Significant Cultural Changes are Coming Soon

13 hours ago, Owls_are_cool said:

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise? Maybe it is a chance for my Troop to get back to basics? Less meetings and more doing stuff outdoors? Camping, hiking, fishing, shooting, service projects. 

This is why I want my sons in scouting.  Value statement with outdoor activities.  Hike.  Camp.  Swim.  Bike.  Some of my best memories are seeing my sons outside with his friends doing things.  This is a HUGE OPPORTUNITY for scouting.  Break the reputation of stuffy, boring mtgs, etc.  Get back to DOING THINGS.  

How about measuring unit quality by a simple ratio:  Mtgs to Activities.  Mtgs are indoor, planning, coordination, training, merit badges.   Activities are movement, doing things, biking, hiking, camp fires, volleyball, swimming, exploring, etc.   A goal could be 1-to-1.  My first son's troop was close to 1-to-1.  Great experience.  My 2nd son had 1.5-to-1 or 2-to-1.  My 3rd son was in my 1st son's troop and it was close to 1-to-1.  My 4th son's troop was 4-to-1 if not higher.   I can't call it a great experience.  

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 3
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes.  I don't think Boy Scout units can survive as a Cub Scout program for older boys.  If BSA tries to turn it into that, it will die.  Boys won't be interested in joining. Boys are aware of thi

May I ask why?  This would eliminate 1/3 of the ASMs that I've enjoyed working with.  Most trades (carpenters, plumbers, welders, electricians, etc.) farmers and enlisted military don't have or need a

My experience is parents DECIDE to drop out of cub scouts and kids DECIDE to drop out of Boy Scouts.  But, your comments are correct.

Posted Images