DRAFT: DE&I merit badge requirements

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the Scouting FB groups that had these requirements posted, took down the post and 153 (last time I looked) comments down and is asking folks to report anyone who does post them. Sounds Orw

Careful please. Don't mistake my views vs. those of others. As I said, I believe as a MBC I could work with this MB. I can also very much see/know/observe in the Reddit and Facebook groups and ev

Impossible.  ... We value making connections with our scouts.  To make connections, we talk.  Maybe a few can discuss this topic at the ideal concept level.  But most will bring their politics into it

Posted Images

Would this be fodder for the presentation requirement in #5, or for #6?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/judge-rules-father-who-raped-daughter-can-receive-sex-change-on-taxpayer-dime

https://www.ohiocrimelaw.com/blog/2014/01/tax-dollars-pay-for-sex-change-for-inmate-really/

reductio ad absurdum

Edited by InquisitiveScouter

@InquisitiveScouter, thanks for the webinar. Very interesting in that there will be no pamphlet, just a digital guide for the counselor. My concerns are A) will it be maintained and B) will there be an archive of previous directives, guides, etc. I have personally seen how BSA has attempted to change history by ignoring facts. Best example was Dodgeball. At one point BSA was saying Dodgeball has never been an approved activity, despite it being an approved activity since at least 1922. Thankfully they removed that untruth from the FAQ.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I would never in a million take this merit badge on as a counselor ;)

Why? In all seriousness, this merit badge will happen. If you are concerned, then why not become your unit's MBC for it so you can approve it in a way you are comfortable with, including that video?

Or if you truly object to the merit badge, pencilwhip the scouts through it and be done with it?

Edited by CynicalScouter
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

This is the video I would share as a MBC:

All I can say is just wow. Comments like this is why the merit badge is needed. You choose the views of millionaires to say what is wrong with Black Americans.They are so removed from the plight of everyday Black Americans.  Sorry. That doesn't fly. Attitudes like this is... Nevermind let me keep the rest of my thoughts to myself.

Edited by MattR
media not allowed
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2
55 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Why? In all seriousness, this merit badge will happen. If you are concerned, then why not become your unit's MBC for it?

Because of the inherent political agenda of the entire enterprise, and the misguided intent with which it has been established.

I will not indoctrinate Scouts into the language and mindset of "social justice warriors".  Nor will I tread on territory I deem sacrosanct to parents.

Over the past few weeks, I have been deep in research and thought, prayer, and in discussion with conservatives and liberals whose opinions I value.  This may be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and ushers me out the door of the Boy Scouts of America.  Although I have a fundamental belief that our American youth are not being encultured to value who we are as a country (warts and all), and have sought to take personal action to remedy that through my years of participation in and service to Scouting, I find as those years have gone by, the BSA establishment and I have been on a divergent path.

I do find many kindred spirits at the grass roots level...in the units, which gives me validation and hope.  But my usefulness at the "institutional level" seems to be drawing rapidly near its end.

I have made a commitment to serve as Scoutmaster for the next six months.  My son just completed his Board of Review for Eagle Scout.  My daughter will complete hers in January.  The timing is perfect, and almost seems ordained ;)

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 4
10 minutes ago, BamBam said:

You choose the views of millionaires to say what is wrong with Black Americans.They are so removed from the plight of everyday Black Americans. 

Your statement could not be more prejudiced, bigoted, racist, and classist.  And this merit badge will never help you see yourself in the mirror.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Because of the inherent political agenda of the entire enterprise, and the misguided intent with which it has been established.

OK, but the scouts are going to be forced to take this MB (well, at least those seeking Eagle). And that's in addition to the forthcoming rank requirements concerning DE&I which national has said are coming.

If you are worried, why not try and lessen it? Or pencilwhip the scouts through?

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, BamBam said:

All I can say is just wow. Comments like this is why the merit badge is needed. You choose the views of millionaires to say what is wrong with Black Americans.They are so removed from the plight of everyday Black Americans.  Sorry. That doesn't fly. Attitudes like this is... Nevermind let me keep the rest of my thoughts to myself.

Two sided discussion is important.  This badge can not sit in a one-sided political vacuum.  

The issues raised here really reflect that we've failed to teach "civics" as a school topic and "civility" as a social need.  We need to be able to discuss these topics.  That means that videos like about should be discussed without people getting upset and irate at each other.  Welcome to the D,E&I (pronounced deny) badge.

Edited by fred8033
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1