoutbook on Mar 24, 2020 and since that time, I could not list anyone in my unit as a MBC. Here is an interesting fact, as unit leader, I can sign off on any merit badge requirement in scoutbook. This is important, since I get a stack of blue cards from Merit Badge University or from summer camp and I have to manually enter that information into Scoutbook. Right now, there is nothing stopping me from signing off on any merit badge requirement, but I only do so for MBs that I am approved for by my council. Occasionally, I sign off on MB requirements in scoutbook, when their MBC asks me to (not all MBC have access to tech to use scoutbook). 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, mashmaster said:

That is how it has been in our council for a while now.  

The MBC approval and listing process takes about 10 to 16 weeks in our council.

Once I have an Adult Application and MBC form submitted to council, I have the counselor go ahead and counsel badges "in good faith", and I sign them off in Scoutbook if the MBC approves one. 

I do not do this for any badges requiring a special qualification, like Climbing, some aquatics or shooting sports badges...those listed in G2A.

12 hours ago, Owls_are_cool said:

@DuctTapeand others,

Let's remember the original purpose of merit badges...to expose scouts to various topics that they find interesting.

Agreed. It is also a means to implement the Adult Association Method especially with adults who are not part of the scouts immediate circle. Personally these two reasons is why I advocate against using troop specific mB counselors whenever possible.

44 minutes ago, PACAN said:

@InquisitiveScouter 10-16 weeks?   What council are you in?   That's ridiculous.

I will remain council-anonymous.  Over the past few years, I have filed about 30 forms for parents in the Troop to serve as MBCs. 

The process here is

1. You must file a new Adult Application, as this is a District (not Council) vs Unit position. The position is no-fee.  (I think this is standard across the country.?)

2.  With the Application, you must also file your MBC Info Form 34405.  (Also standard...)

3.  The Registrar looks over the form and, when all is in order, then gives it to SE, who has to sign it.  Once SE approves, it goes back to Registrar.  It is unknown how long this part of the process takes, or whether the council runs the background check again. (I suspect not, due to cost.)

4. Once the Registrar gets the SE-approved App, the MBC Info Form goes to the District advancement volunteer who "vets" the MBCs.  On several occasions, when I inquired on status for some applicants, the Registrar told me our District volunteer had not yet come to the office to physically pick up forms.  (Yes, I know we live in the digital age.) This is, imho, a single point of failure in the system here.

5.  Once our District vol gets the Info Forms, they review them and contact the individual if there are any qualifications for the MBs.  Anecdotally, this only seems to happen with Eagle required and "restricted" badges.  These contact calls usually occur about 4 to 8 weeks into the process.

6.  Once District approved, the forms physically go back to the Registrar, who enters them into ScoutNet.  Previously, a pdf MBC list went out annually to unit leaders.  You could request one "out-of-cycle", but it usually wasn't updated.  Our lists were not in Scoutbook until about one year ago.  Scoutbook (SB) has helped the process tremendously.

7.  It appears the Registrar holds the forms (from all Districts) to do a batch entry about once per month.  I have not inquired as to the frequency here...

8.  You get no notification your App or form are approved.  You have to check SB.  This process also applies when filing a new Info Form for Add‐Drop.

9.  If your YPT expires, you get no notice...you just drop from SB.

10.  Once a year, the Registrar sends out an email to all MBCs to re-register them.  If you do not answer the email, or make sure your YPT or other clearances are up to date, you are automatically dropped.

I do know that MBC forms are lowest on our Registrar's to‐do list.  We have one Registrar.  They used to have an Admin assistant who would come in part-time for data entry, but she left over a year ago (pre-Covid).  No replacement..

Many of our MBCs also do not use SB.  I have several (not associated with our unit) who strictly use printed blue cards.  There are also a few who simply email me when Scouts are complete.  I mark those in complete and approved in SB and tell the Scout to print a blue card from SB for their records.

Also, no one, other than unit leaders (me), checks to see if Scouts complete a badge with registered MBCs.

Complicating this calculus, we live near the border of two other councils, and our Scouts go to some of their MB events throughout the year.  Those councils approve MBs with registrations in Tentaroo.  (Yes, I know this is not allowed.  I have already Quixotied that windmill.)

So, you can see why most unit leaders around here just use unit level MBCs and sign off stuff in SB.

It's not ridiculous...it's insane.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

In a video previously cited, I think the folks at National said the requirements would not be in Scoutbook until May?

Anyone else glean that from the Office Hours session?

The office hours said scouts could start to earn as early as today but would not be mandatory for Eagles until May.

Rank advancement would also go into effect in May.

8b0749302b98a1205e78e35ad159d893788fe6d6[1].jpeg

58 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

4. Once the Registrar gets the SE-approved App, the MBC Info Form goes to the District advancement volunteer who "vets" the MBCs.  On several occasions, when I inquired on status for some applicants, the Registrar told me our District volunteer had not yet come to the office to physically pick up forms.  (Yes, I know we live in the digital age.) This is, imho, a single point of failure in the system here.

My council and district: no vetting. At all. Just list what you want. Done.

And the reference section of new applications (where someone is suppose to call and check references) has now been pushed down to district volunteers. That's caused angst as some of these people do NOT want the council copy which includes SSNs, birthdates, etc.

My district has not have a district executive in 8 years nor a district commissioner in as long.

Edited by CynicalScouter