DRAFT: DE&I merit badge requirements

2 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

I woild have liked to see the video to understand your comments..  Which "millionaires"?

Martin Luther King.  Morgan Freeman.  Lil'Waye.  etc, etc.    YouTube video "What the left won't tell you about the plight..."   It is right leaning, but the comments are reasonable, polite, concise and to the topic.

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the Scouting FB groups that had these requirements posted, took down the post and 153 (last time I looked) comments down and is asking folks to report anyone who does post them. Sounds Orw

Careful please. Don't mistake my views vs. those of others. As I said, I believe as a MBC I could work with this MB. I can also very much see/know/observe in the Reddit and Facebook groups and ev

Impossible.  ... We value making connections with our scouts.  To make connections, we talk.  Maybe a few can discuss this topic at the ideal concept level.  But most will bring their politics into it

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

The video was 100% on-topic.  Many people believe the DE&I badge is propaganda and can't be taught constructively without pulling in individuals personal political beliefs.   The video has 100% on-topic discussion topics.  Is race real?  Is it useful to discuss?  Where do the issues start?  How to work with police?

Removing that video is today's canceling culture and is censorship.

If you want this badge, we need the ability to discuss and debate the topics in the badge.

This is a private forum, not the government - or even "public.".  Censorshoip and discrimination does not violate "civil rights."

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

@MattR , I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I can see how you're not happy with it.

Yesterday there was a lot of really good discussion on this thread about how this MB wasn't going to work. I wake up this morning and there is suddenly a lot more posts that are starting to get heated. I'd rather see the good discussion. If there are points that the video makes that you want to bring up, go for it.

This country is tearing itself apart because most people can't talk about anything without jumping into personal insults. As for this MB, I don't like it because A) it's just school work and B) there are people here that are very much against it, so it won't work anyway. At the same time, a good friend of mine is black and there's some truth to a lot of what the black community is talking about. I don't think this MB will help but at the same time just saying follow the scout oath and law won't suffice either. I'm not sure what the answer is. But when a video comes along with the title along the lines of "what the left won't accept" I know it's not going to help move things forward.

Again, take the time to write up the points in your words, understanding that both sides are reading it, and I'd really interested in reading it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

This is a private forum, not the government - or even "public.".  Censorship and discrimination does not violate "civil rights."

Censorship can occur in any group and does not need government or a public forum.  Censorship is about blocking ideas.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, MattR said:

But when a video comes along with the title along the lines of "what the left won't accept" I know it's not going to help move things forward.

@MattR  On that point, I agree.  The video title does enter the realm of clickbait.  But the title does not diminish the importance and perspective of the thoughts, experiences, facts presented by, and advice of any of those it portrays.

5 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

@MattR  On that point, I agree.  The video title does enter the realm of clickbait.  But the title does not diminish the importance and perspective of the thoughts, experiences, facts presented by, and advice of any of those it portrays.

Title is bad.  Obviously right leaning.  But the content is well assembled and useful to the discussion.

Edited by fred8033
10 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Lol, I think you meant "right", brother :)

LOL ... You are right.  ... no pun intended ... For the longest time, I could not remember who was left or right.  A very conservative friend (to the point I try to avoid the discussions ... LOL) ... made a comment about California, calling it the left coast.  It's the only way I remember who is left and who is right.

Edited by fred8033
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Ironically, using the term in the context of her post is also bigotry.

@EagledadBarry, thank you.

What we really need is a Merit Badge that teaches classical disciplines of Logic and Rhetoric versus emotion and persuasion.

https://www.hillsdale.edu/hillsdale-blog/writers/logic-rhetoric-intellectual-self-defense/#:~:text=Logic and rhetoric are the,things differently%2C but not defenselessly.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 3

OK, I see the banned video addresses, among othe thing, stereotyping of Black males.  That was a topic Dr. King addressed many times and is a classic "social justice" issue.   It is "prejudice" per se, although opinions differ on why it takes place.  omedian So the video is not all one way.

It also addressed the system being "rigged."

It also discusses family structure as a cause of crime - a legitimate sociologic topic discussed in "Black cutkture" courses in universities - taugh by Black professors.

In the video, Morgan Freeeman, asks why relegate Black history to one month.  

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, TAHAWK said:

OK, I see the banned video addresses, among othe thing, stereotyping of Black males.  That was a topic Dr. King addressed many times and is a classic "social justice" issue.   It is "prejudice" per se, although opinions differ on why it takes place.  omedian So the video is not all one way.

The video is a compilation of interviews and speeches by prominent actors, performers, social activists, etc., and relates the experiences of those people with regards to whether "systemic racism" (see the MB requirements) exists, whether they experienced instances of it, what some of the facts are that people use to justify stereotypes, and appropriate response to perceived wrongs.  As @fred8033 said, the video itself is respectful of these people and their views.

@BamBam gave a perfect negative example of what the MB addresses with "Tell what more your unit can do to ensure anyone can participate regardless of their ability, ethnicity, faith, financial background, gender Identity, race, or sexual orientation. " in making a judgement about the validity of someones views and experiences based on their perception of the commenters' "financial background".  @BamBam is "hoist with his own petard"

Edited by InquisitiveScouter

It is not my place to teach or discuss any of these proposed requirements with anyone's child.  This is the responsibility of the PARENT OR GUARDIAN.  Therefore, if implemented, I will require one PARENT OR GUARDIAN of each Scout to become a MBC for this badge and teach their individual Scout.  This is such a powder keg how could anyone feel comfortable with teaching something like this to another persons child.  There are so many different political, societal, moral, etc. views that this would be impossible unless the goal is for everyone to think of things the same way, which would also be impossible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, tnmule20 said:

It is not my place to teach or discuss any of these proposed requirements with anyone's child.  This is the responsibility of the PARENT OR GUARDIAN.  Therefore, if implemented, I will require one PARENT OR GUARDIAN of each Scout to become a MBC for this badge and teach their individual Scout.  This is such a powder keg how could anyone feel comfortable with teaching something like this to another persons child.  There are so many different political, societal, moral, etc. views that this would be impossible unless the goal is for everyone to think of things the same way, which would also be impossible.

@CynicalScouter, I begin to see a way through this... I sign up as a Merit Badge Counselor for this badge.  I ask the parents to discuss all these topics and do any items with their Scout.  When they tell me it is complete, I sign off the badge.  I think I could do that ethically.  A Scout is Trustworthy!

• Upvote 1