Charters and the United Methodist Church

I walked into church yesterday and the first thing my pastor said to me, as she looked at her phone, was that the lawyers for the United Methodist Church were recommending that churches not start any new charters with the BSA.  Also, that any that currently have a charter consider not renewing it.

I have not seen anything about this, but then I do not see the internal communications.

Has anyone heard anything about this proposal?

With the United Methodist Church being the largest charter partner group with BSA, this was cause a huge impact.

17 minutes ago, sri_oa161 said:

I walked into church yesterday and the first thing my pastor said to me, as she looked at her phone, was that the lawyers for the United Methodist Church were recommending that churches not start any new charters with the BSA.  Also, that any that currently have a charter consider not renewing it.

I have not seen anything about this, but then I do not see the internal communications.

Has anyone heard anything about this proposal?

With the United Methodist Church being the largest charter partner group with BSA, this was cause a huge impact.

At last count, almost 1000 UMC had filed claims against BSA National as part of the bankruptcy.

BSA is coming up with a new charter option.  I'd recommend reviewing this thread for more details.

I did see on Facebook that a United Methodist Church dropped their charter; however, others were indicating their churches were still planning on signing charter agreements.

6 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

BSA is coming up with a new charter option.  I'd recommend reviewing this thread for more details.

I did see on Facebook that a United Methodist Church dropped their charter; however, others were indicating their churches were still planning on signing charter agreements.

My problem with this is that as of right now it is simply rumor and speculation. Do you have anything to show that in fact this "Second option" is coming or is here? What you are suggesting is an overturning of a BSA system that dates back at least 80 years to the James West days.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Edited by CynicalScouter
19 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

My problem with this is that as of right now it is simply rumor and speculation. Do you have anything to show that in fact this "Second option" is coming or is here? What you are suggesting is an overturning of a BSA system that dates back at least 80 years to the James West days.

I probably should have stated "there is a rumor that …".  @gpurlee started the thread and if there are questions, I would recommend posting in that thread as he/she is more likely to be able to answer them.