DRAFT: DE&I merit badge requirements

41 minutes ago, JoeBob said:

I fear that the DEI MB will make the situation worse.  

The racists will use DEI to reinforce their position: "Even the Boy Scouts are preaching the BLM propaganda!"

The liberals will rejoice: "See!  We were right.  BSA admits to toxic masculinity!  Nah, nah, nah nah-nah." 

Those in the middle trying to keep an open mind, which I hope includes most scouts, will keep their mouths shut; while their private thoughts gravitate towards the side with the most concrete examples.  

While the high-minded fantasies celebrate, the divide grows underneath .

Understatement.

And it is not just racists who have issues with the DEI MB. We have lost some Scouts who families are LEOs because of national's BLM statement. And from posts on FB, it appears BSA is coordinating with BLM on this MB. I wonder how many Explorer posts have been lost as a result. I found out the local one is ceasing to exist. Do not know why, but they were extremely active. Now when I go to their site, it is all a different  youth program.

As for "most scouts, will keep their mouths shut," it is already happening in academia and business. I was diversity trainer, sat on the diversity committee, organized diversity activities, etc.  But I soon was replaced because instead of teaching about differences, I was teaching about how we are all the same. I talked about building relationships with those who were not like us through communication. sadly some folks believe if you do not agree 100% with them, you are the enemy, and will treat you like such.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the Scouting FB groups that had these requirements posted, took down the post and 153 (last time I looked) comments down and is asking folks to report anyone who does post them. Sounds Orw

Careful please. Don't mistake my views vs. those of others. As I said, I believe as a MBC I could work with this MB. I can also very much see/know/observe in the Reddit and Facebook groups and ev

Impossible.  ... We value making connections with our scouts.  To make connections, we talk.  Maybe a few can discuss this topic at the ideal concept level.  But most will bring their politics into it

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

But I soon was replaced because instead of teaching about differences, I was teaching about how we are all the same. I talked about building relationships with those who were not like us through communication. sadly some folks believe if you do not agree 100% with them, you are the enemy, and will treat you like such.

Shame on you for trying to promote peace and harmony based on the commonalities of our human condition!  Back to the education camp with you!  You may return when you promote tribalism and identity politics veiled in terms like "diversity, " "equity," and "inclusion." ;)

https://medium.com/@samuelkronen/modern-tribalism-and-the-danger-of-identity-politics-33150fd257f2

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jordan-peterson-when-the-left-goes-too-far-the-dangerous-doctrine-of-equity

https://www.jordanbpeterson.com/blog-posts/lie-of-diversity/

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
31 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

And it is not just racists who have issues with the DEI MB. We have lost some Scouts who families are LEOs because of national's BLM statement

I recall that after that BSA National statement came out that the Exploring program had to come out with a "we didn't really mean it" statement or else lose their LEO Explorer posts.

https://etac.ihubapp.org/posts/54906/important-message-from-the-national-director-of-exploring

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, CynicalScouter said:

I recall that after that BSA National statement came out that the Exploring program had to come out with a "we didn't really mean it" statement or else lose their LEO Explorer posts.

Where was that one?  Do you have a link?  All we saw was this...

https://scoutingwire.org/bsas-commitment-to-act-against-racial-injustice/

2 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Where was that one?  Do you have a link?  All we saw was this...

https://scoutingwire.org/bsas-commitment-to-act-against-racial-injustice/

It circulated as an email.

I found it here from a Council website https://etac.ihubapp.org/posts/54906/important-message-from-the-national-director-of-exploring

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, fred8033 said:

Because pushing this badge is offensive.

Without knowing what the definitions are of diversity, equity, inclusion, and bigotry,  you call this offensive.  Why?  Why are these principles offensive?  

or are there other specific parts of the draft requirements that are offensive?  

Here's my proposal for a merit badge that might be more scout like (I.e., more doing and less talking). I realize this will never happen.

Culture Shock Merit Badge.

1) with a parent, identify a family having a different cultural background than your own. This can be language, cultural heritage, economics, urban vs rural, disability or anything else that you've never been around.  This family must also have children your age.

A) live with this family for a bare minimum of 3 months. 6 months would be better and a year would be ideal. You must go to the same school as the children in the family, participate in their religious practices, go on any vacations with them. For the first month you are not to contact your family or your friends. You must have another adult that you meet with weekly and can contact at any time with any problems you are having.

B) keep a journal that you write in at least weekly. Describe challenges you have and differences in how your host family does things compared to your family. Describe things that are better, worse and just different from what you are used to.

2) after completing req 1) review your journal with your counselor.

3) make a presentation to your troop about your experience.

4) make a first aid kit, because there is always a first aid requirement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Navybone said:

Without knowing what the definitions are of diversity, equity, inclusion, and bigotry,  you call this offensive.  Why?  Why are these principles offensive?  

or are there other specific parts of the draft requirements that are offensive?  

Because we are continually working with our scouts teaching how to work with each other, be respectful, etc.  It's what the whole scouting program is about.  Scout Law and Oath.  But we do it thru activities and the necessity of working with each other.

image.png.e44493ea914c6519e3d6718ee8f97d71.png

I think @CynicalScouter had a great response above.  But even more, it's offensive because I'm not sure I want to trust my scout to joe-blow MBC to get their view on diversity.  

Edited by fred8033
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

"(CNN)In a statement released in support of Black Lives Matter, the Boy Scouts of America said it will require Eagle Scouts to earn a diversity and inclusion badge. It'll examine its own role in perpetuating racism, too.

The organization, which also condemned the deaths of George FloydAhmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor, said it "has not been as brave as we should have been" when it comes to calling out racism.

"The Boy Scouts of America stands with Black families and the Black community because we believe that Black Lives Matter," the organization said in a letter on Scoutingwire, the organization's official blog. "This is not a political issue; it is a human rights issue and one we all have a duty to address."

Now, scouts must earn a diversity and inclusion merit badge to achieve the rank of Eagle Scout, the highest rank in the Boy Scouts program. The new badge will build on existing programs that require scouts to "engage with other groups and cultures."

https://youtu.be/Pyhy4IvkENg

I'm looking forward to seeing the look in the 11 year old face when you ask "what do you think about intersectionality?"  They answer...is that like a 4 way stop at an intersection?

C'mon man admit it!    Everyone one of us had to look that up to see what the heck the BSA was talking about.   

• Haha 3

Likely, BSA has no more idea what they mean by "intersectionality" than it knows the difference between the Marxist, anti-capitalism, abolish the police , laws, jails, and courts political party Black Lives Matter and  the concept that "black lives matter."   It just sounds "woke. to folks in a panic to seem "woke."

• Upvote 4
27 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

One of the Scouting FB groups that had these requirements posted, took down the post and 153 (last time I looked) comments down and is asking folks to report anyone who does post them.

This is what happens when you only circulate for comment to SEs for input.

They are backtracking as fast as they can.

27 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

And considering that the requirements have not been approved 11 days before go live

This for me is the biggest shock (although I shouldn't be shocked). 10 days to launch. Middle of the Christmas/New Year weeks. And nothing is out yet? And they think they can ram and jam something fast enough?

I'm sure they can, but it will be a mess.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Here is a National Office Hours video put out recently...

Discusses DE&I requirements and says they are already approved (and that was 12 Nov.)

Scouts may start earning the badge on 01 Jan, required to earn for Eagle on 01 May.

Also notes that there will be no pamphlet, just Notes for the Counselor. (Can't find those yet.)

Also says there will be rank requirements for Scout through First Class.  Rank requirements will not be in Scoutbook until 01 May.

https://scouting-org.zoom.us/rec/play/p2Uq0xy0QJ9DAOZf1mIK2AKqCPaI-sCDyhQ8XSF1ToF-3PRz6i7nykYtnGe1nuIea6nyz57NNl2lOtmS.P95iGTFSGTTs1iPe

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2