The Boy Scouts In Crisis - A Historian's Perspective

I am a Scouting historian. This is what happens when your time in Scouting equals half the time that the program has been in existence. An unpaid but gratifying position (like most of our positions). My focus has primarily been my local council in which, in a fit of madness, I began a two-year process which ended up with a 500 plus page book. During that process, I went through literally thousands of local and national documents over two years trying to get a feel for the program at different time periods. I conducted countless interviews. And I came away with a very different understanding of the program.

As I did my research, it appeared to me that there were three separate past periods in the past century in which the Boy Scouts were in a time of serious crisis. Times that threatened the very existence of the program. Historians like to think that perhaps we can learn from history. And there are lessons to be learned from crises. I am hoping to do three separate posts:

(1)   A look back at past crises

(2)   Observations on the current crisis

(3)   What lies ahead and lessons from the past

I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Our first crisis unfolded soon after the formation of the BSA. The Boy Scout movement had spread like wildfire initially. Newspaper features captured the excitement of a new movement whose aim was to develop American manhood and virtue. It was a program based upon the highest ideals of the time. Boy Scouting was largely a grassroots movement where civic minded individuals and organizations almost raced to form a troop in communities throughout America. Organizational meetings were held in school gyms and church auditoriums. Local committees often selected an “outstanding” individual to lead this program.  Most of the new units did not charter with the New York City national office which was grossly undermanned and ill prepared for the deluge in interest. Instead they launched out on their own in hopes of being a part of this glorious new movement. This interest reached fever pitch when Baden-Powell, who had international superstar fame, made his journey by train across America in early 1912. He drew crowds of hundreds and thousands at his stops and was received as a hero and celebrity.

Yet by 1914, Scouting had almost disappeared in many of the communities in which it was initially organized. Troops ceased to function and many of the early efforts to establish councils collapsed. What happened? It was the lack of organizational support at the national level, a collapse of the early efforts to organize local councils due to a lack of monies and a shortage of training courses and materials for the fledging unit leadership.

A revival occurred after James West established a much stronger national presence and support system. National organizations such as Rotary encouraged their local clubs to provide key leadership and support including funding for camps. The advent of World War One created a surge of patriotism. The positive image of the Boy Scouts increased as they took part in Liberty Loan campaigns, grew Victory Gardens and were very visible in their local communities. As the war ended, Boy Scouting was on solid footing in many areas and the stage was set for rapid growth.

A second crisis emerged during the Great Depression. Across America, councils were unable to successfully fund raise to support a professional.  Many professionals worked without pay for weeks. Efforts to raise money were often met with letters to newspapers and even editorials criticizing Scout leadership for fund-raising for “camping programs” when communities could not even feed their families. Several camps were closed or threatened with closure when they were unable to pay the mortgages. Families struggled to send their sons to summer camp at the cost of a dollar a day. Some troops purchased a week of summer camp and rotated different boys each day. Yet, we saw amazing creativity in local troops and councils in maintaining a very visible presence and supporting the youth. Local businesses would offer “jobs” to Scouts such as distributing telephone directories and funds would go toward camp.  Fathers, Scouts and friends would travel to camp to help prepare it for the summer and to build new structures using donated materials. Following the end of World War Two, Boy Scouting was posed to enter its Golden Age of rapid growth and tremendous public support.

The third crisis seemed to emerge with little warning. By the mid 70’s, America was in the midst of enormous social change. There was American disillusionment with the Viet Nam war and the military. Boys in uniform conveyed an image that made many parents uncomfortable. Non-conformity was the movement of the day among many youth and Scouting no longer looked “cool”. Scouting had new competition for family time and money including new youth football and soccer programs. And the national leadership, in a well-intentioned effort to make Scouting more relevant and to outreach to underserved youth, made dramatic changes in the program structure Unfortunately, there was little buy-in from many of the current unit leadership. The new Scouting program that featured rodent control in apartments and how to ride a subway moved the program away from an outdoor focus. Scout leaders reacted by quitting in frustration. Several councils saw a nearly fifty percent drop in Boy Scout membership during that period.  National reacted by bringing back the legendary Greenbar Bill and a new outdoor focused program and handbook but the damage was done.

Scouting would continue and undergo several changes in the next decades in an effort to maintain its relevancy and to recruit and retain youth. Yet, by the beginning of the 21st century, new threats were emerging. And a “perfect storm” of events was forming that would threaten the very existence of the program.

Post Two – The Perfect Storm will follow.

Edited by gpurlee
  • Upvote 4
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@vol_scouter, you seem to be a grief magnet. I suspect that's because you're as close to national as we see. Anyway, here's a slightly different perspective. I don't really care about insta-palms, the

I am a Scouting historian. This is what happens when your time in Scouting equals half the time that the program has been in existence. An unpaid but gratifying position (like most of our positions).

My wife's first husband had nothing good to say about Scouting. Don't know why, of no consequence now.  Wife had been a Brownie for a short while growing up, but her father was a researcher for the Fi

I am looking forward to the next post.  Will you have the entire work available for download or something as well.  It is something I would want to add to my own historical archives, which includes a number of little known essays and such from the last couple of decades of turmoil.  For those that may have the stamina, you seem to have left open a number of jump off points for more detail.  Is that something to which we may look forward as well?

@gpurlee, have you read Rothschild’s piece on Lowe and  (indirectly) West and the proprietorship of “scout”? It does a lot to set the stage for some of the 21st century struggles.

Although, I think there were two related shifts starting in the 60s that also have a cumulative impact on where we are today:

• The ageist policy restricting rank advancement to under age 18 because “it’s a boys award.”
  • The rise of “bookwork” badges to the required list for Eagle and the removal of observe/report badges, like Bird Study, from that list.

The former shift basically assumes that green leaders would be better served through training provided by their councils instead of their units. It also removed an incentive for star and life scouts to serving as an SM/ASM in a troop to complete their rank advancement.

The latter shift assumed that BSA would make up for something that’s not being taught in schools (e.g. citizenship, family life) ... giving the impression that it could be used as an agent of cultural change. Interestingly, things like wildlife observation are the only practical way that a person can witness global warming without being dependent on media. In any case, scouting was seen as a way to push back against secularism and ultimately to promote a restrictive sexual ethic.

• Upvote 1

Do not underestimate the damage done in the 70's with the ISP (Improved Scouting Program).  That was a pivotal misstep and lack of direction and understanding by Ivory Tower National Leadership on how the program works.

So many left youth and so many youth NEVER became Scouts and while that immediate loss was epic, the longer term an effect that has driven the quest for the golden ring of "membership" lo these last 50 years.

Without being members as youth, many were not invested in the program.  As adults they did not involve their kids, so less members.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  National then embarked on many misbegotten and NON CORE efforts that really degraded the "fun with a purpose" thrust.  Sort of like Moses wandering in the desert.

Now the National movement organization is bankrupt, there are 90,000 abuse cases (thought that may have come about anyway) and membership has to be way less than the 2 million youth declared at the end of 2019.

I fear that Gloria Gaynor's words "I Will Survive" will not ring true for the BSA.

• Upvote 1

Jameson76 - In our community in 1976, there were six very active Scouting units. Five years later, all but one had ended. The new Scouting program was a disaster for the Boy Scouting program overall and helped to bring the Golden Age of Scouting to a close.  There were elements that worked well in our troop such as the Leadership Corps and the skill awards but honestly, we just continued a very strong and active outdoor program. Trips to the National Jamboree, Washington DC and Chicago helped.  And we saw significant growth from a combination of transfers and new Scouts.  

42 minutes ago, gpurlee said:

Jameson76 - In our community in 1976, there were six very active Scouting units. Five years later, all but one had ended. The new Scouting program was a disaster for the Boy Scouting program overall and helped to bring the Golden Age of Scouting to a close.  There were elements that worked well in our troop such as the Leadership Corps and the skill awards but honestly, we just continued a very strong and active outdoor program. Trips to the National Jamboree, Washington DC and Chicago helped.  And we saw significant growth from a combination of transfers and new Scouts.  

My dad and uncles Troop was like your troop. They accepted the new requirements, but otherwise just kept doing their usual outdoor program. 

• Like 1

I never liked the Improved Scouting Program (ISP) – particularly berets & belt loops – and it was not an improvement, but I’ve always thought it receives an excessive amount of ‘blame’.

Like other replies:  My memory of my urban Troop in the early 70’s and all the other Troops I knew thru District events, OA Lodge, summer camp staff, etc…  boys elected Patrol Leaders, planned menus and duty rosters, learned first aid, went camping just as often as pre ISP…  in short…  all the Scouting essentials.  ISP meant new patches and don't have to learn semaphore!

From the late 60’s & early 70’s membership in other Scout organizations like Scouts Canada and Girl Scouts of America has also declined. I recall reading that participation in adult organizations like civic, fraternal and service clubs has also declined during the last 40 – 50 years.

The larger societal issues contributed to the BSA decline much more then the ISP.  Explanations such as working parents, after school activities, etc have been discussed ad nausea. As an urban District person in the early 80’s and with no data to support my position… Many parents were not available and not many after school activities, but the top reason(s) for decline:  Fewer Organizations & their Heads’ will support a Unit and extreme difficulty recruiting qualified Unit Leaders.  

Anecdotally in my District it seemed that thru the early/mid 80’s many of those who kept Scouting going were young adult former Scouts who stayed with the Troop, Lodge, etc during college or job and became post college Scouters.  But gradually many more went ‘away’ after high school and lost the Scouting connection.  Is this just me or do other members recall similar circumstances?

7 hours ago, Wëlënakwsu said:

... Anecdotally in my District it seemed that thru the early/mid 80’s many of those who kept Scouting going were young adult former Scouts who stayed with the Troop, Lodge, etc during college or job and became post college Scouters.  But gradually many more went ‘away’ after high school and lost the Scouting connection.  Is this just me or do other members recall similar circumstances?

Of course. When, as I mentioned earlier, scouting is turned into child’s play rather than being recognized as a challenge — even for most adults — then when one becomes an adult one stops “play scouting” and leaves the BSA for real adventure. The age that one makes that transition has been pushed younger, 14 year olds are patrolling the land happily without the auspices of BSA.

Secondly, if while growing up, you abandoned religion, you were officially unwelcome in BSA. Or, if you found yourself to be homosexual adult, you were officially unwelcome. Then, we were told to unwelcome homosexual youth. That restrictive sexual ethic attracted some adults, but put off others. Hewing to a more permissive sexual ethic has not reversed that.

IMHO, in BSA history our national leadership was been isolated, lacking; outside influences aggravated their bad decisions which were further exacerbated by not communicating with exasperated scouters. 

Some top of my head examples

Founders fighting  over control, competition from other scout organizations and YMCA dropping troops , 

White Stag leadership training replacing our old Wood Badge which focused on scoutcraft and Patrol Method ,  society changes  in 60's and 70's, 

Improved Scouting Program,  ..arrggg where's my aspirin.

Summit Bechtel,  economic downturn,...well at least Summit outsider booking changed the rule for alcohol on scout properties to allowed if not a scout activity

Mortgaging Philmont,  fires,  Gawd National did not even have the Courtesy to discuss their decision with the Philmont Ranch Committee or the Waite family who found out months later via the media.

Chapter 11, covid, revenue loss

Lessons learned? 

My $0.01,

:(

Edited by RememberSchiff
clarity
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

This is very educational and disturbing.

But it kind of makes sense, adults who think they have a better idea and want to prove their theory by messing with an already successful design. We see it on this forum a lot. Scoutmasters who brag about a grand theory and work their program outside the box, only to disappear quietly. Even recently bragging adults showed how they fast tracked their new girls troop through the ranks and skills to show up the boy troops at competitions and to get the Eagle in minimal time. 

I'm guessing the top leaders at National have no accountability to hold them on any path. As a result. a monotonous traditional program, egos, and just plain bad managing skills steered the association down the lost road.

Of course we all saw it. We talked about National's idiotic policies and changes, but I don't think we saw how bad it is. At least I didn't. They left just enough of the working machine alone so that their new ideas didn't bring the program to a complete halt. My eyes started to open with the addition of the Leadership Method. That is when I realized they were really lost, and it scared me that they were killing the game with a purpose. 

How did these people get hired.

Barry

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I'm guessing the top leaders at National have no accountability to hold them on any path. As a result. a monotonous traditional program, egos, and just plain bad managing skills steered the association down the lost road.

None whatsoever.

35 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

How did these people get hired.

Instead of people with experience in the program they either look for warm bodies who get promoted, or folks with academic credentials. When I worked for national supply, my boss started off as a warm body, a sales clerk, and gradually moved up to manager. But the boss has 0 field experience in the program. When she hired me to be part of a trial program, it was because I had experience in the field and working summer camp. Every single proposal she questioned because she had no idea how summer camp operates. When I tried to explain why I suggested things, I was ignored. Best examples include shutting down the trading post during night time activities when no one shops and closing the trading post after the last camper left instead the scheduled staff departure. Try to explain the staff leave after the last campers do. This went on for two summers, until she was selected to work jamboree staff. She freaked out at the "long hours" she had to work, but had to remind her that she had the summer camp trading post open for longer hours, and that using sales stats, we could have cut 1/4 of the hours and still worked over 40 hours.

As for academic credentials, I have been told that a national training director had 0 field experience, but a PhD in educational leadership. While there are a lot of good PhDs out there, there are also a lot of PhDs who have no real world experience, and their theories are not viable in the real world.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, Wëlënakwsu said:

Anecdotally in my District it seemed that thru the early/mid 80’s many of those who kept Scouting going were young adult former Scouts who stayed with the Troop, Lodge, etc during college or job and became post college Scouters.  But gradually many more went ‘away’ after high school and lost the Scouting connection.  Is this just me or do other members recall similar circumstances?

Not just you...my circumstances for staying in fit your description to a tee...and most of my friends in Scouting as a youth simply left the program when they "aged out."  It is sad that we even have this phrase... 

Scouting should have no age restrictions.  How many men out there are full of regret at not earning their Eagle?  I know at least a dozen who would come back in a heartbeat to finish their goal.

As an Eagle Scout, I would welcome the accomplishment from any person, regardless of age.  What would your unit look like if there were patrols of different ages...or lifelong patrols!!

Edited by InquisitiveScouter