Advancement Is Based on Experiential Learning

Agree -

Just because a Troop does not have advancement centric outings does not mean advancement may not occur on outings.  It should be organic.  

As an example, these are requirements 9B of the Camping merit badge

On any of these camping experiences, you must do TWO of the following, only with proper preparation and under qualified supervision:

1. Hike up a mountain where, at some point, you are at least 1,000 feet higher in elevation from where you started.
  2. Backpack, snowshoe, or cross-country ski for at least four miles.
  3. Take a bike trip of at least 15 miles or at least four hours.
  4. Take a non-motorized trip on the water of at least four hours or 5 miles.
  5. Plan and carry out an overnight snow camping experience.
  6. Rappel down a rappel route of 30 feet or more.

Annually we do 5 of these in the normal course of our normal outdoor program.  That is what Scouting should be, going out and doing stuff.  Sadly we rarely if ever are able to PLAN a snow camping experience what with being down south and all.

• Upvote 1

Our troop was a out door boy run centered program. Advancement was never encourage over any other method. In fact, the PLC was responsible for applying  all the methods and advancement was never high on their list. In 5 years time, our troop was 2nd only to an Eagle Mill with the number of Eagles in the district. 

The struggle here is convincing adults that a healthy advancement program is the biproduct of a healthy outdoor patrol method program. Maybe if the adults hear this over and over, they might give it a chance.

Barry

• Upvote 1

My troop did a Webelos/AoL event recently. We had the parents to the side and let the Scouts led the Cubs. The adults talked and we showed the Troop plan: our unit hikes or camps at least 1 if not 2 a month every month but December where we do a rock climbing lock in.

The Cub parents were amazed. "Where do you get the time for rank advancement?" they asked. And as a former Den Leader I got that. Cubs is so totally focused or can be focused on "this week/weeks is this adventure or that adventure". When we explained that the rank advancement comes automatically with the outdoor activities they got it.

As was said, at least for Scouts, BSA rank advancement is the naturally occurring byproduct of outdoor engagement and activity.

52 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

... Cubs is so totally focused or can be focused on "this week/weeks is this adventure or that adventure". When we explained that the rank advancement comes automatically with the outdoor activities they got it.

As was said, at least for Scouts, BSA rank advancement is the naturally occurring byproduct of outdoor engagement and activity.

I totally get that.  When my sons were in CUBS, it was before "adventures".  We were often trying to piece together activities to close out individual requirements. 

Perhaps the new Cub "Adventures" is the response to that requirement focus.  I'm not sure if it's better or just different.  

2 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

We're trying to do that with our Tiger den this week.  Taking a one mile "hike" with their 6 essentials.  Not sure what we are going to see since it will be dark, but we'll give it a shot.

Night hikes are often the best.