New Uniform Shirt w/ BSA logo

13 hours ago, BlueandSilverBear said:

Are these the current uniform pants?

https://www.scoutshop.org/new-uniforms/leaders/scouts-bsa-men-s-uniform-switchback-pant-olive-28-52.html

I'm formally registering as an adult leader and plan to have a uniform ready for when my Lion puts on the Cub Scout uniform.

Yes, and official pants come in three different materials, each with advantages and disadvantages, as @KYScouterbegins to point out.

Canvas, polyester microfiber, and polyester/wool blend are your choices.  Each material has its devotees.

I am a devotee of polyester microfiber.  Light, quick dry, converts to shorts, cargo pockets, does not fade as quickly as the canvas stuff.  Disadvantages of poly microfiber?  Wind whistles right through it in winter (you need good under-layers), it snags on brush and threads get pulled out (canvas is more heavy-duty), and even small sparks from the fire burn right through.

Enjoy the adventure!

• Like 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They didn't ask me, but I wished they would have gone back to the short lived "Scout BSA" strip from the '70s. Change Scout to Scouts, but keep it small and tidy. 

Agree 100%  - each uniform material has it's place and a contingent of folks who like them. Myself, my favorite uniform is the venturing nylon ones.  I wish the BSA would produce a tan version of

And every different garment visible from some feet away: no "uniform."

Posted Images

6 hours ago, TAHAWK said:

patrol medallion

position patch ?

troop numerals

rank patch

event patch (temprary insignia)

shulder loops?

council patch

international patch

possibly plus  2-3 more patches

BLING!

knots, interpreter strip, service stars, trail and other medals, jamboree patches, honor patrol stars, troop veteran number strips, OA flap, Powderhorn emblem, JTE patch, Trained emblem, Emergency Preparedness pins (retiring)...

Now we are talking, BLING!!

But wait!!!  Doesn't the G2AI say

"Excess Insignia With the exception of the Cub Scout badges of rank, members wear only the insignia that show their present status in the movement. Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered." (emphasis added)

And didn't BP say,

"A Scout should not use a showy uniform, because it would attract attention; but Scouts in a patrol, should as far as possible, dress alike, especially as regards hats, or caps, and neckerchief."

Hmmmm.... Scout Life magazine...

https://scoutlife.org/about-scouts/scouting-around/164940/is-there-life-after-earning-eagle-scout/

keeplearning.jpg

4 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Yes, and official pants come in three different materials, each with advantages and disadvantages, as @KYScouterbegins to point out.

Canvas, polyester microfiber, and polyester/wool blend are your choices.  Each material has its devotees. ...

And every different garment visible from some feet away: no "uniform."

• Upvote 2

Love the new shirts. I kind need a new one, not urgent but with these new options available I'll definitely go for one of these.

But I'll never do the official pants. Can't stand them. I get similar green-color 5.11 pants.

6 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Canvas, polyester microfiber, and polyester/wool blend are your choices.  Each material has its devotees.

I am a devotee of polyester microfiber.  Light, quick dry, converts to shorts, cargo pockets, does not fade as quickly as the canvas stuff.  Disadvantages of poly microfiber?  Wind whistles right through it in winter (you need good under-layers), it snags on brush and threads get pulled out (canvas is more heavy-duty), and even small sparks from the fire burn right through.

Enjoy the adventure!

Agree 100%  - each uniform material has it's place and a contingent of folks who like them.

Myself, my favorite uniform is the venturing nylon ones.  I wish the BSA would produce a tan version of those.  They are light, comfy, and keep up pretty well.

My outdoor uniform is canvas.  My son had the microfiber ones and I never liked how they aged.  I thought that they look nice at first, but given a couple of years they start to look "soft" and.

I've got a poly/wool uniform too.  I like the look of it, but it's not rot really an outdoor uniform.   You buy dress slacks to do with that shirt, which won't hold up well camping.  I put this one as a uniform for folks who don't mind acquiring a variety of uniforms for different purposes.  

Edited by ParkMan
clarified a thought
  • Upvote 3

Thanks, everyone- this is all good feedback.  Coming from a military background I want to have a squared away uniform, but with three different pants it sounds like it's almost anything goes.  I'm still young-ish and fit, and the baggy looking pants kind of drive me crazy considering my scout days pre-dated all of these.  I may just go with a pair of OD green Prana or Kuhl hiking pants.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, BlueandSilverBear said:

Thanks, everyone- this is all good feedback.  Coming from a military background I want to have a squared away uniform, but with three different pants it sounds like it's almost anything goes.  I'm still young-ish and fit, and the baggy looking pants kind of drive me crazy considering my scout days pre-dated all of these.  I may just go with a pair of OD green Prana or Kuhl hiking pants.

FWIW - It's not so much that it's anything goes.  There is one set of pants that goes with each uniform shirt.

• Microfiber shirt - you purchase microfiber pants
  • Canvas shirt - you purchase canvas pants
  • Poly/wool shirt - you purchase poly/wool pants.

Though I am sure that you technically can mix the materials, I almost never see that in reality.

1 hour ago, ParkMan said:

FWIW - It's not so much that it's anything goes.  There is one set of pants that goes with each uniform shirt.

Though I am sure that you technically can mix the materials, I almost never see that in reality.

I do see microfiber shirts with canvas pants a lot around here....

23 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

I assume you are talking about the poly wool pants? Boy Scout Men's Polyester Pants | Boy Scouts of America (scoutshop.org)

Yes, you are correct - sorry to have been vague.  The poly wool pants of link to look nice and go with the poly wool shirt: Scouts BSA Polyester Wool Uniform Short Sleeve Shirt, Men's

I'm happy I purchased a set, but I don't take them to camp.

7 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

I'm happy I purchased a set, but I don't take them to camp.

I wish it was more of an "LL Bean" wool shirt and pants. Then it would look nice and do pretty well at camp. 😞 But as you point out, they are wool as in fine wool suit.

7 hours ago, ParkMan said:

Perhaps it's merely another personal, sartorial idiosyncrasy, but I like contrasting textures and materials when I dress, and mixing the different fabric options available allows me to add a personal touch to my ensemble while still maintaining complete conformity to uniform policy and regulation. My shirts are long sleeved, but generally I have them rolled all the way up, and of course my bottoms are all switch-backs for the rare occasion on which I desire or need long pants (although the poor zip-away bottoms are a few shades darker than the shorts themselves since they only see a tithe of the use and thus only need a fraction of the washing). 

So far I have never had any part of my Scout uniform wear out from use (though as we all know, I avoid real camping and outdoor action as much as I can). I opt for the durable canvas blend for my shirts, but will only wear shorts made of the lightest microfiber materials available (and with the closest fit; I hate baggy shorts). Both fabrics have proven durable and comfortable. And as we are located right on the coast, all one needs to warm up in chilly weather is the occasional good thick sweater, and even then only on the coldest nights- daytimes here are already up in the 80's. At least in our region, layering is far more important and effective in ensuring comfort than fabric selection alone.

• Upvote 2
  • 5 weeks later...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/pxKQTGo.png[/img]

"This is an official uniform shirt option for Scouts BSA. It is designed to stay polished looking and comfortable for every adventure! This uniform shirt features the new BSA logo above the front right chest pocket."

SCOURCE: SCOUTSHOP.ORG

if you prefer conventional button treatment, it is available in six other distinct optional shirts with the BSA brand, five of which are called "uniform."