Model PLC video for scouts AND SMs

A followup. Fortunately this is not my troop, but the "feeder" troop for my son's former pack.

In short, the old SM for my old pack's "feeder" troop left due to a work change in March. At crossover, the pack's CM was in effect drafted into being the new SM (none of the ASM wanted it). He was browbeaten into it. He's a really, really nice guy and can't so no. A real servants heart.

Here's the problem: he's taken over the PLC completely. It's Cubmaster 2.0 from what I am told. He directs the PLs and SPL the way he would direct cub scouts to do things. He has NO frame of reference, NOTHING to see or observe (again, he just crossed over with his son 30-60 days ago). Now everyone is running scared: it would be rude to force him out and frankly it isn't clear if any ASM would step up.

Is there ANY recording, ANY documents, ANYTHING to show the role of a SM in a PLC? Thanks.

8 hours ago, CynicalScouter said:

s there ANY recording, ANY documents, ANYTHING to show the role of a SM in a PLC? Thanks.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this before now, but if you go on the my.scouting training portal, there is a training unit and video, as I recall about 10 minutes long, specifically showing how a PLC is run by the SPL with the Scoutmaster to the side observing or asking questions.  I happened to notice it when renewing my YPT last year and watched it, and it was actually pretty good.

I just double checked it's called "Patrol Leaders Council Meeting SCO-477."

There are a bunch of related videos on Patrol Method, boy-led, etc.  Definitely something a new Scoutmaster crossing over from Cubs should watch.

MG

On 5/7/2021 at 1:36 PM, CynicalScouter said:

Is there ANY recording, ANY documents, ANYTHING to show the role of a SM in a PLC? Thanks.

https://troopleader.scouting.org/patrol-leaders-council/#:~:text=In addition to making sure,run by its youth members.

In addition to making sure the rules of the BSA are followed and being a good mentor and positive role model, a key role of the Scoutmaster is to make sure the Patrol Leaders’ Council is equipped with  the necessary tools and skills so they can run the troop. A strong, well-functioning troop is run by its youth members. 

At our monthly PLC meeting I usually just inform/remind the SPL of any upcoming events on the troop calendar then get out of the way and let him do his thing.  I'm at a nearby table listening to the meeting while doing other things,  and am of course available should the PLC have any questions or want my input.