New Uniform Shirt w/ BSA logo

Next fall, (considering the BSA survives the bankruptcy , which I do believe it will) I'll be signing up with my son for his first year of Scouting! To say I'm excited about sharing this program with him would be an understatement! 

Just looked online and see there's a new uniform shirt. https://www.scoutshop.org/new-uniforms/leaders/scouts-bsa-men-s-uniform-short-sleeve-shirt-khaki-s-4x.html 

shirt.jpg.0600857899f2201257a1f108f640f26f.jpg

Does anyone have this, any reviews? I have a couple of centennial uniforms that I remember buying back in '08 at the BSA All Hands conference in Nashville. They served me well for years and still may. However, I will probably upgade to be more current. 

Thanks

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They didn't ask me, but I wished they would have gone back to the short lived "Scout BSA" strip from the '70s. Change Scout to Scouts, but keep it small and tidy. 

Agree 100%  - each uniform material has it's place and a contingent of folks who like them. Myself, my favorite uniform is the venturing nylon ones.  I wish the BSA would produce a tan version of

And every different garment visible from some feet away: no "uniform."

Posted Images

My concern is durability. The new uniform shirts are OK. Pants on the other hand, not so much. I had to return a pair of 3 month old pants, and with some difficulty. I had to remind the clerk of the lifetime warranty on them, and then that I had no  issues contacting Charlotte about the issue. Second pair lasted a bit longer, 5 years. I am still wearing pants and shorts from the 1990s from when I worked in supply and had to wear the uniform 5-7 days a week, depending upon the time of year.

• Upvote 1

I have seen them in person at our local Scout Shop. The material is a nice lightweight fabric (here in southern California, we invariably prefer the light-weight materials that wick away sweat and keep us cool during our perpetual summer (last week it hit 89 degrees outside!), and the design is simple, plain, and unobtrusive. Those with an eye towards simplicity will appreciate it. It's very straight-forward, and as has been mentioned here, it seems they have eliminated all the bells and whistles of some earlier designs.

I myself like all the extra pockets and flaps and buttons on earlier versions, but I know many people didn't, and so this model should please them. However, I personally cannot STAND the placard installed in front of the buttons on this version. Why on earth did they add that? In my eyes, it makes the shirt too plain, even boring, and unless it's well-maintained it could eventually  wind up looking pretty ragged as it ages. 

But then, that's the wonderful thing about our uniform policy. With each new version of the uniform there is simply another variation of fabrics, materials and patterns to choose from, so that every individual is bound to find a size and shape that suits them best if they put in the effort. My personal favorite so far is the thick canvas poplin blend that came out in 2010 with the long sleeves; it's a good, durable fabric that should last a good long time, and it fits be perfectly. Not only that, but I always wear my sleeves rolled all the way up, and this version has nice little tabs I can use to button them up and keep them in place during activities. 

But back to this new model - nice, light-weight, very plain and unassuming. Not sure about its durability, but if you want a plain, unadorned shirt, this is a good fit.

• Upvote 1

I would just like to see the clothing be cut appropriately for real people.  The last 10-20 years at least whoever is designing these things has done a terrible job of outfitting anyone outside the "not-so-standard" bean-pole body shape.  My son wasn't able to fit into the right size youth scout pants after age 9 because he actually had leg muscles and couldn't get the pants up past his thighs.  And clearly the designers took the approach of just using a straight percentage size increase for adult sizes over large resulting in shirts for overweight people that made them look like flying squirrels and pants options that required either sizing them for your hips and having a beer gut overhang with a webbed crotch or wearing them sized for the larger waist and looking like you are a kid trying to wear your dad's pants.

On 12/17/2020 at 12:03 AM, mashmaster said:

I like how Sea Scouts do uniforms.  I get a 5.11 tactical shirt, sew on patches and ready to go.  The shirt is really comfortable.

That is such a neat and simple way to go. You can get them at a million places and get fancy 5.11 versions or less expensive versions. It is up to the end user. 

• Upvote 1
On 12/18/2020 at 7:49 AM, elitts said:

The last 10-20 years at least whoever is designing these things has done a terrible job of outfitting anyone outside the "not-so-standard" bean-pole body shape. 

That is the biggest complain I have heard on the new shirts. Our commissioner said he got 1 size up (via mail order) due to hearing they ran small. He had to get 2 sizes up vs. his current uniform shirt. 

Not just the shirts either.  I got 2 pairs of gen 1 Switchbacks, the ones with the zipper at the ankle. I was told they were sized big, so I ordered 2 pairs of the XL, my normal size, and the L, one size smaller. Not only were the XLs way too big, but if it wasn't for the built in belt the Ls would be to big too. Because I bought them at the local distributor on clearance, I could not return them. Thankfully I sold the XLs.

I have one of the current Venturing Shirts in Medium, and it fits perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 10:20 AM, fred8033 said:

I like how simple it looks.  I'm just concerned how much individual bling will need to be added.  World scouter crest.  Other items.  But that's me.  I like simple and functional ahead of flashy and decorative.

patrol medallion

position patch ?

troop numerals

rank patch

event patch (temprary insignia)

shulder loops?

council patch

international patch

possibly plus  2-3 more patches

BLING!