Model PLC video for scouts AND SMs

One of the biggest challenges I've seen has been that BSA puts out TONS of documents and slides and such, but the one thing I've not seen is what any of these activities should look like in practice and especially the PLC. This is critical I think for two reasons.

1) It lets the SM and ASMs know what their role really looks like. I've seen PLCs where the SM effectively drives the meeting and hands out assignments. That was also the same SM that would constantly complain that the scouts were always coming to him with questions. I've also seen PLCs where the SM acts in what I think (IMHO) is the appropriate manner which is to sit there and be available and maybe ask a question but otherwise not chime in (except at the end for a SM minute).

2) It lets the SPL/ASPL know what is expected of them. They may know the way their troop has done it, but that's not necessarily consistent with what the patrol method is supposed to be.

I know recording minors and is a huge hassle and liability, but does anyone know/can anyone think of a video of the way it "should" be?

videos could use "actors" to model a meeting.

As to the types you describe with the latter, often it is viewed as the SM just sits there. What is necessary for the SPL/PLC to have full control like that is continuous personal SM conferences with the PLs and  SPL about how they are progressing. The feedback and growth during these conferences cannot be understated. IMO this is the most significant area of growth for most SMs... to provide the structure for continuous SM conferences. Before and after every meeting, activity, etc... They must NOT be done as a group, but as a personal SM conference (following YPT protocols).

• 3 weeks later...

We did videos on Boards of Review back when Scouts were trusted to do thm. We were lucky o have a day with years in community theater as a director. Still, it was trial and error.  The "final" version proved not to be as good as the fourth "final" - "Thorns and Roses.  The bad example, with the victim slding under the table and putting up a small whote flag was well reveived.  It made the "roses" part more understandable.  In a year, BSA decided adults must do it.  Turns out, we needed to show the adults the same video.  

Why didn''t we do a PLC?  Should have.   We used to invite Scouts and Scouters from other troops to watch our PLC meetings.  Many of the Scouters were amazed to see the SPL run the meeting, and they questioned it in meeting with us after the PLC.  "Isn't it mean to expect a kid to carry so much responsibility?"

As noted above, a big part of SPL development and success is ongoing counciling and coaching from the SM - indirect leadership  There is some "charisma" involved in successful leadership but also some quite teachable skills.  

• Upvote 3

My personal thought is the SPL and SM need to work together in private a couple times a month. SM spouse and one of SPLs parents should be there for the adult safety issues, but the relationship between these two is what drives the entire PLC process. 

in addition, the PLC at Wood Badge needs to be dumped. It has NO decision making ability, It’s a tasking meeting. A real PLC makes decisions. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 12/9/2020 at 11:23 AM, DuctTape said:

videos could use "actors" to model a meeting

I'd rather see real plc meetings, including the screwing around and the sm giving the spl a hand signal to his watch. Can't they just bleep out names or ask them to use stage names? I also like the idea of staging meetings that go wrong. I did a training session like that where each scout was given a role to play, over eager, helpful, complainer, etc. The scouts really enjoyed it. They also asked to be the negative scout, if there was one. That's an easy one to have fun with.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, MattR said:

Can't they just bleep out names or ask them to use stage names?

They could even not use names at all or even use real names. The sticking points are a) finding a "good" PLC meeting and b) getting parental consent from all youth participants.

BSA has an entire video collection of showing scout skills, "Putting Skills Into Action" but NONE that show a full PLC meeting.

https://troopleader.scouting.org/putting-skills-into-action/

EDIT: I would also say this: the person who needs this kind of video more than any SPL is the newly minted SM. If the adult doesn't know, how can they possibly work with the SPL (or back the heck off) and not turn it into adult-run, adult-led.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 3
20 hours ago, John-in-KC said:

My personal thought is the SPL and SM need to work together in private a couple times a month. SM spouse and one of SPLs parents should be there for the adult safety issues, but the relationship between these two is what drives the entire PLC process. 

in addition, the PLC at Wood Badge needs to be dumped. It has NO decision making ability, It’s a tasking meeting. A real PLC makes decisions. 

Yes. This is one of many imperfect lost- in- translation aspects in Wood Badge. There are Wood Badge graduates who fail to realize as participants they are living a youth role, and so is most of the staff. NYLT's a little stronger in the way that it's more obvious who's in the staff is a Youth POR vs an Adult role. But NYLT's PLC's suffer from the same issues as Wood Badge. It'd be better to have a scripted mock PLC to demonstrate, and then stop calling the daily progress/tasking meetings "PLCs."

My best success is to rely on older more experienced scouts or recent scouters to help guide them early in their position.  I typically have conversations with my Boatswain (SPL) the day before the meeting about what the plan for the meeting is.  Our Boatswain has taken the initiative to hold weekly meetings with our Quarterdeck (PLC) over discord.  It is amazing when then work together.

Sadly I know of no PLC videos.  

We need more videos like this one 🙂  

On 1/1/2021 at 10:09 PM, John-in-KC said:

I'd have to agree. There is zero decision space by the PLC, or the staff, for most of the activities, locations, and who is leading them.

18 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

There are Wood Badge graduates who fail to realize as participants they are living a youth role, and so is most of the staff. 

My Wood Badge course (2019) could have benefited from acting more like a troop. I still felt the staff / senior staff / participate gaps too much. 

On 1/2/2021 at 7:07 PM, Sentinel947 said:

There are Wood Badge graduates who fail to realize as participants they are living a youth role, and so is most of the staff.

Sorry, I disagree. I rejected the call to be a youth again.  I earned the right to be an adult, with sweat, tears, and blood.  Innocent as I was at 14?  I think not.  That’s why I was so ticked off at “Win All You Can.”  I’d seen friends go to very bad places because of that mentality in the real world. When a 20 year old tried to tell us to be kids again, we told him to shove it where the sun doesn’t shine. Clearly, he had not had his “oh, shit” moment in life yet. 

Operate on the basis we are adults, please. 

• Upvote 1

SPL called me every Sunday night to discuss the next meeting agenda. Now in our case, the PLC met before the troop meeting each week, but I think the SPL can still brief the SM on the troop meeting agenda. But, this is where we could have some good discussions.

I don't think the NYLT does a good job either.

Before NYLT, our council course created PLCs with the participants instead of Patrols. Each PLC planned two meeting agendas each day and took turns running the course program each day. The course was a basically PLC practices and methods instead of Patrol Method. I don't know of any course now where the participants plan and run the course agenda like a PLC runs the troop.

Barry

15 hours ago, John-in-KC said:

Sorry, I disagree. I rejected the call to be a youth again.  I earned the right to be an adult, with sweat, tears, and blood.  Innocent as I was at 14?  I think not.  That’s why I was so ticked off at “Win All You Can.”  I’d seen friends go to very bad places because of that mentality in the real world. When a 20 year old tried to tell us to be kids again, we told him to shove it where the sun doesn’t shine. Clearly, he had not had his “oh, shit” moment in life yet. 

Operate on the basis we are adults, please. 

That might be your experience with it, but rather than reject it, plenty of participants are unaware that the program is trying to make them role-play as Scouts. They come out of Wood Badge and think Adults are supposed to be acting they way their patrols and Troop Guides did in wood badge, when those are "youth" roles. 

I don't disagree with you, I don't think the role-playing aspects of Wood Badge have much value. But that doesn't change that people graduate from the program and don't recognize what they experienced.