DRAFT: DE&I merit badge requirements

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the Scouting FB groups that had these requirements posted, took down the post and 153 (last time I looked) comments down and is asking folks to report anyone who does post them. Sounds Orw

Careful please. Don't mistake my views vs. those of others. As I said, I believe as a MBC I could work with this MB. I can also very much see/know/observe in the Reddit and Facebook groups and ev

Impossible.  ... We value making connections with our scouts.  To make connections, we talk.  Maybe a few can discuss this topic at the ideal concept level.  But most will bring their politics into it

Posted Images

1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Wow, reading the comments at the link above...sheesh...much worse than here...lol

I just read and watched the YouTube video.  Extremely well produced.  Comments seemed to reflect real concern.

It's interesting as the video mentioned fosturing open discussion.  As a professional ... and because of my gender and race ... to protect my career and future ... the last thing I can do is participate in an open discussion on this topic.  It's best for me to quietly listen.  Any response or comment can quickly get out of control.

• Like 1

As usual, National missed the boat by not marketing the program as a natural for developing habits of  DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION. They only have to show how the BSA Mission is to develop young people into ethical and moral decisions based from the Oath and Law. 

But no, National is following the politically correct route and setting an image of making change where none is required. I wonder how many even know their Vision and Mission.

I have many stories of scouts and parents telling how the activities or our units changed their sons understanding of other's differences.

Lately, I wish I  could round up a few dozen scoutmasters to meet with the fine folks at National and take them out to the woodshed for misdirecting the program. They need a proper education understanding why words rarely change behavior without reinforcement of experience. The BSA has always been on the forefront for developing the habits of making right choices.. 

Barry

• Upvote 4

Latest update from a reliable source

1) Final merit badge requirements will be released tonight or tomorrow TO COUNCILS.

2) Will be announced end of the week TO PUBLIC.

3) What's holding up the process? "finalization of how merit badge counselors could be 'vetted' by local Council advancement committees/task forces." (only social justice warriors need apply?)

4) Expect to see the May 1 Eagle-mandatory pushed back to July 1.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, CynicalScouter said:

3) What's holding up the process? "finalization of how merit badge counselors could be 'vetted' by local Council advancement committees/task forces." (only social justice warriors need apply?)

Why would this badge have a different MBC vetting process?  I really, really hope this is not an issue.  

Edited by fred8033
4 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Why would this badge have a different MBC vetting process?  I really, really hope this is not an issue.  

You know exactly why special vetting is required. They want to be sure they are not handing this off to the "wrong" kind of MBC.

I suspect this will require outside or additional certification or clearance by a district or council DE&I "task force".

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, CynicalScouter said:

1 hour ago, CynicalScouter said:

I suspect this will require outside or additional certification or clearance by a district or council DE&I "task force".

Maybe the Council or district can get the local blm chapter or lgbtqxyz group to " vet" the mbc.  This wokeness will drive scouts, volunteers, and charter organizations away.  How much do you think the parents and churches will put up with.  Commence with the flaming and down votes. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, fred8033 said:

maybe because some leaders intend to  pencil whip (aka fake) the merit badge and disregard what BSA is trying to do.