Update on new Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion MB

22 hours ago, mashmaster said:

Lots of talking, not a lot of listening.  I haven't seen people listening to the other side, on either side of the MB on this thread.  That is the lesson that I would want scouts to learn, leadership is about listening and well as talking.  There are valid points to both sides of most issues.

You chose to take it a pessimistic.  That is your choice.  I stated facts with no side one way or another.

And trust me, I am a sailor, If I wanted to call names I can do that very well.  That is a better discussion to hold over an adult beverage at a bar.

I accept your declaration of intent at face value, but you still have not specified what is "vile". Your further comments indicate you find the conversation worthwhile after all, so I'm glad you apparently see it that way.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have major issues with BSA actively entering the political arena.  By mentioning B. Taylor, they have gone way beyond selling war bonds and into anti-police propaganda.  That is something that they

Likewise. Which is all I'm looking for. But by the chosen phrasing, I fear that this is NOT what we are seeing. If "white privilege"/"check your privilege" or "systemic racism" is brought up

Let's start with the "equity" portion. Equity is an impossible goal to achieve. No matter how we strive we will never achieve equal outcomes. The goal of "equity" is a myth, an impossible achieveme

Posted Images

Ha...just got this email this morning from council

Dear Scout Leader,

If you have not already done so, please take a moment today to complete this brief survey about your experiences with diversity and inclusion in the local Scouting program. Please take 10-15 minutes to complete this survey between now and December 31. Your responses will help us identify areas for improvement over the coming years. 

Thank you for all you do for young people in our community!

Yes, this morning (31 Dec deadline??)...I'm going to do the survey now...

Just now, InquisitiveScouter said:

Dear Scout Leader,

If you have not already done so, please take a moment today to complete this brief survey about your experiences with diversity and inclusion in the local Scouting program. Please take 10-15 minutes to complete this survey between now and December 31. Your responses will help us identify areas for improvement over the coming years. 

Well it's good to know that not only has National screwed up the roll out of this (delayed past the 1/1/21 release) but Councils are also messing this up.

Just amazing, amazing work here.

• Haha 1

Here's a good one in the survey:

-----------------------------------------

9. Which of the following best describes you?

Asian or Pacific Islander

Black or African American

Hispanic or Latino

Native American or Alaskan Native

White or Caucasian

Multiracial or Biracial

A race/ethnicity not listed here

----------------------------------------

I chose the last one....identifying people like this is part of the problem.  Until we stop the underlying divisions, you will always perpetuate the underlying divisions.

"Human" isn't one of the categories...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 3
7 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Dear Scout Leader,

I hope this survey is not another non-transparent, manipulated post justification of a National decision.

My $0.02

• Upvote 3
28 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

I hope this survey is not another non-transparent, manipulated post justification of a National decision.

My $0.02

Councils are going to be scrambling to get MBCs for this PLUS all Councils have been told to expand their diversity up to and bordering on the creation of quotas.

This was part of the Churchill plans

0033.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

IMHO, Councils should be scrambling to deliver their summer camp 2021. Otherwise Councils will meet the above percentage quotas of new demographics by default that is, by losing existing demographics.

Meeting new Churchill membership metrics by losing existing members, what a thought. :confused:

Another diversion from National? :unsure:

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Like 3
Just now, RememberSchiff said:

IMHO, Councils should be scrambling to deliver their summer camp 2021. Otherwise Councils will meet the above percentage quotas of new demographics by default - losing existing demographics.

Meeting new Churchill membership metrics by losing existing members, what a thought. :confused:

Another diversion from National? :unsure:

Reminds us of A Modest Proposal ;) 

• Upvote 2

There is a potential huge error in that Churchill plan goal of "try to achieve 50% of your membership male and female"

It assumes that females want the BSA program in the same numbers that males do.  Or, another way to put it...it assumes that, of all the youth out there who want to do this Scouting program, that half of them are female.

If empirical market research does not back that up, it is a doomed proposal. Do you think they did that market analysis?

Here's some reasonably good stuff...

https://rmsresults.com/2013/05/15/market-research-case-study-girl-scouts-needs-assessment/

Read the 12 themes...sound familiar?

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

There is a potential huge error in that Churchill plan goal of "try to achieve 50% of your membership male and female"

It assumes that females want the BSA program in the same numbers that males do.  Or, another way to put it...it assumes that, of all the youth out there who want to do this Scouting program, that half of them are female.

If empirical market research does not back that up, it is a doomed proposal. Do you think they did that market analysis?

Here's some reasonably good stuff...

https://rmsresults.com/2013/05/15/market-research-case-study-girl-scouts-needs-assessment/

Read the 12 themes...sound familiar?

Possibly it's a mistake - but also perhaps not.

Scouting membership is in the range of 3% of total available youth today.  Female membership is certainly much, much lower.  It would strike me that there is a good probability that increasing the number of female Scouts is an achievable goal.  

1 minute ago, ParkMan said:

Possibly it's a mistake - but also perhaps not.

Scouting membership is in the range of 3% of total available youth today.  Female membership is certainly much, much lower.  It would strike me that there is a good probability that increasing the number of female Scouts is an achievable goal.  

Agreed, that increasing the number is an achievable goal.  But to target it at 50% may not be.

Basically, the question is...why 50%??

44 minutes ago, BQZip said:

Equity

RIght - it strikes me that they believe the Scouting membership should mirror general population trends.  We saw something similar with minority recruiting.

I think one could argue that they could have introduced a series of graduated steps with milestones for councils to achieve.  It looks to me like they just took the overall goal and said - "councils, make this your goal too." 

We can differ on whether it's the right goal or not, but it does seem to be what is happening.

Edited by ParkMan
typos
  • Upvote 1