New Uniform Shirt w/ BSA logo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They didn't ask me, but I wished they would have gone back to the short lived "Scout BSA" strip from the '70s. Change Scout to Scouts, but keep it small and tidy. 

Agree 100%  - each uniform material has it's place and a contingent of folks who like them. Myself, my favorite uniform is the venturing nylon ones.  I wish the BSA would produce a tan version of

And every different garment visible from some feet away: no "uniform."

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I looked at the new shirt. I was warned that buying my Scout the next size up wouldn’t work because they are running small. His next size option is in the men’s small and it looked like the shirt tail would drag the ground on the guy. Maybe I can locate a copy of the discontinued version for him.   To me its funny, when I was a Scout I loved my uniform. We actual kept ours on for the camping trips. The kids in this troop just hate the uniform. If they designed their own I bet it would look like a soccer uniform.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 7:10 PM, clivusmultrum said:

I looked at the new shirt. I was warned that buying my Scout the next size up wouldn’t work because they are running small. His next size option is in the men’s small and it looked like the shirt tail would drag the ground on the guy. 

Agree on them running small- I’m usually somewhere between a small and a medium, and the small was tiny through the chest.

My cynical theory is that the change in the organization name tape to the “BSA” embroidery is so that you can just cover it up with a patch for a post-bankruptcy successor organization. 

Still like the shirt though. 

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 8:10 PM, clivusmultrum said:

To me its funny, when I was a Scout I loved my uniform. We actual kept ours on for the camping trips. The kids in this troop just hate the uniform. If they designed their own I bet it would look like a soccer uniform.

I didn't like it even as a kid. And it has never been all that practical for camping. Especially the Cub uniforms with the Webelos colors hanging off the sleeve, the pins, etc. I hear local leaders refer to it as a field uniform, but that's a hard argument to make anymore when there is much more practical field attire for camping, hiking, etc. More light-weight, breathable, comfortable stuff that anyone would prefer to wear.

I think the BSA has tried to evolve the shirt into more of a field-style shirt. Maybe we're just a few more revisions away from something the kids will actually like.

The uniform has its place and purpose, and I wear it (and ask my scouts to do the same) where required. But as a general rule, I take the summer camp approach: Running around all day, dress comfortably. For less active events, flags, dinner, etc., the uniform should be worn.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:46 AM, BlueandSilverBear said:

My cynical theory is that the change in the organization name tape to the “BSA” embroidery is so that you can just cover it up with a patch for a post-bankruptcy successor organization. 

I assume this would be a joke. I have seen some bankruptcy org names 3 card montie. The new org is called something like Boy Scouts of America Reborn (BSAR). Then they rename the old BSA Old (BSAO). Then the rename the new org Boy Scouts of America. Then they get to have the new org have the old name. 

On 3/28/2021 at 3:57 PM, BlueandSilverBear said:

I went with the latest version of the uniform shirt (with my late-90's CSP and early-00's lodge flap from when I was a scout).  It's comfortable and looks pretty sharp. 

11908872_image0(2).thumb.jpeg.ee0acc42418d5e5969745428f54237ef.jpeg

I used my REI member coupon on a pair of the Sahara convertible pants in "army cot green."

Good to see another uniform with blue epaulets and a lodge flap. Not a common sight around here. 😄

• Upvote 1

Ha! When I was getting my brotherhood honor, I was the only Scouter wearing blue loops at the entire two-day event (which was council wide). And thus my nickname to a great many OA members, to this day, is "Blue Loops." 💙

I wear silver loops on my epaulets now since I am on the district committee, but I still miss my blue loops. If you ask me, Blue Loops have the most fun. 😄

• Upvote 2
On 5/1/2021 at 6:10 PM, clivusmultrum said:

The kids in this troop just hate the uniform. If they designed their own I bet it would look like a soccer uniform.

Maybe they're right. A jersey would make a lot more sense to me.

Let the scouts decide. 

1 hour ago, MattR said:

Maybe they're right. A jersey would make a lot more sense to me.

Let the scouts decide. 

That is something I agree with. The uniform today I think is more for nostalgic adults than the kids. It should be a survey question. It's the only activity I can think of other than marching band where I hear kids regularly complain about discomfort. They are basically still wearing what an old British guy -- a Lord no less -- wore in 1910.

• 1 month later...

Update, picked up a new shirt in small, and can confirm it does run small! Replaced with a Meduim for a better fit. Seems to be a good material, hopefully will last for many years as I begin the scout trail with my Lion! 

• Upvote 1