Update on new Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion MB

7 hours ago, Scouted2000 said:

Where are the official requirements. Its January 1st almost 2nd

Welcome.

They did not release them on time.

The requirements were done by November, and if you look at this post you can see the leaked version.

The problem that was holding things up was that MBCs for this new merit badge must be "vetted" by each council and they had a tough time figuring out a vetting process in time for January 1.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have major issues with BSA actively entering the political arena.  By mentioning B. Taylor, they have gone way beyond selling war bonds and into anti-police propaganda.  That is something that they

Likewise. Which is all I'm looking for. But by the chosen phrasing, I fear that this is NOT what we are seeing. If "white privilege"/"check your privilege" or "systemic racism" is brought up

Let's start with the "equity" portion. Equity is an impossible goal to achieve. No matter how we strive we will never achieve equal outcomes. The goal of "equity" is a myth, an impossible achieveme

Posted Images

@CynicalScouter, leaks don’t count.

The official requirements and 2021 changes are here: https://www.scouting.org/programs/scouts-bsa/advancement-and-awards/merit-badges/ 

That’s where all of the scouts and scouters in the country go to get an outline of their badges. (BTW, it annoys me that this can’t be a single page of plain text with a navigation bar on the margin.)

As of today, there is no DE&I MB. I got nothing to tell my scouts/scouters about.

I’m not that surprised. Even without controversy, publishing on a six month time frame is a challenge. I’m pretty sure at least a year’s work went into each 2021 requirement change that is published. Fact is, if they hadn’t rolled it out two weeks ago, National should have plainly announced that they will push back their timeline a couple of months. But, speaking plainly is not in marketing and public relation’s wheelhouse.

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, BQZip said:

The terminology used includes a plethora of loaded words/phrases by design. Example: Black Lives Matter. The problem is that there are (at least) 3 definitions. All 3 are used as it suits the speaker to promote their agenda:

Diversity does not equal Black Lives Matter.  One can discuss diversity, equity, and inclusion without discussing black lives matter.  The definition I used is from the dictionary.  

my point is that diversity and the idea that people of different races, religion, socio-economic backgrounds, etc, have value and should be included is not in of itself political.  

8 hours ago, BQZip said:

That's completely false. If you have a scout/leader that, for example, repeatedly lies or is disruptive, we can remove them from scouting regardless of whether their actions were legal or illegal. You are attempting to conflate reasonably objecting to immoral behavior with illegal act

This is an example of what I was trying to address: Let’s say your faith does not support the concept of homosexuality and finds it immoral.  Homosexuality exists and is not illegal.  The scouts will experience someone who is homosexual, if they have not already.  The point I am trying to make is that these scouts will find themselves with a challenge, how do they reconcile this as they grow older?  What will they do if they end up working with a homosexual?  

Sent from my iPad
4 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

And yet, BSA opted to do so. And then had to backtrack and issue an apology to the Law Enforcement explorer units.

So your issue is with BLM, got it.  But again, BLM does not equal diversity and the concepts behind it.  Even if BLM did not exist, there would still be a need to discuss diversity in this world.  BLM did not create the word or the idea of excluding people due to race, sex, sexual persuasion, socio-economic status, etc.  

• Downvote 2
17 minutes ago, Navybone said:

my point is that diversity and the idea that people of different races, religion, socio-economic backgrounds, etc, have value and should be included is not in of itself political.  

But, pursuing diversity as an end, and including someone simply because they help you reach that end, is evil.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Navybone said:

the practice or quality of including or involving people from a range of different social and ethnic backgrounds and of different genders, sexual orientations, etc.” 

this is political?  Really, that is what you think?  If you do, then this is a waste of time even trying to discuss it.  

I'm not going in circles with you about this. If you don't want to discuss it stop discussing it.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Navybone said:

So your issue is with BLM, got it.  But again, BLM does not equal diversity and the concepts behind it

No, but BSA has decided to align themselves and embrace them and use them as the basis for the MB.

That's not political?

That's why the other MBC for this in my district plans on showing scouts a Blue Lives Matter video

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, CynicalScouter said:

No, but BSA has decided to align themselves and embrace them and use them as the basis for the MB.

That's not political?

Depends - I had not seen that they used BLM as the basis of the badge.  The BLM provide information for the requirements or the instruction booklet?   Does what they provided expand beyond understanding and recognizing racism?  I don’t know.  
I am not a fan of everything BLM stands for, but I do know that the accepting people, regardless of skin color, race, sexuality, sociology-economic status, education, etc, is basic human kindness and professionalism when one is an adult in the work force.  There is nothing political about that.  And I have seen youth come into the work force totally unprepared to start working with other unlike them.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Navybone said:

Depends - I had not seen that they used BLM as the basis of the badge.

They announced this adhering to Black Lives Matter (note the caps).

https://scoutingwire.org/bsas-commitment-to-act-against-racial-injustice/

And then had to backpedal, hard, 10 days later in a letter to Law Enforcement Exploring Volunteers

1 hour ago, CynicalScouter said:

I agree. But in the absence of anything even approaching transparency from National, it is what I am working with with my troop.

I have many other things to work on with my troop.

I wish I knew who said this...until I can find out who, I'll take credit.

"When we disguise our feelings as reason, we make all nonsense possible."

This is the ultimate problem in all of this... properly identifying the use of emotion as support for a position.  It is a logical fallacy.

The forces which push the current agendas (aka, the left) tend (I said "tend") to think with their emotions rather than demonstrable facts.  You can see the results in the news every day.

The greatest accomplishment of our Western civilization and thought is that INDIVIDUALS MATTER.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

We have sought over the history of our country to embody these principles in our Constitution and laws.  We will always be a work in progress.

Whenever, and wherever we diverge from these basic principles, we fail.  Slavery was a fail.  Denying rights and citizenship to natives was a fail.  Denying property rights and suffrage to women was a fail.  All these failures were the result of focusing on a GROUP, rather than the INDIVIDUAL. 

BLM, White supremacists, Antifa, Proud Boys, SJWs, robber barons, Marxists, monopolists, postmodernists, diversity worshippers, etc. etc. etc. all fail to hold to these basic principles.

Identify for me a specific case where some individual is denied these unalienable rights by another individual, institution, or government, and I will fight with you for change and justice. 

If you look at a list of landmark decisions for civil rights by the Supreme Court, you will see that one party is almost always an INDIVIDUAL. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_landmark_court_decisions_in_the_United_States

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
Added link to Supreme Courts cases list.
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

They announced this adhering to Black Lives Matter (note the caps).

https://scoutingwire.org/bsas-commitment-to-act-against-racial-injustice/

And then had to backpedal, hard, 10 days later in a letter to Law Enforcement Exploring Volunteers

I saw all that.  But I have not seen anything since then to suggest the MB is a joint BLM BSA badge or that BLM was involved in its development 

• Downvote 1